The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's the expectation for you lads this season?

Seem to have spent quite a bit on Levitt, Fletcher and of course, the new manager but having lost Siegrist, increase in amount of games due to Europe and 4th looking like it'd require a team to maybe be considerably better than last season, would you be content with bottom 6 or would that be grounds for the pitchfork treatment?

Genuinely curious, not a trolling attempt.

To be honest, if Aberdeen & Hibs were to get back to where they “should” be and we were to finish 7th behind this seasons top 3, Aberdeen, Hibs and say a strong Motherwell side I think I’d be disappointed but not necessarily calling for heads to roll, providing we played well enough. 

If however the season pans out like last year and we finished 7th behind the top 3, and bang average Motherwell, Ross County and Livingston teams, say, who had won 3 games after Christmas or spent most of the season in the relegation spots then I wouldn’t be quite so chipper. 

Tbf I don't see how United should struggle in qualifying for Europe again, as I very much have my doubts that Hibs and Aberdeen are back where they "should" be. Fourth is certainly a very realistic outcome (as much as I dislike saying it).

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's the expectation for you lads this season?

Seem to have spent quite a bit on Levitt, Fletcher and of course, the new manager but having lost Siegrist, increase in amount of games due to Europe and 4th looking like it'd require a team to maybe be considerably better than last season, would you be content with bottom 6 or would that be grounds for the pitchfork treatment?

Genuinely curious, not a trolling attempt.

Top 6 and a couple of cup runs. Hopefully our Conference League group matches dont affect our league season too much

3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Just going by the comments in the Livi thread. If it's a load of shite then it's shite from your fellow posters, and from you.

This appears to be the only reference to Sibbald going to Dunfermline. Looks pretty tenuous to me. No doubt you'll be able to provide an authoritative source for the deal being 100% done.

Here's you reporting that Sibbald had been offered a deal.

And one of your chums opining that he's your best player (I toned it down to 'one of' because these assessments are always subjective.

I've no personal knowledge of Sibbald's time at Livi so if the posts in your thread from fellow Livi fans are bollocks then fair enough. 

He had a terrible season with illness and injuries last season, but i stick by my post. He's as technically gifted a player that we had  when he was at Livi, a fully fit Sibbald isn't just a squad player. Just not last season.

Really hope he gets his illness and injury issues sorted for this season and gets back to his best, top player and top lad, deserves some luck after the shite time he had last season.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Apparently that's us in for 2 Aussies, Garuccio that used to play for Hearts and the keeper from CCM. 

Notice the dude who played for Hearts is a LB. 

Why would we sign another when we've got McMann and Niskanen who played lb/lwb regularly last season. Along with Graham who can play there plus Duffy (who I noticed is away on the pre season trip to Spain) Freeman and Smith who can both play left back! 

Edited by ArabianKnight

Ross keeps stating that we are 'significantly short' of players, which disheartens me.

Obviously many are kids, but going by wiki we have 30 players in the first team squad.

If we're signing players just so we have two senior players defaulted in every position, that is a huge waste of resources imho.

There are a couple of key positions we need to fill with quality - a defensive midfielder being top of the list.

22 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Ross keeps stating that we are 'significantly short' of players, which disheartens me.

Obviously many are kids, but going by wiki we have 30 players in the first team squad.

If we're signing players just so we have two senior players defaulted in every position, that is a huge waste of resources imho.

There are a couple of key positions we need to fill with quality - a defensive midfielder being top of the list.

Maybe he means good quality players.

The keeper situation is a mystery. Is the new guy going to be good or a disaster? Who knows.

Our defence (bar the left hand side) is solid in terms of backup if playing 4 at the back.

Midfield is the same as last seasons which, bar Levitt, was about as uncreative as I've ever seen. We need a box to box and a defensive midfielder imo. Mind you, we've got Harkes again. Yay. 

Maybe Butcher will come back into the fold with Ross??

And we need a winger on the right hand side too.

We couldn't score for shit last season either. Hopefully Fletcher can help in that department but we need the ball in better positions.

Ultimately, if Ross can get 2 good players for most positions and its sanctioned by Big Ogren then thats fine by me. We'll need a decent sized squad, with quality, if they are serious about trying to get a wee Euro run with top 6 and a cup run.

39 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Apparently that's us in for 2 Aussies, Garuccio that used to play for Hearts and the keeper from CCM. 

Notice the dude who played for Hearts is a LB. 

Why would we sign another when we've got McMann and Niskanen who played lb/lwb regularly last season. Along with Graham who can play there plus Duffy (who I noticed is away on the pre season trip to Spain) Freeman and Smith who can both play left back! 

10 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

This is my thoughts too. The only positions we are REALLY short in is a 2nd keeper and defensive midfielder. As @ArabianKnightmentions a whole lost of folk that can play LB if needed its.not really a prority and makes no sense, unless Garuccio is a better player than McMann but surely a 2nd keeper and defensive midfielder would make us a better team than another LB.

Of the often mentioned 18 players who left who were actually 1st teamers requiring replacement?

Siegrist - although it caan be argued that Eriksson is his replacement and we need to replace Carson

Neison - didn't.play many games for whatever reason. Still have 3 CHs so depending on formation its a maybe, unless one of the youth are looking OK as a backup.

McNulty - Fletcher in for him.

Biamou - only appepared on the pitch so we knew what he looked like. Doesn't need to be replaced as he didn't contribute, although could be argued Flletcher isnhis replacement and we need a trickierplayer in to replace McNulty as Watt isn't the "in the box striker" we need to out pressure on Clark.

Sporle - gave cover for LB and Left mid, but we have Niskanen, or McMann who can play there or Kai Fothheringham who will need more game time too.

McDonald - although he was only here 6 months with the Butcher situation this is a must. We've had rumours of Gogic but we need someone here. Should be a priority along with a Carson replacement.

Midfield is where we are strongest in numbers, with Glass, Mochrie, Meekison, Harkes,Levitt, Chalmer, Pawlett, Cudjoe and the young lad who made is debut towards the end of the season whose name I forrget. Thats where I suprised at some of Ross' comments. Its not numbers, its quality we need.

4 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

McDonald - although he was only here 6 months with the Butcher situation this is a must. We've had rumours of Gogic but we need someone here. Should be a priority along with a Carson replacement.

I'm surprised we didn't try to keep a hold of McDonald - maybe we did.

He didn't play great, but he's a big physical experienced midfielder that could have come in handy occasionally and allowed us to concentrate on bringing in a box to box guy to play alongside Levitt.

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Maybe he means good quality players.

The keeper situation is a mystery. Is the new guy going to be good or a disaster? Who knows.

Our defence (bar the left hand side) is solid in terms of backup if playing 4 at the back.

Midfield is the same as last seasons which, bar Levitt, was about as uncreative as I've ever seen. We need a box to box and a defensive midfielder imo. Mind you, we've got Harkes again. Yay. 

Maybe Butcher will come back into the fold with Ross??

And we need a winger on the right hand side too.

We couldn't score for shit last season either. Hopefully Fletcher can help in that department but we need the ball in better positions.

Ultimately, if Ross can get 2 good players for most positions and its sanctioned by Big Ogren then thats fine by me. We'll need a decent sized squad, with quality, if they are serious about trying to get a wee Euro run with top 6 and a cup run.

Not sure it is as big a mystery as its being put out. So many people seem to think its another Walter Rojas situation because he didn't appear last year.  We had a No.1 let him get used to the area/club and settle in ready for replacing Benji. His stats are better than Siegrist & Clark, although its stats and we all know stats aren't everything, and its Swedish top league to Scottish top league. But I'm fairly OK with thhat aslong as we get a decent Carson replacement.

The uncreative side of things is a worry, but we did see enough last season that if we break at pace and stretch the oposition wee looked so much better. The midfield struggled to open up a defense that was given all the time in the world to get back in numbers cloose off space.

I agree someone that can use the right hand side as we can become predictable in going left so often. Could Freman be a good shout to be moved forward?

3 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I'm surprised we didn't try to keep a hold of McDonald - maybe we did.

He didn't play great, but he's a big physical experienced midfielder that could have come in handy occasionally and allowed us to concentrate on bringing in a box to box guy to play alongside Levitt.

He wasn't consistent, you'd see flashes of good play & then followed by periods of meh. How much of that was him getting more upto speed after his health issues, or struggling with the pace of the game now?

14 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Not sure it is as big a mystery as its being put out. So many people seem to think its another Walter Rojas situation because he didn't appear last year.  We had a No.1 let him get used to the area/club and settle in ready for replacing Benji. His stats are better than Siegrist & Clark, although its stats and we all know stats aren't everything, and its Swedish top league to Scottish top league. But I'm fairly OK with thhat aslong as we get a decent Carson replacement.

The uncreative side of things is a worry, but we did see enough last season that if we break at pace and stretch the oposition wee looked so much better. The midfield struggled to open up a defense that was given all the time in the world to get back in numbers cloose off space.

I agree someone that can use the right hand side as we can become predictable in going left so often. Could Freman be a good shout to be moved forward?

The Freman would be a more dangerous option then Freeman.

38 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

There is absolutely no chance we are approaching Clarke as a back up keeper.

It's clear, that for whatever reason, the people around the club don't trust him to be no. 1 keeper.

FWIW I've heard he has looked a disaster in training. 

He looks fine in video so you have to wonder if other issues there.

37 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Hope so. I've seen some folk say hes a good keeper and others slating the guy. I initially was very excited to see us bring in someone like him and without seeing his stats, his pedigree is promising.

I hope with Levitt having a full season of games under his belt he hits the ground running and is given permission to get forward rather than sit deep. That helps the creative issue a little. But I hope the young lads like Meekison and Glass get a chance and may at least be part of the solution to our creative problems.

Whats the guy Watson like? A winger? Which is what I though he was. Or a striker?

I quite like Freeman in the wing back / right back spot as he just goes forward. Not for every game but for ones wed expect to win I feel he'd be the better option. But whatever the solution is, we need more pace in the team.

17 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

There is absolutely no chance we are approaching Clarke as a back up keeper.

It's clear, that for whatever reason, the people around the club don't trust him to be no. 1 keeper.

FWIW I've heard he has looked a disaster in training. 

He looks fine in video so you have to wonder if other issues there.

Thing is I've heard the exact opposite.  So no idea what the story is. 

18 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Hope so. I've seen some folk say hes a good keeper and others slating the guy. I initially was very excited to see us bring in someone like him and without seeing his stats, his pedigree is promising.

I hope with Levitt having a full season of games under his belt he hits the ground running and is given permission to get forward rather than sit deep. That helps the creative issue a little. But I hope the young lads like Meekison and Glass get a chance and may at least be part of the solution to our creative problems.

Whats the guy Watson like? A winger? Which is what I though he was. Or a striker?

I quite like Freeman in the wing back / right back spot as he just goes forward. Not for every game but for ones wed expect to win I feel he'd be the better option. But whatever the solution is, we need more pace in the team.

Watson is supposed to be a winger, but the few times we've seen him its been to use his pace up front, ie the COViD hit game at Ibrox where he did well. Hopefully get to see more of him this season.

Edited by Tannadeechee