The Dundee United Thread 22/23

14 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Probably away to be sold then or he's back cause Watt is away.

Aye I think it’s more likely that you don’t want him getting injured and scuppering a move away. 

Still shite timing as I’d imagine he’ll have been training with us all week and Bullen will have been planning on picking him. 

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye I think it’s more likely that you don’t want him getting injured and scuppering a move away. 

Still shite timing as I’d imagine he’ll have been training with us all week and Bullen will have been planning on picking him. 

Had he been making much of an impact with yourselves? He's been on the fringes of our first team for years now but I've never been overly impressed by him. He seemed to have a good loan spell at ICT in the 2nd half of last season in fairness.

3 minutes ago, captainkev said:

Had he been making much of an impact with yourselves? He's been on the fringes of our first team for years now but I've never been overly impressed by him. He seemed to have a good loan spell at ICT in the 2nd half of last season in fairness.

He’s been superb for us. Was just saying on our own thread that he can drift in and out of games but in the vast majority of them he’s been able to come up with something that’s resulted in a goal. Will be a big loss for us. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s been superb for us. Was just saying on our own thread that he can drift in and out of games but in the vast majority of them he’s been able to come up with something that’s resulted in a goal. Will be a big loss for us. 

He's not in our squad today, so we've not brought him back to play; we must have a buyer lined up then. As you say it's rotten timing on our part.

I was positive last week despite the defeat, but I'm fuming tonight. Dropping points to a late goal always hurts a bit more, but we've blown a perfect chance to get some breathing room in the relegation battle. 

Our away form is atrocious. No team should be getting away with being as awful as Hibs were at the back today. Even in the recent win at McDiarmid we made hard work of it against a St. Johnstone team who looked determined to lose.

3 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Looking at the goals lost today and last week, the defence is inconsistent, and only as good as the weakest link. 

For me, presently that's Liam Smith.

I put it in the match thread against Sevco but yeah again its that c**t with the error. 3 goals in 2 matches that im firmly laying at his door

Good starting lineup, nothing on the bench. And Hibs have a striker who can win points on his own.

I pondered recently based on our form and how few goals we'd conceded whether we actually needed a new ball winning midfielder, but we definitely do, as today showed that when we needed to shore up the game, there was nobody who could come off the bench when even one of our starting XI is out.

The bench at the moment is just awful.

A goalkeeper we don't want.

Two defenders who play the same position in a back three (because when the game is in its dying embers you don't want to move our least mobile defender out of that central position) 

Five lightweight midfielders who can't play that defensive role)

A 16 year old striker.

The final week of this window (the only week when any decent transfers seem to happen in January) can't come soon enough. I would hope we'll be moving on Niskanen (which will be more difficult than you might think considering he won't get a work permit to play in England) and Pawlett permanently and giving 2 of the 3 of Anaku, Meekison and Cudjoe loan moves to get experience.

I think we'll be fine, but this habit of losing last minute goals is not good.

It was crying out for a change in midfield from about 65 minutes, but there was f**k all on the bench aside from McGrath or Pawlett, neither of whom are anywhere near match fit I assume. Fox evidently does not trust Meekison, but again he is not a defensive player.

The damage was effectively done when we were only one goal up at half time as Hibs really were atrocious in the first half.

Thought the first half was really good. Less so the second half and we were absolutely knackered as the game wore on. Surprised it took Fox so long to make even one change, but don't think that ultimately had a bearing on the result. Djoum excellent again, as they all were, particularly in that first half.

Post WC it's hard to believe we're a side on relegation bother 

47 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

We’re getting there. I think. Clearly need some reinforcements though. Thought Sibbald was outstanding today. Djoum’s best game too.

Sibbald was excellent, but he looked fucked after about 60 minutes. Djoum was excellent, and I actually thought Harkes was very good too.

9 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Sibbald was excellent, but he looked fucked after about 60 minutes. Djoum was excellent, and I actually thought Harkes was very good too.

Yeah agree. Sibbald did take a few knocks but aye he seems unable to last the 90 most weeks.

Thought there was a lot of positives today. Looked the better side. Moved the ball well, and created plenty openings. Sheep and Harkes linked up very well I thought and we were pretty unfortunate not to get all 3 points. Thought it was an excellent finish by Nisbett unfortunately. 

Missed a centre mid to bring on , Pawlett coming on and dropping Harkes or Mcgrath back wasn't the answer but there were very few options for Fox today. 

I think were looking a not bad side now, much better on the eye than it has been in recent years.   A definite improvement under Fox and I really am starting to like him. Never really got to this stage with any of the last 3 managers. 

Oh and the keeper is no longer filling me with the fear. 

Levitt back, Mcgrath fit, Watt away,  another striker in a similar mould to fletcher and a right sided centre back and Ill be happy. 

4m getting touted for McLeod. What is this world we are living in.

Chalmers off to Tranmere apparently.

Watt almost 100% away. 

So need 2 strikers in straight away.

Definitely need a ball winning defensive midfielder as others have stated.

A decent enough paced RCB is a must.

All to be recruited in January? With the club thinking we don't need any of that most likely.

I'm not worried 🥲🥲🥲