The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 minute ago, Kyle Reese said:

Has Ross ever won against HMFC as a coach, or manager?

Won on Boxing Day at Tynecastle in 2019.

Seeing a few things from his time at United so far that he was guilty of at Hibs. Be interesting to see how he does after a very poor start.

27 minutes ago, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

So are we.

And then sign a Finland international, but then also pay money for a first choice random Aussie turnstile.

At least turnstiles sometimes keep things out. 

We've bought an absolute Kawashima by the look of it.

12 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Sign me up for haranguing this dick. Can we get him in a pit like the big Lass that had to fight the bear in Game of Thrones?

It's been suggested (don't know if true) that that's Levitt's da.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

You can refer to him however you want.  It’s early days for both your team and mine, though I’d prefer to be trying to improve our position in the Premiership than hoping to hold on in the Championship.

'"hold on in the Championship"....LOL... The Dee are going to stroll that league

When you say improve your position do you mean 4th from last season or escaping relegation this season?

Unfortunately Jack Ross will be lucky to see the end of October

42 minutes ago, Zing. said:

Won on Boxing Day at Tynecastle in 2019.

Seeing a few things from his time at United so far that he was guilty of at Hibs. Be interesting to see how he does after a very poor start.

It's interesting to read United fans in agreement about defensive midfield being a problem. I wasn't fully Ross out at Hibs but it was an area he never addressed with us. To be fair, most managers in my lifetime watching Hibs haven't managed to sign a decent DM either.

51 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

By my reckoning you have watched more of our games this season than your own. Rent free

I've watched 2 dayglo fruit games, hardly makes me an obsessive.

I'll bet you had a tune in on Friday, Twonkle.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

I don't think anything is determined by three games so I can only assume you're being defensive or just thick as I clarified my point later in the post.

Or he is, in fact, as @johnnydun correctly intimated,

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

1100605614_JackataLoss.png.a2a280aec5c198a0d7f386df81508a46.png.bc07db3ea0aa555bc089a4ea99ffddc5.png

Think the Arabs need to look at things a lot more logically. 

Its been a tough start to the season and the Sunday after Europe is always a nightmare.  Killie you should have won, beat AZ at home and more than matched Hearts until half time.  New manager, new players, new formation and and shape.  Will all take time to click and this league is so inconsistent win a couple games and will be up the top half of the league again.  Now Europe is gone and its the league to concentrate on things will improve.

Jacks a good manager given time.  The signs are already there of a good base and team.  Need a new goalie mind you. 

On the comments that StMirren is a "must win", for me it is. Failure to do so will have the fans on Ross, leave us 1pt from 12 with a game against Celtic, lets face it, we are extremely unlikely to get anything from, leaving us 1pt from 15.  We then have the cup game away to Livi before we face Motherwell at Fir Park. A loss in that game and confidence is going to be seriously rock bottom and 1pt from 18! Getting to that stage and we'll be struggling all season. I know its all "ifs & buts" and worst case scenario but you can see it looking at the players.

For me the pre season was poor, Killie and Livi were poor, shocking against AZ away & Hearts. The anomaly was the good performance against AZ at home. It papererd over a lot of cracks but even there, there were a few problems.

Birighitti needs dropped. If he has won the A-League keeper of the year 2 years running how bad are the rest of them??

Eriksson, who was best keeper in Sweden and current Finland squad member, must wonder what he has to do to get in the team, he was "dropped" after a mistake in Pre-season.

The glaring recruitment issue for me is we have no DM and no goal scorer. Fletcher for me isn't that, he can hold the ball, good in the air and something we've been missing, will score some, but needs the likes if Watt, McGrath, Harkes, Cudjoe and Middleton to step up play off him and share the burden.

The other big issue for me with recruitment, is mentality. We appear to have added to the team more weak, head dropping players. There doesn't seem to be a tunnel vision will to win in the team and it gives off the impression that heads go down too easy.

Defence (minus gk) appear to have regressed. They also, when it comes to distribution appear myopic in that they ignore completely players in space, and unable to move the ball quickly. They take 4/5 touches on receiving the ball before passing, given the opposition plenty of time to close of space.

Midfield is almost non existent, weak and easy bullied.

Birighitti, Smith, Watt and Harkes need benched. Obvious reasons for the gk, Watt is frustrating, trying to do everything himself & going down too easy. Being dropped might give him the boot up the arse he needs. Harkes and McGrath can't play in the same midfield together and Meekison looks tidy and can pick a pass. Sheep for Smith for me. A lot of our good form last season was while Freeman was in the team. The one bright spot so far seems to be Cudjoe. 

For us we've spent big this season, we've brought in on paper decent individuals. But on the evidence (other than AZ win) looks like it's weakened us as a team. I do hope JR can turn it round,  improve our performances, get some confidence into the players. If we don't the home game against Hibs is going to be toxic.

Edited by Tannadeechee

35 minutes ago, Denspark1893 said:

'"hold on in the Championship"....LOL... The Dee are going to stroll that league

When you say improve your position do you mean 4th from last season or escaping relegation this season?

Unfortunately Jack Ross will be lucky to see the end of October

You may be right but there is surely more than enough quality in the united squad even now. ?

1 minute ago, Yorky said:

You may be right but there is surely more than enough quality in the united squad even now. ?

Individually yes, but collectively as a team? That's the question. I'd tend to agree there is but we need to start picking up points, or at very least performances as the Euro home game has been the only real one we've had. I was hoping for a realistic 8-10 points from the opening games of Killie. (a), Livi(h), Hearts (a), Celtic (h) and Well (a). As it stands we're looking at 2 maybe 4 at most.

AZ at home says we can, the lack of confidence and utter panic ruppling through the team currently says "hopefully"

35 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Think the Arabs need to look at things a lot more logically. 

Its been a tough start to the season and the Sunday after Europe is always a nightmare.  Killie you should have won, beat AZ at home and more than matched Hearts until half time.  New manager, new players, new formation and and shape.  Will all take time to click and this league is so inconsistent win a couple games and will be up the top half of the league again.  Now Europe is gone and its the league to concentrate on things will improve.

Jacks a good manager given time.  The signs are already there of a good base and team.  Need a new goalie mind you. 

Since when did "matched till ht" in a 4 ,1 defeat become anything of a positive 

12 minutes ago, magoo said:

Since when did "matched till ht" in a 4 ,1 defeat become anything of a positive 

Goal scored again and keeper fucks up heads drop.  I said more than matched - was the better team.  Hearts had a match winner in Makay, Dundee Utds was injured. 

Hearts are the third best side (reluctantly) in the country just now.  You try to focus and build on positives afterall. 

Edited by Hoose Rice

11 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Goal scored again and keeper fucks up heads drop.  I said more than matched - was the better team.  Hearts had a match winner in Makay, Dundee Utds was injured. 

Hearts are the third best side (reluctantly) in the country just now.  You try to focus and build on positives afterall. 

youre right GIF
xx

27 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

TBH even after this latest embarrassing mauling, the most disgusted I've been this weekend is still your lad Kenneh at Livi's first goal, tracking back like he was on the last mile of a charity 10k dressed in a Mr Blobby suit. Just missing the waves to the crowd.