The Dundee United Thread 22/23

10 games to the split. Hearts and Cream Buns games are damage limitation frankly. Of the other eight:

St Johnstone, Aberdeen, St Mirren, Hibs, Livingston home.

Ross County, Livingston, Motherwell away.

That ‘Well game will be huge. Lucky our away form is so good this season.

I'm usually positive in my outlook but that was absolute garbage tonight.

I've given Fox praise when it's been due, but tonight he deserves to be slaughtered.

I don't consider myself a master tactician; I've never played football professionally and I just don't get excited by the intricacies of football tactics.

However, even I can see how playing three incredibly slow centre backs together at the back and an old striker who doesn't move too much up front means that there will be huge gaps for the opposition to exploit. Result? Killie have something like 700 attempts at goal.

Absolutely fucking basic stuff.

The only positives were Macleod and Pawlett. Pawlett gets a lot of flack but unlike the rest of the midfield he actually gets the ball further up the pitch rather than passes it sideways or backwards.

We do have a game in hand and we are fortunate to gave good form at home and a team on the same points as us in absolute freefall, but we are currently bottom.

Massive alarm bells should be ringing and if I was Mark Ogren, I'd be seeking expert advice from someone to come in and assess what's going wrong. If it's Asghar - and for all the criticism he gets, I'm sure most of it is because the hive mind have simply decided they don't like the cut of his jib - then he should go. If it's a coaching thing, then that needs sorted.

But something has to change.

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeker said:

The Morrissey guy that says thank you is always funny. Devastating repartee. To be fair, they absolutely would beat us, but won't have to. Straight down. There is a light that never goes out.

Behave. Their best player still wouldn't get a game for us.

Poor performance that, with a manager seemingly unable to change anything.

How Levitt got 90 minutes is beyond me. He's a good player but he's not what we need given where we are. Our best 45mins this season arguably was v Hibs away with Djoum and Sibbald together in the middle - but it's not seen the light of day since. Unfair of me to single out Levitt, as he just as bad as most of the others.

I'd love to know the script with Cudjoe - only player on our books that gets the and runs at defenders. Quite why Fox thinks that's something we can do without I don't know.

Horrible atmosphere in the stand in tonight. Fans arguing with each other and a lot of frustration. Can imagine the players picked up on it.

This week (v Celtic, the end of the transfer window, away to Kilmarnock and away to Hearts) was always going to be tough. A decent run of home games after that that will hopefully get us back on track 

Not really comfortable with fellow Arabs spouting off atm.

Pride before a fall and all that.

Team looks rotten. Another insipid performance when Mulgrew is in the team. He still thinks he's got it which he sadly doesn't. His one touch clearances which go straight to opposition players another feature again. Graham just pinging it constantly rather than taking a more simple pass contributing to Killie getting an attack and shot on goal constantly.

Edwards actually pick of the back 3 for me done well aside from a couple of stramashes he was involved with.

Smith can gtf.

McMann done well.

Most of the team looked dejected last night and need a manager who can change it up when required. For all the possession we had we done nothing with it.

42 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Team looks rotten. Another insipid performance when Mulgrew is in the team. He still thinks he's got it which he sadly doesn't. His one touch clearances which go straight to opposition players another feature again. Graham just pinging it constantly rather than taking a more simple pass contributing to Killie getting an attack and shot on goal constantly.

Edwards actually pick of the back 3 for me done well aside from a couple of stramashes he was involved with.

Smith can gtf.

McMann done well.

Most of the team looked dejected last night and need a manager who can change it up when required. For all the possession we had we done nothing with it.

Would agree with lots of this. The atmosphere in the away end last night was as sour and toxic as I can remember. Every single mistake, regardless of how innocuous, got hounded on by, what wasn't far removed from, a baying mob. Fairly sure a significant percentage of our fans revel in getting on the players' backs like that.

As far as I can see our we're hamstrung by finances and we'll just need to go with what we've got. Ogren wouldn't appear to be returning to the well to dish out more cash to finance more sackings, more appointments, more signings (When a gambler has a bad afternoon in the bookies, the sensible thing to do is cut his losses and leave it at that, rather than eye up the 20/1 shot in the last that he likes the look of).

None of this excuses last night as the players and manager were awful having looked pretty decent since the WC, but they look so brittle and lacking in confidence I'm not sure what constant berating of them actually achieves.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Smith can gtf.

McMann done well.

Agree a lot of the issues start at the back, and bringing in Loick Ayina, who appears to be right sided, won't solve the conundrum of who to play on the left of central defence. 

The lack of compusure and distribution skills from the back must sap the confidence of players further forward. I was wanting the four full back system dumped, but don't think in any games that was employed United looked as bad at the back as they did last night. I wonder how much of the possession we had last night involved players fannying around with the ball in defence.

A word about the keeper: thought he wasn't guilty of wasting possession, and tried to get the ball out early quite often, but confidence elsewhere in the team seemed shot.

Finally, as @Steven W says, it seems a %age of United fans get comfort out of moaning. Not signing a star in the window had some frothing at the mouth before travelling to Rugby Park

I think it's probably best for all concerned that we do go down so that we can come back up properly next time. Obviously we were miles clear when the first Covid season was abandoned and would have won the league but we didn't actually win the league. The universe doesn't like shortcuts and I think we're being karmically encumbered by being arbitrarily promoted without fully earning it. Like Hearts have been given a karmic boost to make up for their demotion (:lol:). The only way to fix that is to go down and then come back up again (hopefully a bit quicker next time).

Go down, spend the Souttar money on bringing in latter day Pressley, Coyle, McSwegan (and Sandy Robertson) types and then fight our way back. Then we can start again with a clear slate. 

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Agree a lot of the issues start at the back, and bringing in Loick Ayina, who appears to be right sided, won't solve the conundrum of who to play on the left of central defence. 

The lack of compusure and distribution skills from the back must sap the confidence of players further forward. I was wanting the four full back system dumped, but don't think in any games that was employed United looked as bad at the back as they did last night. I wonder how much of the possession we had last night involved players fannying around with the ball in defence.

A word about the keeper: thought he wasn't guilty of wasting possession, and tried to get the ball out early quite often, but confidence elsewhere in the team seemed shot.

Finally, as @Steven W says, it seems a %age of United fans get comfort out of moaning. Not signing a star in the window had some frothing at the mouth before travelling to Rugby Park

Was saying this last night, the keeper has been getting pelters but he's had to deal with a shambles in front of him.