The Dundee United Thread 22/23

21 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

We seem to have stumbled upon a system that works, so I wouldn't make any changes unless we had to.

I was a bit sceptical about the line up yesterday but was pleased with the way it panned out and that the players seemed to understand their roles and executed them well.

That said I’d like a few more positive results before declaring it “a system that works”.

Few random post match comments of mine from yesterday -

Doubt many would disagree that Sibbald's introduction over Harkes worked out really well. However I would add that I don't think we missed Fletcher at all. I thought we looked better when he went off last week and we obviously played well yesterday too. He's useful in the air and wins a fair percentage of his headers, but, for me, contributes little else (maybe the legs have gone a bit?)

McGrath was my man of the match, closely followed by Sibbald and Behich would be up there too. I've been very critical of him since he joined but yesterday was a massive improvement, typified by his powerful run down the flanks that led to McGrath's chance inside the first minute. Perhaps Fox has told him to be more direct??

Although Aberdeen maybe got a grip on the match around the 60minute mark, it was good to see us approach the second half in a positive manner and not look to sit on the two nil lead. I genuinely think, aside from kickoff, Aberdeen didn't get in our half for the first five minutes of the second half.

Notable that yesterday's win was achieved without the fabled DM, but with hard work, desire and energy. Was great to enjoy a match at Tannadice after such a long time 

Finally the players are showing what they’re capable of.

We weren’t great tonight - in fact in the second half we basically didn’t even attempt to play - but back to back wins and clean sheets can’t be sniffed at.

I’d seen NOTHING in Behich previously that belied his decent resume, but he showed - especially tonight - what he’s about.

Levitt is a weird one. When the rest of the team aren’t at it he looks like the worst player on the team, when there’s some energy, he transforms into Pirlo.

The keeper was both brilliant and terrifying 🤷‍♂️

I don't see where Fletcher fits into the side now.

He's brilliant at what he does but what he does doesn't seem to win football matches or suit the players we have.

I'd like to see Djoum but only to back up/rotate with Sibbald. I like the balance we have in there now. Harkes coming on is an immediate downgrade. 

The pace of the last two games v the two before that is night and day.

I think context is everything and if we were in 5th with a decent points haul we don't completely shitfest the last half hour but keeping the momentum going is huge.

All the pressure on County now for Saturday.

Think we rode our luck to some extent last night, but a combination of some excellent goalkeeping and poor finishing saw is through.

Behich was excellent last night. Delighted he's proving me wrong - I had him written off. What a turnaround for him.

Again I don't think we missed Fletcher, and Watt seems to be thriving being played as an actual striker.

I thought Middleton was really poor last night and I'm not convinced by him at all. Several players on the bench are better (but I had written Behich off, so maybe he'll come good). But my biggest gripe of the night was United just simply re-selling the match programme from the fixture's original date and still having the temerity to charge £3.50 for it!

On 21/09/2022 at 09:19, arab_joe said:

I know us Arabs are prone to hyperbole, but these next 3 games are going to define our season. 

We need an absolute minimum of 4 or 5 points (in a normal season we might be aiming for 6 or 7, but this is not a normal season) to get us off the bottom of the table and start looking up at the teams above (especially given our pathetic goal difference) - any less than that and we go into a run of away games knowing that we will be bottom of the table at the end of October... 

6 points from the 3 games, and heading up to the Ross County 6-pointer off the bottom.  A lot better position that I thought we would be in after the St Johnstone debacle!  We need to keep this momentum going.

On 01/10/2022 at 20:57, ArabianKnight said:

Nothing in particular about the screams to me terrible footballers. 

But there's problems. Playing Levitt in that role doesn't suit. Just remove Harkes from his forward position and have someone alongside Levitt to break up the opposition play. 

Looking back, this was absolutely spot-on. 

With a little bit of defensive cover, the midfield (perhaps with the exception of Middleton) have been far more effective going forward - and that stability has also allowed the full-backs far more freedom to attack.

I'm still perplexed as to how anyone could leave out Sibbald after the way he played in the first 3 or 4 games of the season (where he was largely the only positive), but maybe there was an underlying injury or fitness issue that the club wanted to keep quiet.  If it was on form, then no wonder the players couldn't understand Ross' gameplan.

On 05/10/2022 at 22:20, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

We'll be fine once the two Aussies internationalists kick on.

One down, one to go.  Behich is on fire.

48 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I thought Middleton was really poor last night and I'm not convinced by him at all. 

Hard to disagree with this - with the exception of his goal at home to Alkmaar, I don't think that he has offered anywhere near enough.

Edited by arab_joe
Typo

Middleton for us was someone who'd do nothing for 3/4/5 games and then he'd randomly pop up with a moment that wins you a match.

I was never sure if it was worth it but i think it is for clubs near the bottom.

I actually thought Middleton was OK last night.  He had to get through a power of work helping out down Hibs' right hand side as Boyle/Cadden is a pretty decent attacking combination.  Should really have scored with one of his two chances though still convinced he was wiped out at the second one. 

12 hours ago, Twinkle said:

6 points from 6 should ensure there isnt an infestation of Didees for a wee while at least

I'd have been along sooner to congratulate you on your fine run but I was afraid of being racially abused.