The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Jack Ross has never been as good a manger as he clearly thinks he is, and I'm not that surprised he's been found out at Hibs and now Utd, but he's not the only reason Utd are propping up the table. It seemed from the outside that he had less of a say in transfers that you'd expect, and player performances in the games I've seen have been rotten, in a way that you couldn't blame purely on tactics or team shape. Against St Mirren and Celtic, they clearly gave up after the second goals went in and were barely walking to close down Celtic towards the end of that debacle. The manager has to motivate of course, but a bare minimum of professionalism should be expected from players at this level.

For Ogren to come out and basically say "the players and executive team are fine, it was all Jack Ross' fault" is laughable. JR is a convenient scapegoat (it's funny too) but I'd be concerned if I was a Utd fan.

51 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Is this not what the problem is meant to be? Mulgrew was to all intents and purposes managing the team when Tam was ‘in charge’? Also he previously decided when and if he trained, managing his own involvement. Ross refused so accept that saying he was ‘just another player’. That prompted the players meeting where Mulgrew and Watt told the rest of the team that, in their vast experience of these matters, JR was ‘fucking clueless’. Also I’m told Ross actually resigned, FT refused to accept it, Ross said it’s me or Watt and Mulgrew, FT got the abacus out and it had to be Ross. Declan Glass getting recalled too I hear.

You really are the dimmest Dee on here. Everybody in Dundee has had that whatsapp. 

"I hear" 😂

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Again it doesn’t say he’s been sacked so maybe that’s the reason, it simply says he’s been relieved of his duties as head coach.

This is pure speculation but maybe they’ve offered him a settlement that he’s refused and so they’re keeping him on the payroll so he can’t earn elsewhere.

How old are you Granny ... when youre told " You are relieved of your duties"...it means... YOURE SACKED!!!

Just to set the record straight. Duncan Ferguson will not touch any team in Scotland with barge pole.

He felt that he was let down big time by the SFA & PFA when he was jailed and turn his back on Scottish football and will never return.

Edited by SlipperyP

If those Mulgrew rumours are true, I actually think that's spectacular mismanagement from Jack Ross.

You have a player who was one of our better ones last season and is clearly a strong character and a figure of massive influence in the locker room. What is to be gained from coming in and immediately getting on the wrong side of him? Why not work with him?

Maybe over time try to reduce that influence and get him round to your way of thinking, but a bull-in-a-china-shop approach was only ever going to go one way.

26 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

If those Mulgrew rumours are true, I actually think that's spectacular mismanagement from Jack Ross.

You have a player who was one of our better ones last season and is clearly a strong character and a figure of massive influence in the locker room. What is to be gained from coming in and immediately getting on the wrong side of him? Why not work with him?

Maybe over time try to reduce that influence and get him round to your way of thinking, but a bull-in-a-china-shop approach was only ever going to go one way.

^^^Mark Ogren

P.S. So Mulgrew should be part of the interview panel for the next appointment?  

47 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

I don't think that rumour from the large itk post about Jack Ross' resignation being refused has any ring of truth to it in the least. It makes no sense.

In this day and age, players will be happy with the manager when they are being selected and things are going well: the away game in the Netherlands gave players the opportunity to turn the blame onto the manager to deflect from their own inadequacies. 

It's never the fault of the playing staff.

On Duncan Ferguson never returning to Scotland - 

It was 18 years ago. He was jailed because it was the his fourth(?) conviction for assault, can he complain? not rly. Does he dwell on it? probably not. 

He has Ancelotti's digits.

Im in.

4 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

And again, no "thanks and good luck". Is everyone at Tannadice on the blob this week?

Edit: For the hard of thinking, here's the text of that article:

Dundee United can confirm the departure of Nicky Clark to St Johnstone.

The 31-year-old will join the Perth side after United agreed an undisclosed fee to buy the striker in the final year of his contract.

Nicky scored 43 goals in 146 appearances for the club and was part of the Championship-winning side of 2020.

He also netted ten times last season - including a double in the 2-1 final day win over Ross County to help United secure fourth place and European football.

Nicky made four substitute appearances this term and has taken the opportunity to move on in the final months of his current deal.

Nae thanks and nae good luck. Wind your necks in. If the negative reaction is for the awful, misogynistic "blob" reference then, fair enough, I am clearly a man out of time, but also "how can I hate women when my mum is one" and "as the father to a daughter ..", etc. 

Edited by Pull My Strings

18 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

A grain of truth I reckon. Arms and legs though.

Watt has a reputation as being difficult to manage - so he's a stick on for getting included in some made-up lost the dressing room chat. I'd be surprised if he had that much influence having only been at Tannadice since January...