The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Don't think it will make much difference giving Ashgar the boot now. Only 3 points from Killie and still think we would finish above them. Ross County too. Even if United finished in playoffs think we would win comfortably, like St. Johnstone did last season.

I suspect other teams will be dragged into the relegation battle, Motherwell, even Hibs, maybe even St. Mirren & St. Johnstone. Could be as tight a league as last season.

Not been a great season for sure, but still confident United will stay up.

24 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Don't think it will make much difference giving Ashgar the boot now. Only 3 points from Killie and still think we would finish above them. Ross County too. Even if United finished in playoffs think we would win comfortably, like St. Johnstone did last season.

I suspect other teams will be dragged into the relegation battle, Motherwell, even Hibs, maybe even St. Mirren & St. Johnstone. Could be as tight a league as last season.

You might as well throw in Hearts and Livi while you're at it, maybe Aberdeen as well.  

Edited by hk blues

33 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Tony Asghar found ^^^

I agree with @Yorick to a large extent, and while it appears Tony Asghar has made mistakes this season with the balance of signings, and having two suspect 'keepers on the books, we don't know for certain if the signings are all down to him. The buck stops there, though.

On the two 'keepers, I've seen fans write that the defence has no confidence in either, but could it be the 'keepers have no confidence in the defence? As an example, with Eiji Kawashima once again making the Japanese WC squad this year, you have to wonder if he was really as bad as many fans suggested, given he was playing behind players like Donaldson, Durnan, Demel and Dillon much of the time.

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

Yeah let’s wait until we have another couple of shit seasons whilst spending huge amounts more than we should.  Then we can get rid of him.

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I agree with @Yorick to a large extent, and while it appears Tony Asghar has made mistakes this season with the balance of signings, and having two suspect 'keepers on the books, we don't know for certain if the signings are all down to him. The buck stops there, though.

On the two 'keepers, I've seen fans write that the defence has no confidence in either, but could it be the 'keepers have no confidence in the defence? As an example, with Eiji Kawashima once again making the Japanese WC squad this year, you have to wonder if he was really as bad as many fans suggested, given he was playing behind players like Donaldson, Durnan, Demel and Dillon much of the time.

I said at the time, and a few times since, Eiji was nowhere near as bad as folk made out. The problem was that he made saves that kept the score down, rather than saves that gained us points. Our defence was utter shite.

Neither of the two we have now are anywhere near as good, and I'd argue the defence are better. Put Eiji in this team, we'd be absolutely fine. Put Eriksson or Birighitti in the 2016 team, we'd have been down a lot earlier

43 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I said at the time, and a few times since, Eiji was nowhere near as bad as folk made out. The problem was that he made saves that kept the score down, rather than saves that gained us points. Our defence was utter shite.

Neither of the two we have now are anywhere near as good, and I'd argue the defence are better. Put Eiji in this team, we'd be absolutely fine. Put Eriksson or Birighitti in the 2016 team, we'd have been down a lot earlier

I don't think we'd be safe with the current Eiji or the past Eiji in the squad right now. The boys only made a handful of appearances since he left for France (60 in 6 years, the bulk of which coming in 17/18 and 20/21)

image.thumb.png.40f2a54ebeb2b00bbb1976f1b1d0873a.png

I think this image speaks for itself.

We're stuck with 2 Keepers bereft of confidence and lacking in quality. Neither of which seem to want to command their box from what I've seen. Benji wasn't great at that either but was miles better than these two. 

Unless Tony and the recruiters admit we need better than what they've rustled up then we're fucked.

I miss Dusan, Weaver and The Monk...

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Agreed.  I also think the fact that he flogged a goal in his first game - a Dundee derby no less - after it taking weeks to get his work permit cemented in some people's mind from the get go that he was utter pish. To me he was a big improvement than either Zwick or Szromnik, although I admit that's damning with faint praise.

5 hours ago, scamp1909 said:

I don't think we'd be safe with the current Eiji or the past Eiji in the squad right now. The boys only made a handful of appearances since he left for France (60 in 6 years, the bulk of which coming in 17/18 and 20/21)

Should've saved this one. IMO.

6 hours ago, scamp1909 said:

Where is it from, please? Transfermkt has him losing 1.58 goals per 90 minutes:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/eiji-kawashima/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/77383

Not that I'm sticking up for him against your stats, just wondering where the graphis is from.

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/eiji-kawashima/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/77383

Not that I'm sticking up for him against your stats, just wondering where the graphis is from.

That is his 17/18 stats from FotMob his 20/21 stats don't appear for some reason 🤷‍♂️

Sofascore has him at: 2.1 Goals Conceded P/G for the 17/18 season and 1.3 P/G in 20/21

Sofascore also has him at 3.2 Saves P/G over the two seasons, 3.9 and 2.5 respectively.

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

50 minutes ago, scamp1909 said:

That is his 17/18 stats from FotMob his 20/21 stats don't appear for some reason 🤷‍♂️

Sofascore has him at: 2.1 Goals Conceded P/G for the 17/18 season and 1.3 P/G in 20/21

Sofascore also has him at 3.2 Saves P/G over the two seasons, 3.9 and 2.5 respectively.

(This is all theoretical and statistical bullshit) Also after doing more maths than I'd like to admit, I've worked out that if Birighitti matches Eiji's 24 appearances last season and keeps the same way he has so far that:

Birighitti currently makes 3.7 Saves P/G meaning he would make 88 Saves in 24 appearances - Birighitti also concedes 1.7 GPG meaning he would concede 41 goals in 24 appearances.

Eiji made 2.5 Saves P/G in the 20/21 season meaning he made 60 Saves that season - Eiji conceded 1.3 GPG that season meaning he conceded 31 goals.

Meaning that on paper Birighitti would make 2.1 Saves for every Goal Conceded compared to Eiji's 1.94 Saves per Goal Conceded.

In theory, Birighitti is a better shot-stopper than Eiji but less of a "passer out the backer" (I'll get onto that).

Eiji made 33.5 Touches P/G x 24 = approximately 816 -  Eiji made 16.9 Accurate Passes P/G x 24 = approximately 405.

816/405 = 2.01, meaning Eiji made 2.01 Touches per Accurate Pass compared to Birighitti who, I'll spare you the maths, made 2.79 Touches per Accurate Pass.

It really does depend on how you want your goalkeepers to play but currently at United I think its a shot-stopper and not a playmaker we need in-between the sticks.

Whether it's true or not is a different story but Alan Nixon is fairly reliable as far as I'm aware.

Would make sense for them seeing as they've only got two central midfielders currently and Levitt will almost definitely want away after this shitshow of a season.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwia9ras6Lz7AhUJhlwKHcyrA64QvOMEKAB6BAgJEAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Ffootballleagueworld.co.uk%2Fmillwall-eyeing-deal-for-world-cup-bound-midfielder-from-the-scottish-premiership%2F&usg=AOvVaw3NwkDVhMaWycHEqjSfDFNH&cshid=1668949232358017