The Dundee United Thread 22/23

14 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I’m honestly only wanting Big Dunc because it would be entertaining.

But… during the Liverpool derby today the commentators mentioned that Carlo Ancelotti wanted to take him to Real Madrid. That’s not nothing.

Assistant to Ancelotti and Benitez. I’m sure he’s picked up some knowledge.

Assistant to a great manager is one of these things that sounds good in theory but just wait until you play a Welsh side in Europe. 

1 hour ago, Charles Stiles said:

Assistant to a great manager is one of these things that sounds good in theory but just wait until you play a Welsh side in Europe. 

That would require us to qualify for Europe, which is a far better outcome than most are currently anticipating. Better yet, we might just narrowly miss out on Europe and avoid both relegation and ritual slaughter.

I don’t think it will matter who we bring in as manager if we don’t add some aggression to that midfield.  Absolutely powder puff and we are on the verge of turn our Welsh international star asset midfielder into a Colchester Utd free transfer target by asking him to play the sitting role. A lot of hate towards Asghar just now when a couple of weeks ago he was being praised for the quality of signings we made and bringing Jack Ross to the club and while I believe he is the man who has the biggest say in transfers (despite claims the manager has the final say), Ross did state he didn’t want a defensive midfielder and indeed when things went wrong for him at Hibs it was the same thing there (Doyle-Hayes and Newell in midfield).  In no way am I trying to stick up for Asghar but I think a lot more blame should be put on the players who have clearly underperformed and some who look like they simply can’t be arsed (T Watt). 

Hopefully whoever gets the gig will be allowed to see if there is any free agents out there who would help bring a bit of dig and a better balance to our midfield. 

We’ve just signed a forward from Uganda and released Nicky Clark with no manager in place.

I think that’s a pretty clear indication of who has the key say on transfers.

Had Jack Ross always had his eye on two Australians none of us had ever heard of, or was that more likely someone else at the club who had been tracking them?

I’ve no idea if JR really didn’t want a DM or if he was just playing the game when told there were no funds left.

But yes, a blind man can see we need some more solidity in the middle of the park.

Edited by ArabFC

I would love to see Big Dunc in Scottish football again, and as long as it’s not at the expense of St Mirren, I would like to see him do well. He seems like the sort of character that could instantly unite the fans, and we’ve seen from his couple of stints as Everton caretaker that he has absolutely bundles of passion and a serious will to win. Players will respect him and I expect he will have sky high standards of what he expects from his players in training, maintaining fitness, effort on a match day etc. He served his apprenticeship coaching the Everton youth teams and being their assistant manager, it’s time for him to take a managerial role for himself and see where it takes him. Dundee United would be as good a job as any to start with 

40 minutes ago, Big Shedboy said:

All quiet on the new manager front...

They're either following due process or clueless as to what to do next!

It'll be Fox.

Young, first big manager job, cheap and easy option. Probably be the head coach and not manager.

Then the statement klaxon / Asghar bullshit bingo - "Stability, already has a relationship with players, excellent coach, outstanding candidates interviewed" yada yada yada.

22 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Just realising that the likely cancellation of Saturday's Tannadice match could mean a grand orgy of mourning and Britishness the following week at Ibrox.

Isn't that a fine prospect?

That’ll be cancelled too. No way the Currents will play the weekend of the funeral. If the whole calendar isn’t off anyway.