The Dundee United Thread 22/23

12 minutes ago, arabdelic said:

So happy Hearts took Neilson off us. A definite upgrade with Micky. 

Micky has already shown he is flexible and will change things match to match if he sees fit, rather than sticking rigidly to the same formation and tactics like the Championship Manager.

Robbie.gif.b8009ef40541496c3b196c7afe926153.gif

It might not actually count for all that much, but its almost weird listening to a manager's post-match interview and being happy with what he's saying.

He just seems to say the right things - that might change of course, but for now it's refreshing.

Got to say, when his name was first floated, I was all Micky who? No thanks.

But the board just might have got this spot on.

11 hours ago, ArabFC said:

It might not actually count for all that much, but its almost weird listening to a manager's post-match interview and being happy with what he's saying.

He just seems to say the right things - that might change of course, but for now it's refreshing.

Got to say, when his name was first floated, I was all Micky who? No thanks.

But the board just might have got this spot on.

You'll likely all take this the wrong way, but hes reminding me of Tommy Wright the more I see of him, and I'm meaning that as a compliment. 

Doesn't seem embarrassed to admit he doesn't have a "philosophy", but will demand maximum effort every time, and is more than happy to jump from set up to set up, and drop players if they dont work, regardless of their profile. No bragging or self promotion in his interviews either.

I think he'll be a success.

You'll likely all take this the wrong way, but hes reminding me of Tommy Wright the more I see of him, and I'm meaning that as a compliment. 

Doesn't seem embarrassed to admit he doesn't have a "philosophy", but will demand maximum effort every time, and is more than happy to jump from set up to set up, and drop players if they dont work, regardless of their profile. No bragging or self promotion in his interviews either.

I don’t think you’d find many United fans put down by the Wright comparison, it definitely is a compliment. Most of us have been craving that kind of management style. Maximum effort, a strong and combative style of football plus a manager who is honest and trustworthy is what we all want.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Three really tough games ahead of us.  Anything we can take from any of them will be a bonus.

^^this is like the lassie at school that pretended she would struggle at exams then got 7 A grades..............

15 minutes ago, Green Day said:

^^this is like the lassie at school that pretended she would struggle at exams then got 7 A grades..............

What a strange analogy.  If at the end of these three games I get awarded 7 A grades I will be delighted.  If we get 4 points I will be even more delighted.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If at the end of these three games I get awarded 7 A grades I will be delighted

No danger - the SQA have downgraded all Dundee schools results 😁

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I know what you mean. It's been so long since we had a manager with a flexible approach rather than a "philosophy". He speaks so well too. I am absolutely delighted with him so far. I think Ann Budge did us a huge favour.

Alot of managers at this level with a "philosophy" are managers that struggle after a while as they end up having to replace players like for like every season which catches up with them. Or jam players unsuited to the formation in because they've no idea how to use a different system.

Usually the excuse is "they try to play the right way no matter what the opposition is" but that translates to "I have no idea how to change things when needed".

Robbie was an absolute philosophy of a manager and Budge definitely did us a huge favour. I still can't believe we got £200k for him.