The Dundee United Thread 22/23

4 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

The DM chat is completely valid but I’m more concerned that both our goalkeepers appear to be absolutely shite. Heavy Zwick/Szromnik vibes.

I thought Eriksson did okay today, tbf. The goals were either well-taken or (mostly) tap-ins against unmarked runners.

He is probably shite though, just not blaming him for the goals today. Don't know about Birighitti. Obviously the A League's not great but you would expect the 'goalkeeper of the year' for two years running to be at least ha;lf decent.

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

I thought Eriksson did okay today, tbf. The goals were either well-taken or (mostly) tap-ins against unmarked runners.

He is probably shite though, just not blaming him for the goals today. Don't know about Birighitti. Obviously the A League's not great but you would expect the 'goalkeeper of the year' for two years running to be at least ha;lf decent.

No one did ok

3 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Bang average overpaid foreign dross with no sell on value is springing to mind

25 minutes ago, East Coast Warrior said:

Quite surprising to have no red cards (and only 1 yellow) from two mega-thumpings.

You half expect to see a player wiped out when they start the pisstaking silky stuff.
Or when nothing is going right and frustrations boil over a bit,  a wee kick out/or push and handbags.

Helpful reactions? Not in the specific game, but they are the reactions I would expect to see from players with a bit of heart or professional pride.

Really just drives home how passive and timid the players have been in their acceptance of it.

No one even put in a tackle. Ross deserves all the pelters coming his way but the players need to have a look at themselves too. Absolute shite bags. F St Mirren were getting horsed I'd expect to see several players getting stuck in. You could name at least 2 or 3 players in every team in the league that would've wanted to put a tackle in. Dundee Utd's players completely chucked it today.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Thing is Eriksson was the goalkeeper of the year in the Allsvenskan helping his team to 9th place out of 16th in the league, a team that shouldn't have been anywhere near that position with stats better than Benji,  is also current Finnish no. 2 with 1 cap. He's not shite, but many fans have written him off due to not replacing Benji towards the end of last season. The keepers are afforded absolutely no protection by those in front.

The comment about Szromnik/Zwick vibes is interesting. We've brought back Craig Hinchcliffe as GK coach. He's the same coach that turned Rado nervous and turn the Polish under 21 international and top Polish goal keeping prospect Szromnik into a goal keeping imposter. How much is that having an effect?

Edited by Tannadeechee

37 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

He got Alloa relegated. When he arrived in December they were 3 points adrift and they finished the season 10 points adrift. He won 2 in 21 games that season. Would have been a tough task to keep them up but still pretty awful. He then started the next season well with a great run of wins and got the St Mirren job. At best you could say he had mixed fortunes at Alloa, one very bad half season and one very good quarter season.

As you say initially he made no difference to St Mirren until he signed half a new team in January and things then clicked, he did well to keep them up and obviously the next season was great. Since then he's done nothing of note. A 1 season wonder (1 and a half if we're being generous) seems pretty accurate to me.

I can't ever remember a manager who seemed to be held (until the last few weeks at least) in such high regard by your average Scottish football fan despite having achieved so little in his career. Every job that came up in the last 2 years had fans frantically hoping for Jack Ross, really bizarre stuff. People are starting to see that he's a bit of a myth.

The team Ross inherited from Alex Rae were poor but in the 3 months till the January transfer window they were much, much worse. Ross was given substantially more money than our immediate rivals (Ayr, Dumbarton & Raith) to revamp the squad that window which tbf  he did - incredibly well - but I don't see him getting the same time or money, relatively speaking, as he did with us again.

16 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Butter fingers on his phone too 

293DD500-013B-4857-B5C8-021A5F942C7A.jpeg

Ross out. Roaster. Revealed the only person who had a clue what was up was Tam, he scrambled to Budapest.

Feel sorry for the two goalkeepers, that kind of mark can just end top flight careers.

Now we have to pay Ross to do one, hire a new coach and still find a new GK that is not recently traumatized.

Or could have not done none that and just paid Zander Clark.

Edited by DUFC_

58 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I agree to an extent. He's pretty well spoken and seems like an intelligent guy so I imagine he's good in an interview as his CV isn't a litany of successes.

That said, whilst Hibs fans will disagree and bemoan losing big games, how long will it be before a manager finishes 3rd in the league with Hibs and gets them into 2 cup finals?

With Sunderland he wasn't great but if you compare him to everyone of his successors until Alec Neil, then he didn't do a terrible job.

His next job now will be at a Falkirk or Dunfermline, if he's lucky.

What will that be? Groundsman? No danger he would ever get the Falkirk job. 

No one even put in a tackle. Ross deserves all the pelters coming his way but the players need to have a look at themselves too. Absolute shite bags. F St Mirren were getting horsed I'd expect to see several players getting stuck in. You could name at least 2 or 3 players in every team in the league that would've wanted to put a tackle in. Dundee Utd's players completely chucked it today.

If Gowser was playing today I doubt Celtic would have ended the game with 11 players - alive.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

peaky-blinders-alfie-solomons.gif.27da99a621bd5e0fe4f66f63d03700ac.gif

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I agree to an extent. He's pretty well spoken and seems like an intelligent guy so I imagine he's good in an interview as his CV isn't a litany of successes.

That said, whilst Hibs fans will disagree and bemoan losing big games, how long will it be before a manager finishes 3rd in the league with Hibs and gets them into 2 cup finals?

With Sunderland he wasn't great but if you compare him to everyone of his successors until Alec Neil, then he didn't do a terrible job.

His next job now will be at a Falkirk or Dunfermline, if he's lucky.

Probably this season...

:whistle

6 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

peaky-blinders-alfie-solomons.gif.27da99a621bd5e0fe4f66f63d03700ac.gif

I'd  be fucking delighted if that result was down to the keeper being shite. That's a much easier one to fix. You could have had any goalkeeper in the world between the sticks today and it would have made very little difference.