The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Yep, Fox's limitations are really starting to show now. Unless there's a drastic, consistent improvement in performances and results that sees us survive comfortably - which at present seems highly unlikely - then we should be looking to replace him in the summer at the latest.

11 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Thought Pawlett and Niskanen did well today although as usual Pawlett gets injured. Niskanen has looked brutal recently but deserves to keep his spot for the next game. 

How can he have looked brutal recently? He played 11 minutes against Killie, looked good, and his last appearances prior to that were 4 minutes in November, and 54 and 15 minutes in October. That was his first start of the season for United today.

He's not been given a proper chance in my view, and was displaced when we brought in Watt and played him in the same position for some reason. I've often listened to and read fans berating the player, but he's hardly played this season, despite him having one of the best attitudes and fitness levels at the club.

24 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

How can he have looked brutal recently? He played 11 minutes against Killie, looked good, and his last appearances prior to that were 4 minutes in November, and 54 and 15 minutes in October. That was his first start of the season for United today.

He's not been given a proper chance in my view, and was displaced when we brought in Watt and played him in the same position for some reason. I've often listened to and read fans berating the player, but he's hardly played this season, despite him having one of the best attitudes and fitness levels at the club.

Fair dos, recently was the wrong choice of words but earlier in the season when he was getting brought on he was poor however he definitely deserves a chance to stake a claim for a regular place as it’s not like we have a team of players who are in such form that changes shouldn’t be made. 

17 hours ago, skinny arab said:

Fair dos, recently was the wrong choice of words but earlier in the season when he was getting brought on he was poor however he definitely deserves a chance to stake a claim for a regular place as it’s not like we have a team of players who are in such form that changes shouldn’t be made. 

The problem with Niskanen is he is a winger. A winger who is best at driving forward into space. He has proved this. Unfortunately we play him at left back (and sometimes right back), or we play very slowly and give him the ball surrounded by defenders.

This is one of the issues with our season. We have players, but the manager won't use them properly (or at all). He seems to have an issue with players who want to drive forward and not slow play, allegedly safe option all the time.

I find the manager's blindness utterly frustrating.

15 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

The problem with Niskanen is he is a winger. A winger who is best at driving forward into space. He has proved this. Unfortunately we play him at left back (and sometimes right back), or we play very slowly and give him the ball surrounded by defenders.

This is one of the issues with our season. We have players, but the manager won't use them properly (or at all). He seems to have an issue with players who want to drive forward and not slow play, allegedly safe option all the time.

Immi is certainly a fairly limited player, but I do find it odd the lack of opportunities he has been given. It's not as if the alternatives have been any better.

I really felt for Peter Pawlett though, he was excellent before his injury. Poor c**t can't catch a break.

23 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Butcher was a p***k. A totally selfish layer typified by his sending off against Aberdeen last year.

Should still be replacing him though 

Yes. Can we all stop pretending he was the second coming of Claude Makelele, please? We need a player like him for sure, but a much better one.

Besides, the reasons he is no longer are the club are not footballing reasons. There was never ever going to be a way back for him at United.

54 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

When we signed Niskanen he were told he was a winger but whenever he plays for Finland it’s at wingback so not sure what his natural position is meant to be. I think given his work rate/playing style he needs to be playing in a high tempo team to get the best out of him and we have to be one of the slowest most pedestrian teams in the league at times. 

1 hour ago, skinny arab said:

When we signed Niskanen he were told he was a winger but whenever he plays for Finland it’s at wingback so not sure what his natural position is meant to be. I think given his work rate/playing style he needs to be playing in a high tempo team to get the best out of him and we have to be one of the slowest most pedestrian teams in the league at times. 

This. We are so slow, predictible and easy to defend against it us unreal. Yet everytime we play well or do something well on the park it appears, to me anyway, that is because we have actually moved the ball quickly, forward and stretching the oposition. For an example see Fletcher's goal yesterday.

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Yes. Can we all stop pretending he was the second coming of Claude Makelele, please? We need a player like him for sure, but a much better one.

Aye he did well for us in midfield in the championship, but was out of place once we went up a league. Our best form last season came after Butcher got injured in the 1st derby and a regular spot opened up in midfield for Levitt. By the time he was suspended by the club he was back at centre-half and performing better than he had at any point since our promotion.

1 hour ago, captainkev said:

Aye he did well for us in midfield in the championship, but was out of place once we went up a league. Our best form last season came after Butcher got injured in the 1st derby and a regular spot opened up in midfield for Levitt. By the time he was suspended by the club he was back at centre-half and performing better than he had at any point since our promotion.

Oddly enough he'd be perfect if occupying the RCB slot for this current team 🤦‍♂️

If he wasnae such a shagger that is.

Would have had Butcher back for centre half, not centre mid. Dont feel hes mobile enough or good enough on the ball for midfield. 

I get the impression there was no way back for him after the way he departed though.

Would have added some much needed dig but he had a rep of a hatchet man (at times very deserved) and think the refs will be looking out for him too.