The Dundee United Thread 22/23

On 09/11/2022 at 22:44, Alert Mongoose said:

Please can we stop with the shitey goal music

Exactly how much are we paying every year to the owners of the rights to the music of Inspiral Carpets?

Of all the expenses we have, I doubt the goal music is up there considering...

I thought we missed Djoum today (I mentioned this to my boy at half time to which the chap sitting next to us, despite not asking for his opinion, took great exception too - didn't realise I was sitting next to Pep Guardiola). Levitt had his best, and most forward role of the season v Kilmarnock as Djoum's inclusion allows him to. Levitt was often found tonight a few yards in front of the centre halfs where he's no use, and hence his poor night.

Fletcher, who I thought was decent v Kilmarnock had another 'Fletcher' performance. Someone may correct me, but I think he's started 100 percent of the games in which we've not scored.

18 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I thought we missed Djoum today (I mentioned this to my boy at half time to which the chap sitting next to us, despite not asking for his opinion, took great exception too - didn't realise I was sitting next to Pep Guardiola). Levitt had his best, and most forward role of the season v Kilmarnock as Djoum's inclusion allows him to. Levitt was often found tonight a few yards in front of the centre halfs where he's no use, and hence his poor night.

Fletcher, who I thought was decent v Kilmarnock had another 'Fletcher' performance. Someone may correct me, but I think he's started 100 percent of the games in which we've not scored.

The guy’s not had a decent game since he signed for us.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The guy’s not had a decent game since he signed for us.

Decent at Parkhead and v Kilmarnock. Only games I've seen him in the flesh.

We won 4-0 on Wednesday with him in the side and yet were very poor tonight (for 70 minutes) when his omission was the only change to the team 

19 minutes ago, Steven W said:

We won 4-0 on Wednesday with him in the side and yet were very poor tonight (for 70 minutes) when his omission was the only change to the team 

I thought we won comfortably on Wednesday despite Djoum tbh.

8 hours ago, Steven W said:

That’s an incredibly simplistic (and inaccurate) analysis of why we beat Killie and lost to Aberdeen.

I'd said I'd look into some Fletcher related stats a couple of weeks ago and gave it a wee go today. This will all no doubt get pulled apart so if that's what floats your boat, do crack on. My earlier stat on Djoum was described by another poster as too simplistic so I done the same for him.

I reckon (there WILL be inaccuracies in this no doubt) Fletcher has played 1092 minutes for us, with the team yielding 11 goals in that timeframe (a goal every 99 minutes). He's not played in 539 minutes with the team yielding 10 goals when he's been off the pitch (a goal every 54 minutes). Of the seven times we've failed to score in a match he (along with Smith, Edwards and Levitt) has started every single one. Of the eight games he's either been a sub or not figured at all, we've scored in every game (admittedly v Hearts and v St Mirren he got the goals coming off the bench)

Djoum - played 343 minutes with the team yielding eight goals (a goal every 43 minutes). Of the 289 minutes he's not played in we've scored once (a goal every 289 minutes - excellent spot of maths there). He's been on our books for 7 matches and figured in five, and we've scored in all five of those. Of the two he's had no involvement at all in we've scored zero. (Wish I had those stats to hand when that bloke ripped my head off when I casually mentioned to my son that I thought we were missing Djoum.)

I trust someone will reply with a 'That's Numberwang!' gif.....

28 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I'd said I'd look into some Fletcher related stats a couple of weeks ago and gave it a wee go today. This will all no doubt get pulled apart so if that's what floats your boat, do crack on. My earlier stat on Djoum was described by another poster as too simplistic so I done the same for him.

I reckon (there WILL be inaccuracies in this no doubt) Fletcher has played 1092 minutes for us, with the team yielding 11 goals in that timeframe (a goal every 99 minutes). He's not played in 539 minutes with the team yielding 10 goals when he's been off the pitch (a goal every 54 minutes). Of the seven times we've failed to score in a match he (along with Smith, Edwards and Levitt) has started every single one. Of the eight games he's either been a sub or not figured at all, we've scored in every game (admittedly v Hearts and v St Mirren he got the goals coming off the bench)

Djoum - played 343 minutes with the team yielding eight goals (a goal every 43 minutes). Of the 289 minutes he's not played in we've scored once (a goal every 289 minutes - excellent spot of maths there). He's been on our books for 7 matches and figured in five, and we've scored in all five of those. Of the two he's had no involvement at all in we've scored zero. (Wish I had those stats to hand when that bloke ripped my head off when I casually mentioned to my son that I thought we were missing Djoum.)

I trust someone will reply with a 'That's Numberwang!' gif.....

1. So far Djoum has been poor, hopefully he will improve.

2. Things won’t improve at United until Ashgar is away.

3. For anyone interested in stats here’s one about our existing manager relating to his ONLY previous managerial appointment; with a League 2 club.

FB3F7AE3-07E8-41F9-BAEA-BB2FCB1E653F.thumb.jpeg.82f3470b049918e4145b7a1c24c9122a.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

1. So far Djoum has been poor, hopefully he will improve.

2. Things won’t improve at United until Ashgar is away.

3. For anyone interested in stats here’s one about our existing manager relating to his ONLY previous managerial appointment; with a League 2 club.

FB3F7AE3-07E8-41F9-BAEA-BB2FCB1E653F.thumb.jpeg.82f3470b049918e4145b7a1c24c9122a.jpeg

1 - You're (of course) perfectly entitled to your opinion. All I'm suggesting is the team seems more productive with him in it

2 - Giving Ashgar the boot is not the magic wand that so many United fans seem to think it is. 

3 - Quite agree. Certainly don't consider myself 'on-board' with Fox. I highly doubt he'll last the season 

13 minutes ago, Steven W said:

1 - You're (of course) perfectly entitled to your opinion. All I'm suggesting is the team seems more productive with him in it

2 - Giving Ashgar the boot is not the magic wand that so many United fans seem to think it is. 

3 - Quite agree. Certainly don't consider myself 'on-board' with Fox. I highly doubt he'll last the season 

Giving Ashgar the boot is a necessity before we can bring in a competent replacement.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Giving Ashgar the boot is a necessity before we can bring in a competent replacement.

Have you listened to the most recent Dode Fox Podcast with Dave Bowman?

The clubs been transformed. We've been hauled into the modern era of football by Tony himself. He's made us into such a great club in his short time. 

He'll no be going anywhere.

Shame we're cut adrift at the bottom, have two bombscare goalies and spending an absolute fortune in the process.

A quick google suggests these are the players from the club who have been selected for (but not necessarily taken the field at) the World Cup

Dylan Levitt (Wales)
Aziz Behich (Australia)

Dusan Pernis (Slovakia)

Collin Samuel (Trinidad & Tobago)

Maurice Malpas (Scotland)

Richard Gough
MAurice Malpas
Eamonn Bannon
David Narey
Paul Sturrock (all Scotland)

David Narey
Paul Sturrock (both Scotland)

Collin Samuel was the last to feature in a match

9 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

A quick google suggests these are the players from the club who have been selected for (but not necessarily taken the field at) the World Cup

Dylan Levitt (Wales)
Aziz Behich (Australia)

Dusan Pernis (Slovakia)

Richard Gough
MAurice Malpas
Eamonn Bannon
David Narey

David Narey

Collin Samuel was the last to feature in a match

Hasney Aljofree was an unused sub for England at the World Cup.

On 15/11/2022 at 11:10, Mark Connolly said:

Dylan Levitt (Wales)
Aziz Behich (Australia)

Dusan Pernis (Slovakia)

Richard Gough
MAurice Malpas
Eamonn Bannon
David Narey

David Narey

So we're having our most successful spell since 1986?

24 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

So we're having our most successful spell since 1986?

Looking at the Australian teams LB selection, Behich should start 3/3 assuming there's no injury or fitness concerns. 

Levitt might have a harder run in the WC with Ramsey also in the squad.

On paper yes but we'll just have to wait and see...

(I'd also argue that we only really signed Behich for the WC money but)

2 hours ago, Zoomer Brown said:

Mulgrew confirmed as player/ 1st team coach

Put a positive spin on this, there's no ambiguity about the whole situation now. More settled dressing room and more focus on the field now maybe? 

Like the guy does have a wealth of experience, does that translate into coaching? Well not always and if the rumours are true about him doing coaching already then well out league position tells you everything you need to know about how effective he is in that position. 

5 weeks of training for all the non international players, 5 weeks to implement something approaching cohesion and togetherness. Hopefully does the treat and we can get off the foot of the table.