The Dundee United Thread 22/23

6 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

IMO Harkes has been offered slightly improved terms as we'll be sans another "experienced" player come the summer. 

So basically we're giving Harkes more money because Butcher will be away?

If so, thats fucking mental logic. We'd be better binning him too and bringing in a couple of decent players imo.

Seems a top bloke does Harkes but he's a bit, well, shite.

Players like Ian Harkes are the reason we wont progress as a club. I refuse to believe there are players out there that arent better than him and would cost just as much in wages. Hes the token american to keep the owners happy imho
Leaving the merits or otherwise of Harkes to one side, this is our fourth consecutive season of finishing higher than we did the previous season, which rather suggests we are progressing as a club...

I know there's a lot of people who think Ian Harkes is shite, but have these people considered that they're wrong?

Just something to to think about.
He was very good in the first half of the season tbf. I do think it's worth keeping him around.

50 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
8 hours ago, Twinkle said:
Players like Ian Harkes are the reason we wont progress as a club. I refuse to believe there are players out there that arent better than him and would cost just as much in wages. Hes the token american to keep the owners happy imho

Leaving the merits or otherwise of Harkes to one side, this is our fourth consecutive season of finishing higher than we did the previous season, which rather suggests we are progressing as a club...

Anything lower than third next season and Courts and Fat Tony have to go.

12 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Michael Stewart having a few heads gone moments and a red card against us when he played for Hertz. Once in the game just after Phil O'Donnel passing away and one after that I think. He could never get near Gomis who usually ripped the pish out of him. He just couldn't handle it. 

The one where he was sent off for argueing with his own fans was very funny. You could always tell he was heading for a red card as he became more and more agitated & erratic on thr pitch.

54 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

The one where he was sent off for argueing with his own fans was very funny. You could always tell he was heading for a red card as he became more and more agitated & erratic on thr pitch.

Thats the one!

Anyone know what's going on with Carljohan Eriksson? Assumed we signed him to be first choice next season but he's not played a single game yet despite multiple mistakes from Siegrist and now United are linked with Zander Clark and Courts is saying that United are still trying to keep Siegrist.

Eriksson was one of the best keepers in the Swedish league last season and had made his debut for his national team, so I'm worried that United feel the need to bring in another keeper despite that. Makes me wonder how he has performed in training.

3 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

Was that not the same game at Tannadice that one of their defenders also tried to kick Lee Wilkie* off-the-ball even though the ball was nowhere near their box at the time? He ended up missing but the officials caught him, sent him off and gave us a penalty on top.

*I think it was aimed at Wilkie.

Eta: I think it was the game Robson scored a hat trick.

Edited by captainkev

Was thinking about what we need for next season and the players who are likely to go, and who I hope will go.

Assuming Seigrist is away seem to have the goalkeeping position covered by Carson, Eriksson and the possibility of Zander Clark.

Defence is not too bad with McMann, Edwards, Mulgrew, Graham, Neilson, Freeman and Smith.  Maybe need cover at left back/left wing back and it depends what position Courts wants to play Smith in.

In midfield the players who will be away/who I’d like to see gone, are Butcher, Pawlett, Levitt, Sporle, Hoti and McDonald.  I cannot see us keeping Levitt as much as I’d like to.

That leaves Harkes, Niskanen, Mochrie, Meekison and Cudjoe.  We need defensive midfielders and wide players.

Up front McNulty has to go leaving Clark, Watt and Chalmers with Watson maybe getting some game time.  So a couple of strikers including someone who can hold the ball.

Hopefully we’re already identifying players including a scouting mission to the Scandinavian hinterland.

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Was thinking about what we need for next season and the players who are likely to go, and who I hope will go.

Assuming Seigrist is away seem to have the goalkeeping position covered by Carson, Eriksson and the possibility of Zander Clark.

Defence is not too bad with McMann, Edwards, Mulgrew, Graham, Neilson, Freeman and Smith.  Maybe need cover at left back/left wing back and it depends what position Courts wants to play Smith in.

In midfield the players who will be away/who I’d like to see gone, are Butcher, Pawlett, Levitt, Sporle, Hoti and McDonald.  I cannot see us keeping Levitt as much as I’d like to.

That leaves Harkes, Niskanen, Mochrie, Meekison and Cudjoe.  We need defensive midfielders and wide players.

Up front McNulty has to go leaving Clark, Watt and Chalmers with Watson maybe getting some game time.  So a couple of strikers including someone who can hold the ball.

Hopefully we’re already identifying players including a scouting mission to the Scandinavian hinterland.

Carson not meant to be going to St.Mirren 

14 hours ago, captainkev said:

Was that not the same game at Tannadice that one of their defenders also tried to kick Lee Wilkie* off-the-ball even though the ball was nowhere near their box at the time? He ended up missing but the officials caught him, sent him off and gave us a penalty on top.

*I think it was aimed at Wilkie.

Eta: I think it was the game Robson scored a hat trick.

I think that was a different Hearts meltdown! Think that was Ian Brines needing the rules.explained to him and it was Zaliukas sent of in that occasion. That was also very funny!!

4 hours ago, Robin.Hood said:

More rumour than anything but.....

Stephen Robinson confirmed it last week.