The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, Tannadeechee said:

Goodness knows if it is or not, but that is the rumour. Mulgrew,Watt and Clark laughing about at halftime warm up hasn't gone down well with some of the support.

There is something very rotten at the heart.of the playing side of the club at the moment. Never seen so many allegedly professional players, look like they have given up, chucked it and can't be arsed as you see in the park at the moment. No mattter who yout boss is and whether you like him or not professional pride comes into it and you still do your best. Not really finding anyone who fits that bill to be honest. That is not absolving Ross of his mistakes.

I've seen nothing from these players previously to suggest that they are bad eggs (Watt aside, maybe). No doubt the relationship is fucked but if everyone has fallen out with the boss, or his methods at least, then it may simply be that the boss is wrong. Against Celtic you need to be organised and well drilled. With the best will in the world the players can't do that on their own. These things are down to preparation during the week. 

The team that started today had nine players from last season. Last season's team were incredibly well drilled defensively. This team look like they've  barely met each other before. 

Part of that may be because they don't like or trust the manager but if they aren't being properly prepared then what chance do they have? And, if Ross is properly preparing them but they still don't trust him then just how obnoxious must be be. If they hate him, why do they hate him?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter who's at fault. One of the parties in this mess needs to be replaced and you can't change the entire squad.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

The only other explanation is hes been informed that hes getting no more dosh and the party line from Fat Tony is that "we're happy with the squad, Jack".

Either explanation is pretty worrying imo.

He's signed loads of guys. If he wanted a defensive midfielder then he's had ample opportunity to get one in. The only explanation is that he doesn't/didn't want one. He's signed four central midfielders and only one shows any inclination to sit and protect the defence. That guy's barely had a snif in recent weeks. Seems quite clear that Ross doesn't see this position/ role as a necessary component of his team.

2 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I've seen nothing from these players previously to suggest that they are bad eggs (Watt aside, maybe). No doubt the relationship is fucked but if everyone has fallen out with the boss, or his methods at least, then it may simply be that the boss is wrong. Against Celtic you need to be organised and well drilled. With the best will in the world the players can't do that on their own. These things are down to preparation during the week. 

The team that started today had nine players from last season. Last season's team were incredibly well drilled defensively. This team look like they've  barely met each other before. 

Part of that may be because they don't like or trust the manager but if they aren't being properly prepared then what chance do they have? And, if Ross is properly preparing them but they still don't trust him then just how obnoxious must be be. If they hate him, why do they hate him?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter who's at fault. One of the parties in this mess needs to be replaced and you can't change the entire squad.

Always the case the manager pays the price. I agree with you to a  ertain extent about preparation, but players can still try, mark up(they have eyes in their head FFS), track, look like they give a f**k in general.

Some of the defending was amateur at best. Goal 5 has Edwards wandering about half-hearted.doing the square root of feck all. Other goals (lost count as to exactly which ones they were to be fair) McMann ambles back with a player running in to tap the ball in, plus the other almost carbon copy goals. 2nd goal stems from McMann (I think it was) doing exactly the same thing as led to a goal by Livi, trying to play the ball centrally under pressure. If he had just punted it clear or put it out to regroup. These things are on the players. One of the only players that visibly looked pissed off was Liam Smith, others may well have been internally but too many just seemed to go "Oh well, these things happen" and continued onwards in the same vain.

Training, preparation for the game, tactics and line up, changes through the game, that's on the manager and he is culpable. Strength on the ball,passing ability, onfield decisions, lack of tracking, lack of tackles, just lack of using any common feccking sense on the field of play and on field.commitment to the cause amd professional pride thats squarley on the players.

Pre season wasn't great, Killie was nearly 3pts ( if we had what might have been), AZ at home was great, since then its been disastrous. Something has happened and the players (well some of them) have downed tools.

Since beating AZ, we’ve lost 5 in a row by an aggregate of 24-1. 
The team is clearly missing a defensive midfielder, but we’re not going to sign one.
But aye, let’s give him a few more games and see if he can turn it round.
I seriously think your missing more than a defensive midfielder ffs

Just now, Baldie1980 said:
2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:
The team is clearly missing a defensive midfielder, but we’re not going to sign one.

I think he meant to say a defence and midfield. 

7 minutes ago, Baldie1980 said:

That defence and midfield finished fourth last season and of the two new players who started (Fletcher and Middleton), one was about the only guy who got pass marks. This team will be absolutely fine with a decent manager.

Edit:  Or rather this squad should be fine with a decent manager. Once the spiral starts who knows where it ends.

Edited by Pull My Strings

5 minutes ago, Baldie1980 said:

4 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I think he meant to say a defence and midfield. 

It was more related to the fact that our current manager announced the other day that we don't need a defensive midfielder when it has clearly been a major part of our failures.

Obviously, we are fucking shite in other areas too.

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Don’t think he’s a one season wonder. He did well at both Alloa and Saints but he had a dodgy start with us, and really only turned after January window. 

Initially he did OK at Hibs and Sunderland too. 

He got Alloa relegated. When he arrived in December they were 3 points adrift and they finished the season 10 points adrift. He won 2 in 21 games that season. Would have been a tough task to keep them up but still pretty awful. He then started the next season well with a great run of wins and got the St Mirren job. At best you could say he had mixed fortunes at Alloa, one very bad half season and one very good quarter season.

As you say initially he made no difference to St Mirren until he signed half a new team in January and things then clicked, he did well to keep them up and obviously the next season was great. Since then he's done nothing of note. A 1 season wonder (1 and a half if we're being generous) seems pretty accurate to me.

I can't ever remember a manager who seemed to be held (until the last few weeks at least) in such high regard by your average Scottish football fan despite having achieved so little in his career. Every job that came up in the last 2 years had fans frantically hoping for Jack Ross, really bizarre stuff. People are starting to see that he's a bit of a myth.

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

He got Alloa relegated. When he arrived in December they were 3 points adrift and they finished the season 10 points adrift. He won 2 in 21 games that season. Would have been a tough task to keep them up but still pretty awful. He then started the next season well with a great run of wins and got the St Mirren job. At best you could say he had mixed fortunes at Alloa, one very bad half season and one very good quarter season.

As you say initially he made no difference to St Mirren until he signed half a new team in January and things then clicked, he did well to keep them up and obviously the next season was great. Since then he's done nothing of note. A 1 season wonder (1 and a half if we're being generous) seems pretty accurate to me.

I can't ever remember a manager who seemed to be held (until the last few weeks at least) in such high regard by your average Scottish football fan despite having achieved so little in his career. Every job that came up in the last 2 years had fans frantically hoping for Jack Ross, really bizarre stuff. People are starting to see that he's a bit of a myth.

I agree to an extent. He's pretty well spoken and seems like an intelligent guy so I imagine he's good in an interview as his CV isn't a litany of successes.

That said, whilst Hibs fans will disagree and bemoan losing big games, how long will it be before a manager finishes 3rd in the league with Hibs and gets them into 2 cup finals?

With Sunderland he wasn't great but if you compare him to everyone of his successors until Alec Neil, then he didn't do a terrible job.

His next job now will be at a Falkirk or Dunfermline, if he's lucky.

Quite surprising to have no red cards (and only 1 yellow) from two mega-thumpings.

You half expect to see a player wiped out when they start the pisstaking silky stuff.
Or when nothing is going right and frustrations boil over a bit,  a wee kick out/or push and handbags.

Helpful reactions? Not in the specific game, but they are the reactions I would expect to see from players with a bit of heart or professional pride.

Really just drives home how passive and timid the players have been in their acceptance of it.

7 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

The DM chat is completely valid but I’m more concerned that both our goalkeepers appear to be absolutely shite. Heavy Zwick/Szromnik vibes.

The defence don’t trust the keeper/s to do their job and vice a versa.  Massive issue, to be added to the list of all the other issues we have at the mo. 

34 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

He’s a terrible manager and Dundee utd deserve better, the players don’t like him and I no this when he was at st Mirren and Hibs, his attitude is terrible he thinks he’s the best manager since sliced bread,he has no man management skills at all and from a personal point of view he’s getting what he deserves from what he done too disregard young players who needed an arm round there shoulder.