The Dundee United Thread 22/23

2 hours ago, Steven W said:

Where does this he's a 'Dundee fan' thing come from?

I played youth football with him for a couple of years and don't recall him being a Dee.

Never seen any link with him and Dundee othher than him playing for Dundee as a youth. Unless of course coming from Falkirk becoming a Dundee fan while a youth player was more palatable than following Falkirk.

2 hours ago, Steven W said:

I played youth football with him for a couple of years and don't recall him being a Dee.

His friend and his friend's father took him to a few games while he was a kid. He also sold programs so he could get in to watch. Someone posted the podcast he said that about a year ago when we were first in for him but I can't find it.

I don't think he's a Dee, I think he just had an interest in football and because his friends liked Dundee he went too.

30 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Never seen any link with him and Dundee othher than him playing for Dundee as a youth. Unless of course coming from Falkirk becoming a Dundee fan while a youth player was more palatable than following Falkirk.

That would amount to a pretty significant link I'd say. 

15 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The diamond breaking the white circle is a strange choice and causes a optical illusion that make the badge look non-circular.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that is seeing that optical illusion - looks very "blobby" through my eyes!

9 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

I’d be ok with him bringing in Doidge and Gogic.

Gogic bullied Butcher in a game at Tannadice at the start of last season - would be a good replacement, if Butcher is off.

9 hours ago, billyg said:

...and also McGinn , who is on his way out too !

Can McGinn play on both sides, or is he predominantly right-back?

8 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

For a brief second when i saw the thread title i thought it read Jack Ross Relegation Thread 22/23.  Thought wooft that's a new level of pessimism from Utd fans expecting the worst from their managers.

You clearly don't pay enough attention to this thread, if you thought that was a new low - give it about a month and a couple of defeats and you'll see some proper negativity...

3 hours ago, Steven W said:

It comes from Jack Ross himself:

One of my near neighbours was a Dundee 
fan, whose father was a 
season ticket holder at Dens. We were pals and I played football with him and his 
little brother, so started to go to games every Saturday with them, more or less. So I became a Dundee fan through default. At one point I even sold programmes at the Provie 
Road end at Dens – one of the games that sticks out is the 4-3 win over Rangers, when I was selling programmes before it. I watched Dundee home and away for a good few years. Strangely enough, I signed an S form with them when I was 13, although I am not sure they also knew I was a fan.

Survival of fittest as Jack Ross plots St Mirren's escape | The Scotsman

Edited by Ludo*1

19 minutes ago, hk blues said:

That would amount to a pretty significant link I'd say. 

It is, has no relevance as to whether he's a fan though. Hundreds of players play youth football for a team from an other town than they are from. Doesn't translate that they would be a supporter. He might be, but the "he's a Dundee fan" I've not seen until he was linked to the job at Dens.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

OK, thanks for that, I stand  corrected 👍. Did wonder how he was a fan. Easy to see how a fan might not manage a club they support though. Might think with the heart not the head, take things too personally & put themselves under too much stress. Some may be the opposite l, but easy to see why.

Just now, Tannadeechee said:

OK, thanks for that, I stand  corrected 👍. Did wonder how he was a fan. Easy to see how a fan might not manage a club they support though. Might think with the heart not the head, take things too personally & put themselves under too much stress. Some may be the opposite l, but easy to see why.

Agreed, I think ultimately budding managers have to become detached from having a 'team' as they'll have a new job every few years and need to be fully invested in the club they're at. It'll be good for Agent Ross patter if it all goes wrong but ultimately there's very little relevance.

9 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

It is, has no relevance as to whether he's a fan though. Hundreds of players play youth football for a team from an other town than they are from. Doesn't translate that they would be a supporter. He might be, but the "he's a Dundee fan" I've not seen until he was linked to the job at Dens.

I didn't get from your post that you were talking about him being/not being a fan, just that his only connection to Dundee was being a youth player at Dens.

Carry on...

Can’t help but think the whole relocating thing was a bit of a white lie if said from him. Probably found that Strachan would have been nightmare to work under and didn’t have the heart to say so.

Edited by gannonball

8 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Paul McGinn at United and look forward to signing players from St.Mirren every transfer window. 

Wouldn't he have plundered all the players he could - and the physio, and the kitman and the folks manning the pie stalls - from his time at St Mirren?

He'll be gutting Hibs for players now.

7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I didn't get from your post that you were talking about him being/not being a fan, just that his only connection to Dundee was being a youth player at Dens.

Carry on...

No worries, was probably badly worded anyway. @Ludo*1has linked to an interview where Ross has explained being a Dee, so as they say learn something new every day!

Just now, Tannadeechee said:

No worries, was probably badly worded anyway. @Ludo*1has linked to an interview where Ross has explained being a Dee, so as they say learn something new every day!

It was something mentioned frequently on dee sites when he was supposedly in the running for the job in the past - I'm not sure how much of  a Dee he actually is/was t.b.h.

16 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Wouldn't he have plundered all the players he could - and the physio, and the kitman and the folks manning the pie stalls - from his time at St Mirren?

He'll be gutting Hibs for players now.

Yeah, I think Ross has mined us for everyone he'll have had prior contact with.

I did wonder about Jay Henderson - he twatted in a couple of screamers against United last season - but Ross likes a wide player who can really carry games (Martin Boyle, Lewis Morgan) and I don't think Henderson is there yet. Plus, United would have to show us the money, and I reckon Jim Goodwin would fancy him too.