The Dundee United Thread 22/23

956ccbadbee9e4c8fbaed9e341852c43.jpg

And a roasting from Celtic to come. Cheers Fundee United, you never fail to amuse.

Got to admire the brass neck here. Most would keep their head down after a pumping by Ayr United on national TV, but not Dundee fans.
Shameless [emoji1316]

Jack Ross in the paper last night basically saying we don't need a defensive midfielder as long as the rest of the team ups its game when we lose the ball. And that good defensive midfielders that can pass, tackle and be creative play at top level.

But if we don't have players capable of tackling in midfield at all, which is the case (maybe except Sibbald who can't get a game at the moment), then no matter how well the team reacts to losing the ball we're not going to get the ball back very easily.

Sounds to me a bit like he's either not getting more dosh or he genuinely believes that we don't need a "destroyer" which is terrifying considering our midfield tends to include Harkes, Levitt and McGrath who are not known for their defensive abilities.

I have just read that article and I would be worried if I was a United fan. Jack seems to think his talented midfielders can keep possession and pass teams off the pitch. It doesn’t work like that unless you have the best players in the world. Possession stats mean nothing. In fact, as St Mirren are showing, sometimes the more your opponents have the ball, the better. Good transitions, or breakaways, lead to goals, even if you only have 25% to 35% possession. Teams will let United keep possession as they don’t do much with the ball.

8 minutes ago, Kempes said:

I have just read that article and I would be worried if I was a United fan. Jack seems to think his talented midfielders can keep possession and pass teams off the pitch. It doesn’t work like that unless you have the best players in the world. Possession stats mean nothing. In fact, as St Mirren are showing, sometimes the more your opponents have the ball, the better. Good transitions, or breakaways, lead to goals, even if you only have 25% to 35% possession. Teams will let United keep possession as they don’t do much with the ball.

Suggesting that top teams, who you'd expect are managed by better tacticians, play defensive midfielders but teams at lower levels dont need defensive midfielders if the rest of the team try harder seems jarring to me.

4 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Suggesting that top teams, who you'd expect are managed by better tacticians, play defensive midfielders but teams at lower levels dont need defensive midfielders if the rest of the team try harder seems jarring to me.

Exactly.

Busquets was a baller, but his first job in that Barca team was to break up the opposition play, and get it to Xavi or Iniesta

4 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Jack Ross in the paper last night basically saying we don't need a defensive midfielder as long as the rest of the team ups its game when we lose the ball. And that good defensive midfielders that can pass, tackle and be creative play at top level.

But if we don't have players capable of tackling in midfield at all, which is the case (maybe except Sibbald who can't get a game at the moment), then no matter how well the team reacts to losing the ball we're not going to get the ball back very easily.

Sounds to me a bit like he's either not getting more dosh or he genuinely believes that we don't need a "destroyer" which is terrifying considering our midfield tends to include Harkes, Levitt and McGrath who are not known for their defensive abilities.

While you're correct to say McGrath wasn't known for his defensive abilities, his workrate always did stand out for us. He was a phenomenally hard working player and always tracked back diligently. He wasn't always picked as a number 10 but his effort was always beyond reproach.

It was odd seeing him being so anonymous last weekend.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

We need a good defensive midfielder in the Fuchs/Butcher mould.  If Ross cannot see that then he’s a fucking idiot and the wrong guy for the job.

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Jack Ross in the paper last night basically saying we don't need a defensive midfielder as long as the rest of the team ups its game when we lose the ball. 

I hope to God he doesn’t believe that.

Every top team needs a midfielder whose first thought is how to smell danger.

This week Mulgrew is out and Smith is in.

Just buy a goddamn defensive midfielder - Christ, bring McDonald back if yer desperate!

Edited by ArabFC

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

While you're correct to say McGrath wasn't known for his defensive abilities, his workrate always did stand out for us. He was a phenomenally hard working player and always tracked back diligently. He wasn't always picked as a number 10 but his effort was always beyond reproach.

It was odd seeing him being so anonymous last weekend.

Aye but hard working, in football terms, dosent necessarily mean good or productive.

It usually equates to "running about alot" for the majority, like Harkes. We need someone who can win the ball and move it on. Like, dare I say it, Gomis, Buaben, Flood, Rankin or Paton did in previous and far more successful eras.

I was pretty happy when we appointed Ross and im still on the 'decent manager' side but im really starting to worry about him and some of the shite he's gibbered.

6 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Oh dearie me.

Thank you.

Shocking post, unless it significantly affects Saints league position, like a matter of relegation, I want every other team to beat the OF.

Expelled from the Diddy Alliance!

Just a few short weeks ago, I was in a bit of despair as it was rumoured that Utd were about to sign Alex Gogic to cap off some half decent business on paper.

Fast forward and Alex Gogic was exactly what they needed in the middle. They are as soft as shite!