The Dundee United Thread 22/23

18 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Was thinking about what we need for next season and the players who are likely to go, and who I hope will go.

Assuming Seigrist is away seem to have the goalkeeping position covered by Carson, Eriksson and the possibility of Zander Clark.

Defence is not too bad with McMann, Edwards, Mulgrew, Graham, Neilson, Freeman and Smith.  Maybe need cover at left back/left wing back and it depends what position Courts wants to play Smith in.

In midfield the players who will be away/who I’d like to see gone, are Butcher, Pawlett, Levitt, Sporle, Hoti and McDonald.  I cannot see us keeping Levitt as much as I’d like to.

That leaves Harkes, Niskanen, Mochrie, Meekison and Cudjoe.  We need defensive midfielders and wide players.

Up front McNulty has to go leaving Clark, Watt and Chalmers with Watson maybe getting some game time.  So a couple of strikers including someone who can hold the ball.

Hopefully we’re already identifying players including a scouting mission to the Scandinavian hinterland.

There was an interview with Pawlett recently where he revealed he's been playing through pain and been on pain killers for about 5 years, recently had an operation and should be nearly pain free now. Id be willing to see how he is this coming season and see if he can link up with Watt. 

Theres no doubt he's a good player when he's on form, its just a case of getting him fit and keeping him fit. If his issues are over we may well have a decent option now. 

Other than that i reckon you're not far off what will be here next year. Id let Harkes, McNulty, Sporle and Hoti go as we should be improving on these players. McDonald? Maybe with a pre season he'll be fit enough to last 90 mins. If not then id let him go. Id love Levitt to stay another couple of years but think he'll be off to bigger and better.

Benji? Hmm. Stinking initially but hes improved massively. Prone to the odd mistake here and there and his recent form has been poor for whatever reason so I wouldnt break the bank to keep him. Solid Premiership keeper whos won us a fair few points over the piece but if he away let's get the new guy in goal ASAP.

Goalkeepers seem fine. Clark, if he signs, will be a good addition.

Defence is OK imo. Good blend of old, young and younger.

Midfield needs some creativity, pace and width, along with some grit if Butcher is getting binned. Please lets keep Niskanen on the wing on his proper side next season.

I hope they are working on clones of Jon Daly and Johnny Russel. That would solve many a problem up front.

19 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I hope they are working on clones of Jon Daly and Johnny Russel. That would solve many a problem up front.

Kevin Gallacher has been my favourite ever United player since I was a wee boy.

If there's a third cloning chamber available in your plan, that's a serious front three.

McNulty out for the season so assume and hope he’s kicked his last ball for United.

McDonald back fit and available for sevco away.

can see us playing Watt up front on his own for next 2 games, with Clark replacing him for last 20 minutes. So only change might be McDonald in for McNulty.

Could be a good time to play Rangers on Sunday. Minds will be elsewhere and with two finals in two weeks they could well rest the vast majority of the team that played tonight. Whether we are capable of taking advantage if that was to happen is another thing entirely. 

Could be a good time to play Rangers on Sunday. Minds will be elsewhere and with two finals in two weeks they could well rest the vast majority of the team that played tonight. Whether we are capable of taking advantage if that was to happen is another thing entirely. 
Alternatively, they could be on a high and give us a doing solely on adrenaline

Aye they are 1/6 .. a doing is expected going by the odds. Would be surprised if they start at those odds once team news is out. Id be very surprised if changes are not made. Even if they are made , they would still be obviously big favourites. Wholesale changes would/should give us more of a shout but a doing is still odds on. 

Edited by low-life

21 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

I mean I thought it was common knowledge United approached Rudden in the summer. Him and Tiffoney would definitely add to the squad IMO. 

Edited by ArabianKnight

12 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I mean I thought it was common knowledge United approached Rudden in the summer. Him and Tiffoney would definitely add to the squad IMO. 

Ffs man. Neither are anywhere near good enough. A pair of fucking bams.

No ta.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

What was the ‘you’re away to get stiffed with Rudden’ line all about?

Tiffoney was poor last night, but aside from that, any time I've seen him I thought he's looked really good. He gave us a hard time in the cup tie at Firhill. MoTM was he not?

Would imagine, wages wise, we won't be paying out too much, so seems a gamble (every signing is a gamble) worth going for.

8 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

Not sure but he said it in connection with his comments about Tiffoney so I'm assuming he means he's leaving them for us too. 

12 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

FFS. Who gives a f**k about him? Id rather we heard Ray McKinnon talk about his recent heart attack for 4 hours tbh.

What an absolute tragic choice. Someone at Uniteds finger is certainly not on the pulse.

10 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

Not sure if this has been answered, but we're going to a tribunal to see how much we are due Partick Thistle for Rudden. It was in reference to us. Tiffany stuff was in reference to you.