The Dundee United Thread 22/23

56 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

Today tells me Ogren has had enough. 

I'm not thrilled about the lack of recruitment in this window, but this seems like a little bit of an over-reaction.

Besides, even if he was fed up here, you'd imagine the amount of money we've just pocketed for a former youth player sold before he even came aboard might change his mind again.

Ah well, at least we managed to sign a right footed centre back 😅

He might be shite but on the other hand, he might do ok. If he's got the physicality required then that's at least a start. We've seen enough young players from English teams come up here on loan and not succeed to know that it's likely the boy isn't going to be a huge success, but then again he could be a diamond like Curtis Good.

I wanted a centre back, a central midfielder and a striker. So far we've only got the centre back. Whether we get the striker in on a free quickly is the next question. Leave it a while and you end up signing shite like Max Biamou or a player who takes months to get fit like Eddie Ofere. It's really not ideal.

I'm happy enough Watt is gone. Even that interview on Sky at St. Mirren made him sound like a nightmare to manage. That being said, ideally it would have been outwith the league, but then player power is king and if the choice was a player the manager obviously doesn't want, who is likely our highest paid player, sitting on the bench and causing disruption, or getting him out to a club he's willing to go to, it's probably the right call.

Personally, I think the mistake we've made - if we weren't absolutely confident of signing another forward - was loaning out Logan Chalmers again. If you assume Fletcher will start games up front supported by Middleton and Harkes/McGrath, having Chalmers on the bench would have been a good option.

So, my positives from the window are...

1 - We've kept Behic

2 - We've recalled Kai Fotheringham, who has done a great job at Stirling and would benefit from exposure in the first team

3 - We've given plenty of young players an opportunity to play first team football in the SPFL

4 - We've signed a right footed centre back, though the jury is still out

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I've just finished reading a secondhand copy of the paperback 'Across the Great Divide: a History of Professional Football in Dundee' by Jim Wilkie (updated edition published in 2000). Sadly it proved to be missing pages 89 to 92 inclusive.

If anybody was able to scan or photograph the 4 pages, and either put them in a post here or in a Private Message to me, it'd be much appreciated.

Happy to help. It gave me the chance to flick through it again.

Page 90 was good.

20230201_052418.jpg

Edited by Lancashirearab

28 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Bold move to punt your second choice keeper and only experienced back up striker without replacing either, or strengthening any other position in the squad. It's going to get very messy indeed when Fletcher picks up an injury.

278212490_giphy(1).gif.b72ff63d9b8f5d87c3f45f49395e6b1f.gif

11 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Is this correct that Souttar began his career at Celtic?

Screenshot_20230201_073857_Chrome.jpg

Don't think it's accurate regarding 'career'. If it's boys' clubs attached to senior sides being referred to,  he started at Brechin City. 

His 'career' started at Dundee United, otherwise my career started at the Cubs. 

Lazy journalism? 

3 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Don't think it's accurate regarding 'career'. If it's boys' clubs attached to senior sides being referred to,  he started at Brechin City. 

His 'career' started at Dundee United, otherwise my career started at the Cubs. 

Lazy journalism? 

Cheers. They must have copied and pasted from their Andy Robertson archive.

7 hours ago, SGMilne said:

Ah well, at least we managed to sign a right footed centre back 😅

He might be shite but on the other hand, he might do ok. If he's got the physicality required then that's at least a start. We've seen enough young players from English teams come up here on loan and not succeed to know that it's likely the boy isn't going to be a huge success, but then again he could be a diamond like Curtis Good.

I wanted a centre back, a central midfielder and a striker. So far we've only got the centre back. Whether we get the striker in on a free quickly is the next question. Leave it a while and you end up signing shite like Max Biamou or a player who takes months to get fit like Eddie Ofere. It's really not ideal.

I'm happy enough Watt is gone. Even that interview on Sky at St. Mirren made him sound like a nightmare to manage. That being said, ideally it would have been outwith the league, but then player power is king and if the choice was a player the manager obviously doesn't want, who is likely our highest paid player, sitting on the bench and causing disruption, or getting him out to a club he's willing to go to, it's probably the right call.

Personally, I think the mistake we've made - if we weren't absolutely confident of signing another forward - was loaning out Logan Chalmers again. If you assume Fletcher will start games up front supported by Middleton and Harkes/McGrath, having Chalmers on the bench would have been a good option.

So, my positives from the window are...

1 - We've kept Behic

2 - We've recalled Kai Fotheringham, who has done a great job at Stirling and would benefit from exposure in the first team

3 - We've given plenty of young players an opportunity to play first team football in the SPFL

4 - We've signed a right footed centre back, though the jury is still out

Agree with all of that. 

Were obviously short up top. I think were an improving side though. Fox has done pretty well I think, got us in a much better shape and are definitely showing more going forward than we did under Courts and Mellon. From our start of the season where we were a shambles, miles adrift and had 2 points from 8 games we've picked up 18 from 14 and were unlucky not to win against a good Hearts side and were robbed at Hibs. We also don't have Celtic to play again where all those around us do whilst clutching is a definite plus. .

I thought we needed a striker and right sided centre back. We probably still do but hopefully this young guy is up to doing a job. Time will tell. 

Edited by low-life