The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Jack Ross made his name off the back of St Mirren winning the Championship after escaping relegation the season before 
Runners up that season were newly promoted Livingston so it wasn’t a difficult league to win
We had the best player in the league by a mile - Lewis Morgan
JR talks a good game but, actually, he doesn’t know what he’s doing 

Yep we won that title despite Jack Ross, not because of him. With Morgan and the standard of the other teams in the league (Csaba lol) it was harder for us not to win it.
He’s pretty much built his whole managerial career off the back of that one season, he’s achieved nothing else of note.
Just shows you how far dressing smartly and speaking well in interviews gets you. He’s an absolute charlatan and it’s delightful to see him fail repeatedly.

I remember back in my school days, my dear old Geography teacher coming out with one of the most simple, obvious and true statements about football.

Win the midfield battle, win the game.

I'm sure others had said it but it was the first time I'd heard it and its stuck with me ever since.

Except Sibbald, I don't think there's anyone in the squad capable of that unless I'm missing someone. Levitt is a great wee player but he's not a battler. Neither are McGrath, Watt, Harkes (lol) or Middleton. 

Looking back at our two most recent successful teams, the midfield were run by grafters and battlers but they could also pick a pass from time to time. From the 2010 era we have Gomis, Prince and S Robertson. Next, during the Gaulden era we have Rankin and Paton. I was never a big fan of Paton but he carried out a role and complimented Rankin, covered ground and put tackles in (despite being a kiddy on hard man).

It seems obvious to me and most other folk I talk to but we are cring out for a replacement for Fuchs. A harrier / niggling fucker that wins the ball back.

Its a glaring oversight by Asghar and the recruitment department. Missing out on Gogic is one thing but you can't tell me there's no midfielder anywhere else in the UK or Europe available that could perform that role. 10 days left Tony. Get some c**t in the fucking door.

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'd say Ross is clearly the problem currently. He's got a much better squad than Courts had last season and the team has gone  backwards. We were boring and insipid going forward a lot of the time last season but we were at least solid and never panicked. That's three games in a row now that the team have completely collapsed. We're just as poor going forward but now we're also shite defensively. f**k knows what they're doing in training all week. 

The lack of a defensive minded midfielder has been obvious since the end of last season and he seems to have completely ignored it. The only guy who has come close to looking like he might be able to do that job is Sibbald, who has been inexplicably dropped after the starting the season well. A midfield three of Levitt, Harkes and McGrath is just mental particularly in a team lacking confidence. Presumably the plan is simply to blow the opposition away so we don't need to defend but we look a million miles away from being capable of doing that.

You'd have to jettison Mulgrew,Edwards and Smith for that. The slow aimlless, directionless gk to Edwards to Smith to Mulgrew to Smith all after about 5 touches to control it slows down absolutely ANY chance of doing anything at all. The opposition is all back closing of space.

When the ball does get to Middleton is 1st response (and he is far from the only one) is to passit straight back again irrespective of if he has time to turn and go forward. No in is hitting the byline at pace to stretch the opposition and put in a cross to Fletcher who if he does win it has no one (Watt, McGrath,Harkes,Middleton) with 5+ yards to win the knock-downs. Its getting that bad Fletcher was out wide with Smith and Middleton so he could get a touch and try to help create.

There is just so much wrong with our set up and play right now it is difficult to know where to start when you want to critique the team!

3 hours ago, NorthBank said:

When we signed Gogic on loan last season I wasn't that fussed. However Gogic proved to be a brilliant signing. He was playing DM and doing a brilliant job covering the back line and was also able to carry the ball forward in mazy runs. A real winner. Was gutted when he didn't sign on when the season ended. Thought he was moving to Utd. Don't know what happened there but Utd's loss is our gain. Delighted to have him back on board and Utd really missed a trick in not getting him on board when allegedly they had the chance.

Jack Ross happened. 

He signed Gogic for Hibs, barely used him in the 2nd season hence why we got him on loan. Don't think Gogic fancied the same treatment when JR was appointed at Tannadice

I’m not so sure your squad is as strong as some of the fans think. Problem is, JR needs better signings, not just more signings. Hladky, remember him, would be a good signing as you desperately need to sign a better keeper than those currently at Tannadice. Some steel in midfield is clearly a must as its no good having ‘skilful’ players if they don’t get any possession. Thanks for leaving Gogic for us, but your recruitment department needs to find a good quality DM quick. I think you’ll continue to struggle unless you bring 3 or 4 tried and tested players in very soon. Jack has been keen to nick our players in the past but he needs a new strategy…quickly.

41 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Jack Ross is just a younger John Hughes imo. One successful season with one club and he keeps getting gigs because of it. 

Which season is that? The one where Alloa won ten games on the trot including cuffing two premier sides and he steered a dire St Mirren to safety, or the one where he romped the league with St Mirren, or the one where he took Hibs to their best finish in donkeys?

Edited by printer

I don’t think Jack Ross does himself any favours with the way he conducts himself, he comes across as an arrogant smarmy sleazy twat.

You get away with that if you are very good but it leaves you little in the bank if your not. 
As others have said, he needs the right assistant to keep the players onside, like Fow did for him previously, if he has really lost the dressing room already then that is bloody amazing even for him.

The Livi, Motherwell and Hibs games look massive for him…………

JR did a great job at Alloa and St Mirren. Done a good job in the circumstances at Sunderland and took Hibs to their highest League position for some time. Don't know what is going wrong at Dundee Utd. Suspect he is missing his backroom team of Fowler, Potter and Samson.

Everyone ripping the pish out of United at the moment has every right to do so.  Even our lower league neighbours; especially our lower league neighbours.

The start of the season has been a fucking bin fire.  I’m looking for something more than platitudes from Ross and Fat Tony.

11 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I don't blame Dundee fans for getting excited. I'd be getting carried away after *checks notes* a 0-0 draw with Morton

You don't think that a 0-0 result away to Morton is slightly better than 3-0 humping at home to St Mirren?

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Everyone ripping the pish out of United at the moment has every right to do so.  Even our lower league neighbours; especially our lower league neighbours.

The start of the season has been a fucking bin fire.  I’m looking for something more than platitudes from Ross and Fat Tony.

negan-twd.gif.5096393a9423c09c31bf4400f858ed52.gif

4 hours ago, printer said:

Which season is that? The one where Alloa won ten games on the trot including cuffing two premier sides and he steered a dire St Mirren to safety, or the one where he romped the league with St Mirren, or the one where he took Hibs to their best finish in donkeys?

I would suggest it was the one in the top flight.

Steering St Mirren to safety in the Championship is hardly noteworthy. A ten game winning streak after he took Alloa down a league. And winning promotion with St Mirren? Even Gus McPherson managed that.