The Dundee United Thread 22/23

4 hours ago, arab_joe said:

It hasn't been mentioned on this thread, I note, but the booing/singing of the Arabs at Ibrox on Saturday was truly embarrassing.  There is a time and a place to voice reasonable concerns that you might have about the Queen, the monarchy or anything else that you don't believe in - that was neither.  

In your opinion. Thankfully your opinion is in the minority

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

It hasn't been mentioned on this thread, I note, but the booing/singing of the Arabs at Ibrox on Saturday was truly embarrassing.  There is a time and a place to voice reasonable concerns that you might have about the Queen, the monarchy or anything else that you don't believe in - that was neither.  

There's about 15 pages of it on the match thread, if you're desperate to have your say. There are some who agree with you and most who do not. 

Fwiw, I don't think there's anything embarrassing about protesting the forced expression of grief and deference to an institution which has long since passed from being irrelevant to downright offensive. I'd say you're entitled to your opinion but the amount of that opinion being force-fed to the country these last couple of weeks is stretching it a bit. 

20 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Where and when would be the right time to object to something that's imposed on us? Some point after the fact without a large potential audience at hand so any protest can be comfortably ignored? Should we do it out on the streets? Certainly helps the police for swooping in and arresting anyone they feel like.

The nation united in mourning narrative has been rammed down our throats non-stop since she kicked the bucket. Imo, using a high profile event to register your opposition to it is absolutely fair game; although tbf, as @Dundee Hibernian said, I expect plenty of those singing at Ibrox on Saturday were only focused on just provoking the Sevconians.

Edited by captainkev

6 hours ago, arab_joe said:

The club sending out an offer of a glass of jizz and a disabled DJ is embarrassing. Pissing off the *** was glorious.

8 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Arrange the following two words into a well known phrase or saying: off and fúck.

22 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

In the same way that you or I didn't contribute to the 9-0 drubbing by Celtic, just because you support a club doesn't mean everything that happens is attributable to every supporter of that club.

You're may be right, perhaps I shouldn't feel embarrassed by what fellow Arabs do - but I guess it is in the same way that I feel a sense of pride in the fact that "we" were awarded the UEFA Fair Play Award in 1987 (when I was still in nappies).  It is just part of the football fan experience, I guess, feeling an affinity with fellow fans and what they do (or it is to me, at least). 

Colleagues at work rarely discuss Dundee United (the SPFL isn't big news in the Middle East) but a good few have mentioned their disgust at the timing of the singing.  That is embarrassing to me (but from the replies I have received, clearly not embarrassing to others). 

20 hours ago, Twinkle said:

In your opinion. Thankfully your opinion is in the minority

Of course it is my opinion, like the rest of the rubbish I type on here.  Not really sure that needed clarification.

19 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Fwiw, I don't think there's anything embarrassing about protesting the forced expression of grief and deference to an institution which has long since passed from being irrelevant to downright offensive.

If United fans were collectively objecting to the forced mourning (which I agree has been incredibly weird - but not something I think warrants a protest), then they could have turned their back, held their scarf up to show that they're only observing the silence as a mark of respect for the club etc. etc. but, in my opinion, singing "Lizzy's in a box" during a minute's appreciation for the Queen being observed by 50,000 others (whether they were Rangers fans or not is immaterial in my eyes), is a fairly poor and classless choice.

18 hours ago, captainkev said:

Where and when would be the right time to object to something that's imposed on us? Some point after the fact without a large potential audience at hand so any protest can be comfortably ignored? 

The nation united in mourning narrative has been rammed down our throats non-stop since she kicked the bucket.

That's a good question, and not one I have a satisfactory answer to.

Again, if United fans were collectively objecting to the forced mourning, singing "Lizzy's in a box" was a fairly poor choice.

16 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Arrange the following two words into a well known phrase or saying: off and fúck.

Thank you for your input, as witty as ever...

9 hours ago, Zoomer Brown said:

is that you cancelled?

Homophobic 'humour' no surprise coming from you.

4 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

You're may be right, perhaps I shouldn't feel embarrassed by what fellow Arabs do - but I guess it is in the same way that I feel a sense of pride in the fact that "we" were awarded the UEFA Fair Play Award in 1987 (when I was still in nappies).  It is just part of the football fan experience, I guess, feeling an affinity with fellow fans and what they do (or it is to me, at least). 

Colleagues at work rarely discuss Dundee United (the SPFL isn't big news in the Middle East) but a good few have mentioned their disgust at the timing of the singing.  That is embarrassing to me (but from the replies I have received, clearly not embarrassing to others). 

Of course it is my opinion, like the rest of the rubbish I type on here.  Not really sure that needed clarification.

If United fans were collectively objecting to the forced mourning (which I agree has been incredibly weird - but not something I think warrants a protest), then they could have turned their back, held their scarf up to show that they're only observing the silence as a mark of respect for the club etc. etc. but, in my opinion, singing "Lizzy's in a box" during a minute's appreciation for the Queen being observed by 50,000 others (whether they were Rangers fans or not is immaterial in my eyes), is a fairly poor and classless choice.

That's a good question, and not one I have a satisfactory answer to.

Again, if United fans were collectively objecting to the forced mourning, singing "Lizzy's in a box" was a fairly poor choice.

Thank you for your input, as witty as ever...

Well said, you have more class than 90% of these DAB's.

Thank you.

6 hours ago, arab_joe said:

One of my main bedrocks in life is that you shouldn't worry about what folk in Abu Dhabi do.

7 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Colleagues in an authoritarian state with a monarchy and no freedom of speech didn't like people openly mocking a monarchy? I am shocked, shocked I tell ye.

Colleagues in an authoritarian state with a monarchy and no freedom of speech didn't like people openly mocking a monarchy? I am shocked, shocked I tell ye.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. It's not a huge shock that people who live in countries where even mild criticism of the monarchy can get you jailed forever are shocked by criticism of the monarchy in this country, in whatever form that takes