The Dundee United Thread 22/23

16 minutes ago, DUFC_ said:

Actually surprised on that Levitt contract tbh, he is with a huge agency (Wasserman) you would think there were much bigger teams in for him at that price. Interested to see the sell on % going to Man U because if he does have a decent World Cup we might well be back in the green 😂

Just checking who else might have been offered to us, Phil Jones...alright as you were nothing to see here.

I reckon they recognise playing every week at United is his best bet for getting in the World Cup squad, which will be massive for him personally and professionally. Moving to a Championship team might mean extended periods on the bench whilst he tries to establish himself.

Hence a 2yr deal, 1 decent (hopefully brilliant) season here, including a place at the World Cup and the pressure will be on us to sell next summer. Get a decent profit then, he gets a good move and everyone’s a winner. 

3 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

I reckon they recognise playing every week at United is his best bet for getting in the World Cup squad, which will be massive for him personally and professionally. Moving to a Championship team might mean extended periods on the bench whilst he tries to establish himself.

Hence a 2yr deal, 1 decent (hopefully brilliant) season here, including a place at the World Cup and the pressure will be on us to sell next summer. Get a decent profit then, he gets a good move and everyone’s a winner. 

Spot on second paragraph, another good year and a decent profit is perfect business for a club like ours.

36 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Firstly, obviously the selling club have zero say on the length of contract then offered.

Secondly, having a year left on a deal basically halves (and more) the money you can expect by way of transfer fee.

Edited by ArabFC

4 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Firstly, obviously the selling club have zero say on the length of contract then offered.

Secondly, having a year left on a deal basically halves (and more) the money you can expect by way of transfer fee.

When I said “they” I meant the player and his agents, who were referred to in the original post.

And yeah, obviously having a year left will limit any transfer fee we can ask for next year, but I’d still be confident we could make a healthy profit. But clearly if United have paid a decent fee we’d obviously have offered him a 3 or probably 4 yr deal, so I’d imagine it’s the player who has requested the 2yr deal (if the rumour is true) which, as I said, puts the pressure on us to sell next summer. 

If Levitt is supplying chances to Fletcher for 2 years, he can leave for free then, as the Champions League riches will dwarf any outlay

<serious part of post>Two good signings if we get them though, Rotund Tony must stay</serious part of post>

2 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Levitt is a good player. 
I’d have liked The Dons to have gone for him.

BUT…. A 2 year deal?

It’s essentially a 1 year deal because you won’t let him run down his contract.

It would be madness to do so.

If it’s true, and I’d like to see it confirmed before celebrating, I can only imagine the2 years is one of Levitt’s conditions.  Absolutely spot on from his point of view.

11 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Levitt is a good player. 

BUT…. A 2 year deal?

It's apparently a one year loan with an obligation to buy for £300k. It's great business by United.

18 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Levitt is a good player. 

BUT…. A 2 year deal?

Well yeah, one year then he extends with the promise of Champions League football coming up or we sell for a profit. Win win. 

29 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

It's apparently a one year loan with an obligation to buy for £300k. It's great business by United.

If that’s the case then yes it is a great deal.

You’re assuming he won’t have better offers next year though?

If he does as he did last year then you’d think there would be bigger, better offers available.

I’m really surprised there isn’t this year. 

11 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

You’re assuming he won’t have better offers next year though?

Am I? 

It's an obligation to buy. Any interested party next season still has to pay Dundee United. The same as they would have if he signed a two year deal today.