The Dundee United Thread 22/23

I know there’s nothing better than a last minute winner, but let’s not be distracted - that was shite again.

That said, for all his critics, Clark is probably our most reliable option up top and he showed that tonight.

Happy with how Watt has fitted in - he might have come as the top goal scorer but he’s got a good all round game unlike much of our squad.

See on balance I think there was a big improvement tonight. Slight change of system that looked to be effective in the first half. 

There's still a lot of room for getting better out the players though, frustrating seeing some options on that aren't taken and play going backwards at times when the ball could be better going inside or forwards. 

3 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I know there’s nothing better than a last minute winner, but let’s not be distracted - that was shite again.

That said, for all his critics, Clark is probably our most reliable option up top and he showed that tonight.

Happy with how Watt has fitted in - he might have come as the top goal scorer but he’s got a good all round game unlike much of our squad.

I think thats a bit harsh.  The first half was a big improvement on the St Mirren game and, whilst County improved themselves after half time, we kept plugging away and went for it.

McNulty was rank again though. 

As I said on the match thread, first half was decent, 2nd wasn't great, with an awful 15 mins between the goals. We got the win though, and tbh, at this stage, that's all that matters.

Historically, 33 points has usually been enough to be safe from relegation, and 37 to be safe from the play-off. We're now on 28 with 16 games left, even at our worst, we should be able to pick up at least 5 from the remaining games. Win the derby, and that should be enough in itself.

To look at it in a more positive way, we're 7th, but only behind 6th on goal difference, and only 4 points off fourth, despite that horrendous run up until tonight.

Obviously, a few quick wins, playing like we did in the first half, and it will be all rosy again!

I continue to find Glass' lack of involvement bizarre. The last time he played he came on as a late sub v Hibs scoring a wonder goal. A goal that involved running at, and driving at a defence - something never seen from the likes of Harkes, Levitt et al.

Since then zero minutes on the park despite being behind for the majority of the game v St. Mirren, an abject 120 minutes v Kilmarnock and trailing to or being level with Ross County until the 91st minute. This with a backdrop of being afforded the luxury of five subs in the St Mirren and RC games, yet still zero game time.

Not saying he's the answer, but our midfield is honking and quite why TC isn't even giving Glass an opportunity to come on as a sub is baffling to me.

Great win tonight, and maybe a slight improvement on the last few matches, but the majority of the second half was woeful.

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

I think thats a bit harsh.  The first half was a big improvement on the St Mirren game and, whilst County improved themselves after half time, we kept plugging away and went for it.

McNulty was rank again though. 

I didn’t see the St Mirren game, so maybe it was an improvement - it was still shite.

Fuchs and Levitt were average at best again and I remain utterly unconvinced that Harkes is a fitba player. He has this weird habit of passing it back to defenders and then instead of giving an option, he just runs away up the park to (imho) hide.

I’m perfectly happy with our goalkeeper(s) and the back four, and if we stick to a 433 system, Watt is making a difference playing in the channels and we have semi-decent options through the middle. 

We need better options than Pawlett and Harkes though and if he’s not prepared to play Glass and Mochrie, we need to bring a couple in. 

Watt looks a great signing and if he keeps up this level of effort for the next 3 years I’ll have no complaints.  We really lack quality around him though.

I also think Butcher should stay at centre back now (maybe as cover for Mulgrew or use when we play 3-5-2).  

Pawlett needs dropped.

10 hours ago, Steven W said:

I continue to find Glass' lack of involvement bizarre. The last time he played he came on as a late sub v Hibs scoring a wonder goal. A goal that involved running at, and driving at a defence - something never seen from the likes of Harkes, Levitt et al.

Since then zero minutes on the park despite being behind for the majority of the game v St. Mirren, an abject 120 minutes v Kilmarnock and trailing to or being level with Ross County until the 91st minute. This with a backdrop of being afforded the luxury of five subs in the St Mirren and RC games, yet still zero game time.

Not saying he's the answer, but our midfield is honking and quite why TC isn't even giving Glass an opportunity to come on as a sub is baffling to me.

Great win tonight, and maybe a slight improvement on the last few matches, but the majority of the second half was woeful.

I agree this is very strange.  Courts seemed to be brought in to bring our conveyor belt of young talent into the team but other than Freeman (who spent most of his learning years at Southampton) he's not given any of them much of a chance and continues to play guys who, if I am being fair, are maybe not always of sufficient quality, consistency or finished, especially in midfield.  The most bizarre thing is when the kids do come up with a good performance they are invariably dropped and then not seen for a few weeks. He even tried to do this to Freeman.  I'm all for resting and rotation, but if a guy has a good game, give him a shirt the next one.  It's mad that we watched youngsters do well at Ibrox and then we've hardly seen any of them since.  Especially when the 'vision' has us selling these boys for £millions.  For me it just smacks of 'we don't know what we are doing'.

2 hours ago, Finn Seemann said:

I agree this is very strange.  Courts seemed to be brought in to bring our conveyor belt of young talent into the team but other than Freeman (who spent most of his learning years at Southampton) he's not given any of them much of a chance and continues to play guys who, if I am being fair, are maybe not always of sufficient quality, consistency or finished, especially in midfield.  The most bizarre thing is when the kids do come up with a good performance they are invariably dropped and then not seen for a few weeks. He even tried to do this to Freeman.  I'm all for resting and rotation, but if a guy has a good game, give him a shirt the next one.  It's mad that we watched youngsters do well at Ibrox and then we've hardly seen any of them since.  Especially when the 'vision' has us selling these boys for £millions.  For me it just smacks of 'we don't know what we are doing'.

A St John's HS performance school graduate spent most of his learning years at Southampton? 

Think you are doing a massive disservice to the United academy there chap. 

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

A St John's HS performance school graduate spent most of his learning years at Southampton? 

Think you are doing a massive disservice to the United academy there chap. 

3.5 years at Southampton from the age of 16.  I think I am right here.  Granted the Johnnies will have contributed, but not sure we can take too much credit.

6 minutes ago, Finn Seemann said:

3.5 years at Southampton from the age of 16.  I think I am right here.  Granted the Johnnies will have contributed, but not sure we can take too much credit.

As an important detail, during his time at Southampton, he was injured quite a bit, and spent a large amount of his development in the treatment room, convalescing and recovering.

Character building no doubt, but I expect the 300 odd minutes he turned out for Southampton's development side over 6 matches won't have given him the same experiences as he gained actively up to the age of 16 in Scotland, then back up here playing 50 plus games with United and loaned out to Peterhead as a 19 year old. 

His 20 international appearances have been as a young United player too.