The Dundee United Thread 22/23

35 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot_20230201_080259_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a9d175d74547ad78dd5bdd249739de7a.jpg

Celtic wouldnt be due any of the fee through the "development" type thingy.

Assuming thats right I didnt realise that clubs that take players on loan (Fleetwood) are due part of the developement fee. If so Ross County would be due something as well Id have thought. 

Edited by low-life

Enough is enough. I am not one for moaning but how can we possibly be this incompetent!! We let go of Watt and Clark and are now left with Fletcher, 16 year old and an unproven anaku (who btw has been punted from the squad recently cause he’s shit) We are in a relegation fight FFS! Motherwell signed 3  last night…….TA your time is up. Let’s not forget we actually had Europe this season, look at the state of the squad!!! Failure after fucking failure. Scouted imari for around 2 year and he’s hopeless, Neilson f**k up, Finland keeper, harkes 1 year deal….it’s in black and white! The list of failures is endless. We as fans deserve so much better. 

I’m worried I’m becoming a ‘Happy Clapper’ 😊

The picture of our transfer window activity from the BBC page is doing the rounds this morning – and by large getting torn to shreds. We’ve not strengthened admittedly, but I’d suggest there’s a very good reason for that (£££££). However are we really any worse off than before?

Watt – second choice striker. Disruptive influence in the dressing room it would seem. Costs us a fortune in wages too

Eriksson – back up keeper who looked shaky the few times he did play. If Birigihitti gets injured, I think we’d be able to get an emergency loan keeper

Chalmers – was already out on loan

Glass – was already out on loan

Meekison – wasn’t getting any meaningful gametime, although I’m puzzled as to why

Bisland – never played a minute

Duffy – was already out on loan

Robson – never played a minute

Watson – just back from long term injury.

Hutchinson – never played a minute

Adams – never played a minute

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

The picture of our transfer window activity from the BBC page is doing the rounds this morning – and by large getting torn to shreds. We’ve not strengthened admittedly, but I’d suggest there’s a very good reason for that (£££££). However are we really any worse off than before?

Watt – second choice striker. Disruptive influence in the dressing room it would seem. Costs us a fortune in wages too

This Is Fine GIF

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

The first choice XI isn't any weaker but we're dreadfully short of options up front. Even a fully fit Fletcher is only going to manage about 70 minutes and there's nothing similar to replace him with off the bench. If he gets injured then we're really going to struggle. Does seem odd that they didn't have someone lined up to replace Watt. Or maybe they did and it fell through, or they're a free agent. It doesn't look good though.

Edited by Pull My Strings

Kinda funny how the same folk that were arguing that we should spend a fortune in bringing Watt in early 12 months ago are now delighted to get rid, leaving us with the thinnest forward depth we've had, ever?

I mean, we've been playing with two up top of late - Fletcher and Middleton. After that we have a 16yo and a guy kept out of the squad by a 16yo. Gonna be painful staring at the bench when we've got a couple of injuries and when we're a goal down to [insert relegation rival] in a few weeks. Stick Edwards up top, I guess!

The crazy thing is - looking at Watt's stats - he'd scored 3 goals and an assist in his previous 5 games before that wild sending off v Motherwell (positively overflowing with goals by his standards), then he's left on the bench for five games with barely an appearance. Then, gets a start v St Johnstone cos our ageing striker is injured, plays well and scores the winning goal and that's basically it - gone!

Y'all crazy!

13 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Kinda funny how the same folk that were arguing that we should spend a fortune in bringing Watt in early 12 months ago are now delighted to get rid, leaving us with the thinnest forward depth we've had, ever?

Nah, that's neither funny nor true. Nobody was arguing last year that we should "spend a fortune" on Watt, nor is anyone expressing delight at letting him go. That's just typical hyperbolic nonsense. 

Last year some folk were relaxed about a modest fee being paid to bring him in early and some of those probably remain relaxed about letting him leave after a disappointing year. These things happen.

What is kinda funny is that the same people who reacted hysterically to spending any fee on him last year are now reacting hysterically to him leaving. :lol: Not really. Some folk just react hysterically to everything.

I think the major issue for most people with Watt is that paying a fee for him in January when we were getting him for free in the summer seemed a bit daft, especially when you considered his history of taking the huff.

I notice this morning there are quotes saying "I'll get my chance at St Mirren". Aye, until you down tools again.

Excellent at his best, massively frustrating 95% of the time

13 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I think the major issue for most people with Watt is that paying a fee for him in January when we were getting him for free in the summer seemed a bit daft, especially when you considered his history of taking the huff.

I notice this morning there are quotes saying "I'll get my chance at St Mirren". Aye, until you down tools again.

Excellent at his best, massively frustrating 95% of the time

There's a reason why he's played for about 108 different clubs 

6 hours ago, Lancashirearab said:

Happy to help. It gave me the chance to flick through it again.

Page 90 was good.

20230201_052418.jpg

Thanks for this and sending those PMs. Unfortunately you must have different edition - those are roughly pages 100 to 103 in mine!

I'm missing end of Chapter #10 to start of #11... from:

[paragraph starts / ends]     In Dundee it was now Dens Park which was the subject of rumour concerning behind-the-scenes moves. / Dundee FC finished ninth in the First Division and United 14th in the Second.

to:

[paragraph starts / ends]     This final match was played against Rangers at Hampden on 4 May 1940 and the attendance of 71,000 reflected the wartime hunger which existed for the game in Scotland. / It had been a great effort, though.

10 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Thanks for this and sending those PMs. Unfortunately you must have different edition - those are roughly pages 100 to 103 in mine!

I'm missing end of Chapter #10 to start of #11... from:

[paragraph starts / ends]     In Dundee it was now Dens Park which was the subject of rumour concerning behind-the-scenes moves. / Dundee FC finished ninth in the First Division and United 14th in the Second.

to:

[paragraph starts / ends]     This final match was played against Rangers at Hampden on 4 May 1940 and the attendance of 71,000 reflected the wartime hunger which existed for the game in Scotland. / It had been a great effort, though.

I am out on a strike rally at the moment, but will sort you out with the missing pages when I get home.

1 hour ago, Lancashirearab said:

I am out on a strike rally at the moment, but will sort you out with the missing pages when I get home.

Thank goodness you have the book to hand, my copy is lost in the loft.

Regarding panic/don't panic, in the Relegation thread I've suggested the cost of Summer '22 has affected United's ability to add effectively to the squad. 

Soem other supporters think this too, but I accept a large number were wanting new faces to augment and cover selection possibilities.

For me, some of the squad need to give themselves a shake, get heads down and recover form before it's too late for them, and obviously the club.