The Dundee United Thread 22/23

48 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I don't think anyone doubts that Pawlett has the potential/ability to be the best player on the pitch. The problem is that he rarely delivers, either because he isn't fit or because he just can't be arsed, and that is simply not good enough. Agree with IA that a huge part of the problem was Neilson ignoring this and just picking him anyway, but the player has to take responsibility for it too.

If he delivered even half the time he played, I'd probably take the gamble on keeping him, but given it's closer to 10% of the time, I'd have no problem if he stayed in the Championship with Hearts.

This is exactly my point of view too. He's got the ability but not the correct attitude and motivation. 

High wage and not got the minerals. Get him punted back to his pal. 

I would be willing to give Pawlett a few games to see if Mickey can get the extra effort he needs to show on a consistent basis out of him which Neilson could not.

I think that Mellon certainly will not take any one not giving their best lightly and if they dont improve then they will be away.

Wether or not Pawlett is willing to put that effort in remains to be seen though but with a new man in charge it is only right that he is given the opportunity to prove those who doubt him wrong.

3 hours ago, superbigal said:
12 hours ago, ArabFC said:
With McMullan out injured we are woefully short on pacey (wide) players.
I'm one of the few that would keep some faith in Pawlett; he was quite good in the 6-2 gemme emoji57.png

Only game I attended last season at Tannadice and he was the best player on the park. Saying that Butcher was outstanding in that game at centre back. Just shows difference in 1 game to the views of a season ticket holder.

If you'd gone to a second game, the 6-0 home game against Morton, you'd be forgiven for thinking that Pawlett was the best player in the league... sadly a man of extremes - seemingly either the best or (much more frequently) the worst player on the park.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I don't think anyone doubts that Pawlett has the potential/ability to be the best player on the pitch.

He undoubtedly had the potential to be the best player in the league last season but hugely underdelivered - will be interesting to see how he copes in the top tier.  As mentioned above, he was absolutely unplayable in the two league games that we hit teams for 6... but I suspect that might not happen much this season!

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I don't think anyone doubts that Pawlett has the potential/ability to be the best player on the pitch. The problem is that he rarely delivers, either because he isn't fit or because he just can't be arsed, and that is simply not good enough. Agree with IA that a huge part of the problem was Neilson ignoring this and just picking him anyway, but the player has to take responsibility for it too.

If he delivered even half the time he played, I'd probably take the gamble on keeping him, but given it's closer to 10% of the time, I'd have no problem if he stayed in the Championship with Hearts.

(Responding to the bit in bold)

I really don't think it's fair to label Pawlett's poor performances (or the majority of poor performances by footballers) as down to him not being bothered. I think at this point with the amount of injuries he's had (and the amount of times he's played through injuries) there's just a level of caution in his game that doesn't give him the willingness to take risk and the arrogance you need to have the play direct attacking the style he plays.

If he can get over that, then he could be good for us, But I just don't think he'll able to at this point. Some 5th tier team desperately trying to get promoted will probably be his next destination when his United contract is up.

Watched the brief highlights from yesterday. Both teams had some very good chances but a bit of pre-season rustiness to blame I think.

Couple of nice moves involving some of the younger players.

Mellon doing a lot of pressing/overload shouting on the touchline so hopefully that is a sign of things to come.

1 hour ago, Accent-Unknown said:

(Responding to the bit in bold)

I really don't think it's fair to label Pawlett's poor performances (or the majority of poor performances by footballers) as down to him not being bothered. I think at this point with the amount of injuries he's had (and the amount of times he's played through injuries) there's just a level of caution in his game that doesn't give him the willingness to take risk and the arrogance you need to have the play direct attacking the style he plays.

If he can get over that, then he could be good for us, But I just don't think he'll able to at this point. Some 5th tier team desperately trying to get promoted will probably be his next destination when his United contract is up.

I agree with the first paragraph. As I've mentioned earlier, when he first joined he was a a very good addition. He then got injured. Robbie or whoever.feltmit was in United's best interests to hold off an op until after the playoffs. Pawlett then played with painkilling injections and was struggling, clear to see for all. For the team and player's sake he should have been taken out the team and sent for op. Last season, due to the op, his preseason only started as the season kicked off. He had a hand full of decent games, starting to approach "good" and was injured again.

For me, if he is over his injuries, then the enforced break since March can only be a good thing for him and may allow him to (hopefully) show what he did originally.  I do not for one minute think it is an attitude problem just a playing while injured and rushed back problem.

6 hours ago, CaspianChris said:

I would be willing to give Pawlett a few games to see if Mickey can get the extra effort he needs to show on a consistent basis out of him which Neilson could not.

I think that Mellon certainly will not take any one not giving their best lightly and if they dont improve then they will be away.

Wether or not Pawlett is willing to put that effort in remains to be seen though but with a new man in charge it is only right that he is given the opportunity to prove those who doubt him wrong.

TBF, Mcmullan was like a new signing under Robbie, considering that he was on the way out under the Czambles regime.

Mellon might have the same effect on Pawlett. Remains to be seen and looking forward to finding out!

He might have the same effect on Cammy Smith as well, as I always think there has been a player there, just not managed to show it under Nelison.

I mind under Robbie there was an immediate increase in tempo and intensity for the first few games and players who were previously quite pedestrian started to look quite useful. The increased tempo didn't last very long but it's still illustrative of the difference that a manager can make. Opinions might change about some of the current players under Mellon. I'm particularly thinking of Connolly, Reynolds and Butcher, all of whom are defensively sound and none of whom were particularly suited to the slow passing out of from back which Robbie favoured. 

5 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I mind under Robbie there was an immediate increase in tempo and intensity for the first few games and players who were previously quite pedestrian started to look quite useful. The increased tempo didn't last very long but it's still illustrative of the difference that a manager can make. Opinions might change about some of the current players under Mellon. I'm particularly thinking of Connolly, Reynolds and Butcher, all of whom are defensively sound and none of whom were particularly suited to the slow passing out of from back which Robbie favoured. 

We passed the ball slowly out from the back during the Neilson era? I must've missed that!!! 🤨

6 hours ago, ArabFC said:

We passed the ball slowly out from the back during the Neilson era? I must've missed that!!! 🤨

Maybe Reynolds and Connolly classed hoofing it out the park as slow passing. Christ knows what it would have been like if Neilson had asked them to start playing long balls...

57 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Maybe Reynolds and Connolly classed hoofing it out the park as slow passing. Christ knows what it would have been like if Neilson had asked them to start playing long balls...

TBF they were often slow in making a pass, which caused them to hoof it.