The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, jagfox BLM said:

He's been on £250,000 a year for the past 3 years in his SFA role tbf...hardly a deprivation imo.

I don't really see how his income level is relevant (and if he had been stacking shelfs in Tesco would that make his application somehow more justified?) - he was stopped from working in the job that (I assume) he wanted to do.  That is a punishment, whatever way you look at it.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Has he?

According to Graham Spiers, who I was quoting and claims to know him well.  If wrong I am more than happy to be corrected.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think you've made some fair points, although you've taken plenty of stick.

I'm not really a fan of the lifetime sentence some people want to give out, particularly for private text messages. 

That was the only point that I was trying to make - and to be honest a few red/downvotes is not going to force me to lose any sleep.

45 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

wee bit more movement with the bookies...

Although ex-players returning to manage us has not worked well in the past, I would absolutely love to see Daly and/or Robson back at Tannadice.

19 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Emailed United's SLO. if others feel the same way I do they should do the same. I'm cynical to how effective it actually will be, but at least I'm doing everything I can.

edit - would've emailed someone involved in the hiring process but obviously their emails aren't public

Prime example. Pussy.

Sand in your vagina over someone who hasn't been appointed. Get a life 😂

8 minutes ago, Wee_Jim said:

Prime example. Pussy.

Careful you don't cut yourself on that edge now 

2 hours ago, Romeo said:

Hasn't McLaren outed himself as a bit if a bampot on several occasions?

Would be a fairly exciting appointment though.

Bampot > Racist, misogynistic anti semite tbf.

Forgetting the £250k a year at the SFA of a second chance, football is a career people from all over aspire to. These managers, rightly or wrongly, are looked at as being powerful and influential people. In fact they very much are.

Malky has been in football his entire adult life, hes worked in Scotland and England and has seen the different people and cultures football contains.

Yet he still thought it OK to send messages on a work phone (ok, for some folk it was only twice) with some stone age views. Hes also recieved multiple texts of similar content and hes clearly kept whatever relationship with said person instead of confronting or reporting them. So hes either decided to let this persons views go unchallenged or hes agreed. Either, for me, are pretty bad choices. Especially bad for a professional manager with a say on people who may be from these backgrounds livelihood and careers.

Hes in his 40s. Hes not 14 or 15. 

He should definitely be given a second chance of a career. In fact, its entirely reasonable. But why does it have to be in football and particularly as a manager? He could forge a different career somewhere else just like alot of people have to when they lose jobs for all sorts of reasons.

There are plenty of average-record managers who be less controversial and alot cheaper too and it would be a tone deaf decision when you look at whats happening in the wider world.

I just cant be arsed with bigoted racist idiots no matter how "minor" people think the offence is. If you are thick enough to slag or judge someone on their colour, sexuality or sex rather than their personality attributes then you should probably be sent to the moon. Or Ibrox. Whatever is cheapest for the tax payer.

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

According to Graham Spiers, who I was quoting and claims to know him well.  If wrong I am more than happy to be corrected.

That was the only point that I was trying to make - and to be honest a few red/downvotes is not going to force me to lose any sleep.

According to Spiers? The same guy who felt sorry for the paedo from Hearts? Some character reference that!

Malky is a cretin.

It saddens me that fellow supporters would want anyone like him anywhere near the club, let alone be the face of it.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I'd have thought it'd be a case of ever decreasing circles. His last gig was a season with QPR and a 19th place finish (he was replaced by Mark Warburton).

Barring a the occasional peak eg: Derby and Twente his career has gone from managing England to a series of short lived gigs where he's been binned out of clubs in a season.

1113086139_ScreenShot2020-06-29at09_22_36.thumb.png.ba519b924784725c463037d4bcb0d1ce.png

It's fair to say that United aren't Celtic but when you look at the rehab job Scottish Fitba' did on Brendan Rodgers there's a chance McClaren is going to look at it as being worth his while to overlook the cash side of things and rebuild his reputation a bit. I suppose that's an easier sell if - as Scott Burns' article suggests - he knows Asghar.

Whilst the jobs get smaller I bet the salaries at Forest, Derby and QPR would be at least comparable to Rangers and Celtic.

QPR have a couple of million quid a year players and Warnock 2qs reported to be on 800k with them back in 2010.

I can't imagine United are paying much over 100-150k (figure pulled from thin air)

47 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

According to Spiers? 

As I’ve already said, this is the key part for me. His mate vouching for him based on a conversations in private isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement when none of Malky’s public statements on the matter have shown any ownership or remorse.

5 hours ago, Wee_Jim said:

Prime example. Pussy.

Raging you've been rejected Malky? calm doon buddy, some no mark league 1 team down south will take you.