The Dundee United Thread 22/23

3 hours ago, stumigoo said:

No reason why Reynolds would lose his club captaincy. I think he, Butcher and Connolly (possibly Clark) are all part of the ‘leadership team’ put together by the squad. I’ve heard Connolly talk about that before, the fact that three or four of them are all in this little group.

Think it was Butcher, Reynolds, Connolly and Powers.

3 hours ago, stumigoo said:

No reason why Reynolds would lose his club captaincy. I think he, Butcher and Connolly (possibly Clark) are all part of the ‘leadership team’ put together by the squad. I’ve heard Connolly talk about that before, the fact that three or four of them are all in this little group.

If Mellon doesn't view him as a regular first team pick, maybe he'll want to choose a captain from among those he believes will be.

Not exactly a revolutionary thought.

Well beat us 1-0 with a Jordan White goal, here's the line ups for the first and second half's 

Dundee United first half: Deniz, Robson, Connolly, Graham, Freeman, Powers, Harkes, Chalmers, Pawlett, Fotheringham, Smith.

Dundee United second half: Deniz, L Smith, Neilson, Sporle, Reynolds, Davidson, King, Mochrie, Clark, Glass, Appere.

No trialist 😭

3 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Well beat us 1-0 with a Jordan White goal, here's the line ups for the first and second half's 

Dundee United first half: Deniz, Robson, Connolly, Graham, Freeman, Powers, Harkes, Chalmers, Pawlett, Fotheringham, Smith.

Dundee United second half: Deniz, L Smith, Neilson, Sporle, Reynolds, Davidson, King, Mochrie, Clark, Glass, Appere.

No trialist 😭

Mellon GTF.

Pawlett anonymous yet again.

On 09/07/2020 at 18:30, ArabFC said:

Personally, I'm in favour of fewer signings than many on this forum, but imho we need at least 3 desperately... CB / CM / LW 

Under normal circumstances, I think we might have needed to improve the squad a lot more - but with COVID our rivals (i.e. those looking to stay up/push towards the top six) do not seem to be signing many/world-beating players so happier to stick with the team that got us here.  And I tend to think that DUFC overlooks its youth team - in the past 4 or 5 years we signed dozens of players that, with hindsight, were no better than the youth players already in situ - Sinima Pongolle etc.

CB has to be the priority - I don't think either of our centre halves are calm/clever enough for the Premiership.  But I like Sporle as a back-up to Appere - when he has come on he has looked energetic and positive and would like to see him get more gametime.  And Butcher will do a job in the Premiership, even if it won't be pretty - so CM would have to be better than Harkes from the off.  That could be expensive.

On 09/07/2020 at 18:53, stumigoo said:

I’m excited to see if Mellon can develop some of our younger players.

Likewise.  A year ago nobody was confident in Louis Appere or Declan Glass - and now I think both are as exciting as anything we have at the club since our relegation.  Here's hoping Graham and Neilson turn out to the new Maldini and Baresi... 

On 10/07/2020 at 17:25, Mark Connolly said:

My namesake reminds me of Garry Kenneth without the restraint. What we'd give for an Andy Webster type in there controlling him the way he did with Kenneth.

Kenneth/Webster was the ideal brawn/brain combination - I would kill to have them back in their primes...

21 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

Under normal circumstances, I think we might have needed to improve the squad a lot more - but with COVID our rivals (i.e. those looking to stay up/push towards the top six) do not seem to be signing many/world-beating players so happier to stick with the team that got us here.  

Worth remembering the other bottom half clubs all started from a stronger base.

If you lose Shankland and can't replace him, your squad would comfortably be one of the weakest in the league, unless you're expecting relatively average (numbers wise) Championship players like Clark, Appere, McMullan, Smith and Robson to all become mid-table Premiership players over the course of one Summer. Even with Shankland your squad doesn't look particularly great in terms of quality, top flight experience or depth.

Just now you only look stronger than a Hamilton side who always look weak, yet always survive.

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth remembering the other bottom half clubs all started from a stronger base.

If you lose Shankland and can't replace him, your squad would comfortably be one of the weakest in the league, unless you're expecting relatively average (numbers wise) Championship players like Clark, Appere, McMullan, Smith and Robson to all become mid-table Premiership players over the course of one Summer. Even with Shankland your squad doesn't look particularly great in terms of quality, top flight experience or depth.

Just now you only look stronger than a Hamilton side who always look weak, yet always survive.

(and now, a post that tempts fate)

This is said about literally every team (except Rangers and the two edinburgh teams) that gets promoted, "you're the weakest in the league" "you're squad's no good enough", "the championship is a shit standard compared to the Premiership". The last team to go straight back down was Dundee in 12-13, and they have the excuse of being club 12 and only have a month to prepare for the league.

Do I think we'll be challenging for 3rd? no of course not, but I don't think we'll be in a relegation dogfight either, honesty I think this season might be pretty dull with us finishing somewhere like 7th or 8th.

7 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

honesty I think this season might be pretty dull with us finishing somewhere like 7th or 8th.

Hibs finished 7th last season, you think your squad is close to theirs?

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hibs finished 7th last season, you think your squad is close to theirs?

Considering they've probably had the best transfer window in the league that's a stupid team to compare us to as they should be challenging for 3rd/4th with their squad. 

4 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

(and now, a post that tempts fate)

This is said about literally every team (except Rangers and the two edinburgh teams) that gets promoted, "you're the weakest in the league" "you're squad's no good enough", "the championship is a shit standard compared to the Premiership". The last team to go straight back down was Dundee in 12-13, and they have the excuse of being club 12 and only have a month to prepare for the league.

Do I think we'll be challenging for 3rd? no of course not, but I don't think we'll be in a relegation dogfight either, honesty I think this season might be pretty dull with us finishing somewhere like 7th or 8th.

13/14 - Partick Thistle finished 10th - 20 signings brought in.

14/15 - Dundee finished 6th - 18 signings brought in.

18/19 - St Mirren finished 11th - 28 signings brought in.

19/20 - Ross County finished 10th - 12 signings brought in.

No club that's won the Championship (Including Rangers & the Edinburgh duo) has ever made the transition from second tier to top tier without radically changing their squad in the time period you've listed. There's a reason for that.

If the football script writers have their way, we will finish 11th next season and then face Hearts in the playoffs.

To be honest I don’t think anyone can predict what each lower end squad is going to be capable of given the bizarre circumstances that a chunk of the season will have to get through (and it could end up being even more bizarre depending on further waves of Covid). Finances and other variables will have a big impact and there is no telling what that might do to individual teams or squads.

We badly need a few additions but I don’t know at what stage we might be at and I would think that the arbitration will have to be decided before we do anything.