The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Also the statement doesn’t mention mutual consent. Have they paid off his full contract? Ooft, expensive. Where’s the money coming from?

The same place as all the rest of the money they have spent.  

2 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

This is something I never get. In what other job would you be sacked for being bad at your job and get a pay off. Football contracts are mental. 

Happens all the time in real life - notice period has to be paid unless it's gross misconduct. I doubt they're paying Ross any more than his contract.

14 minutes ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

That's a belter of a statement

I wonder why it doesn’t have the standard “we would like to thank Jack and his staff for the hard work they’ve put in for the club and wish them well in the future.”

On 15/06/2022 at 15:26, Les Cabbage said:

Good luck with Mr Ross.

Shite football and losing big games regularly will definitely be on your radar.

In terms of positives, he seemed to be really quite well liked by the players and still seems to be, obviously we did manage 3rd but it was the most miserable season in history of a team to finish 3rd, boring football, not in stadiums and losing 3 times at Hampden, obviously one of those wasn’t Ross’ fault, as much as I’d like to blame him for the pandemic.

Mid table but bored to tears inbound for you I reckon.

I was torn to bits for this but my prediction was actually too positive 😂

11 minutes ago, Lex said:

Also the statement doesn’t mention mutual consent. Have they paid off his full contract? Ooft, expensive. Where’s the money coming from?

Would they pay it off or just continue to pay him his salary as normal. It sounds from 'relieved of his duties' that he's still employed just asked not to manage the team. 

2 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Would they pay it off or just continue to pay him his salary as normal. It sounds from 'relieved of his duties' that he's still employed just asked not to manage the team. 

I'm guessing they will say you can get your full contract paid over the original period or take 75% as a one off.

Everyone will have an opinion on this, and I reckon that's a reflection on how Ross' career has developed. Some coaches go about their business in a fairly low-key manner, but JR has always had a high profile persona, and seems to have courted that.

As a result, a certain mythology has grown around him, and folk have been monitoring his progress closely, many harbouring a hope that he'll fall on his arse. 

My view is that his previous (relative) success relied heavily on his coaching and backroom colleagues.  He is a figurehead type. Articulate and polished. More style than substance.

He'll be a Sky pundit within a month.  

15 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

This is something I never get. In what other job would you be sacked for being bad at your job and get a pay off. Football contracts are mental. 

If it had been an "ordinary" job he'd be given time to improve, offered retraining, support from a mentor etc. In football that tends not to happen. The terms of his contract have been broken by early termination, like any other manager he is due payment for that.

1 minute ago, Drooper said:

Everyone will have an opinion on this, and I reckon that's a reflection on how Ross' career has developed. Some coaches go about their business in a fairly low-key manner, but JR has always had a high profile persona, and seems to have courted that.

As a result, a certain mythology has grown around him, and folk have been monitoring his progress closely, many harbouring a hope that he'll fall on his arse. 

My view is that his previous (relative) success relied heavily on his coaching and backroom colleagues.  He is a figurehead type. Articulate and polished. More style than substance.

He'll be a Sky pundit within a month.  

I think this is a really good observation. His stock hit its height at St Mirren and has come crashing down since. 

I can't see where his next job is because his reputation has been damaged so much but his ego will still be fighting him to drop down the leagues. So, aye, pundit.

3 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Ross said after the win over AZ Alkmaar

"“Maybe I should call it quits now — I know from experience, this job doesn’t always continue to go well,” laughed Ross. 

Who knew at the time this would be one of the truest statements said during this season.

Well and truly jinxed it.