The Dundee United Thread 22/23

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Sure, at some point, but let's cross that bridge when we come to it. There's more to be gained by winning tomorrow and gaining confidence and fitness for the first choice XI than would be gained by resting guys at this stage of season and running the risk of wasting points, confidence and momentum. Any changes tomorrow are likely to be to strengthen the team (by bringing in McGrath and - if his permit is through - Behich).

Levitt took a knock on Thursday. If he's less than 100%, I might be tempted to give him a rest, perhaps for Meekison, but that'd be it.

Think you're right on balance but still expecting a few changes. Graham for Mulgrew might make sense, not sure he can go Killie, AZ, Livi, AZ, and be good for Hearts. Meekison too aye, surely picking up some tricks already from Levitt.

Probably a few squad boys short still anyway - striker, DM, CB.

Edited by Fletchers Saucy Manbun

Strongest team please.

The more they play together the better they will gel. Mind half that team hadn't met each other about a fortnight ago. 

Don't want to be sitting 2nd in April by 2 points thinking we could be sitting clear top had we played a strong team in a game where we stupidly dropped points.

12 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Strongest team please.

The more they play together the better they will gel. Mind half that team hadn't met each other about a fortnight ago. 

Don't want to be sitting 2nd in April by 2 points thinking we could be sitting clear top had we played a strong team in a game where we stupidly dropped points.

Agreed. I wouldn't want Ross to make too many changes. McGrath for Harkes and Graham for Mulgrew maybe. That would do

Not looked at the match thread, and just got in the house, but here are a few thoughts from today's game and going forward.

Just opinions, but Jack Ross has got to decide what to do with Tony Watt. Physical and talented as he is, playing on the left side seems a waste to me. Over and above, he's a bit of a liability, looking to be clever to gain fouls. Although internationally the rules are universal, he'll get away with more in Europe than he can in Scotland. Some of the 'fouls' on him today I was amazed weren't given, but others he embarrassed himself.

Again, and on Jack Ross, replacing two guys on the left of his defensive four for two others didn't help Watt: neither McMann nor Graham are comfortable trying to find a team mate with the ball at their feet, something Martindale worked out pre match, I'm sure.

And yet, most of the game, we seemed to concentrate on playing down the left today, until Cudjoe came on.

I think we'll get more balance at some point, and trust that Jack Ross is still learning things about the squad while also keeping players onside, but some of the problems today appeared obvious.

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Not looked at the match thread, and just got in the house, but here are a few thoughts from today's game and going forward.

Just opinions, but Jack Ross has got to decide what to do with Tony Watt. Physical and talented as he is, playing on the left side seems a waste to me. Over and above, he's a bit of a liability, looking to be clever to gain fouls. Although internationally the rules are universal, he'll get away with more in Europe than he can in Scotland. Some of the 'fouls' on him today I was amazed weren't given, but others he embarrassed himself.

Again, and on Jack Ross, replacing two guys on the left of his defensive four for two others didn't help Watt: neither McMann nor Graham are comfortable trying to find a team mate with the ball at their feet, something Martindale worked out pre match, I'm sure.

And yet, most of the game, we seemed to concentrate on playing down the left today, until Cudjoe came on.

I think we'll get more balance at some point, and trust that Jack Ross is still learning things about the squad while also keeping players onside, but some of the problems today appeared obvious.

Might sound bad but wasn't hugely bothered about today's result, however I thought looking at the starting line up that we would win.

Onto Thursday...