The Dundee United Thread 22/23

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The court action specifically asked for the relegation to be reversed, which is why those three clubs were mentioned. They chose to seek their own legal advice as a result, which they were certainly entitled to do, but which I don't think they needed to do.

After losing in court it's less clear to me why they feel they need to have representation at the arbitration. The only key point of difference they had from the SPFL at the court case was that they wanted the case thrown out completely while the SPFL asked for arbitration. With that particular motion failing, it's not clear why they feel the need to carry on with it. Why not just leave it up to the SPFL, who are going to make roughly the same argument anyway?

They had this served on them too. They were specifically named as respondents in the action Hearts lodged with the court.

Edited by Tannadeechee

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think they had to - they chose to because they felt it was in their interests to do so. Most likely the outcome would have been exactly the same last week even if they hadn't bothered.

I think the strategy was to give the Judge a compromise position between 2 extremes, which he gladly selected. No need to buy extra security cameras around the house. The Jambos think he's a top man. :lol:

Edited by welshbairn

I am so unbelievably far behind the whole arbitrary case thing between Hearts/Partick and Utd/Raith/Cove, so I would honestly REALLY appreciate it if someone could explain (in layman's terms) what are the possible outcomes from it? Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This isn't correct. If the Dundee "No" voted had counted then the resolution would have failed to achieve the required proportion of votes from the Championship.

But, as per Companies Act 2006 there was still the balance of the legally mandated 28 days to lodge votes. Only yes votes are required, so no votes are in effect "no vote". As such Dundee did what they, and anyone else.qho voted no, had the right to do and change that, in effect non vote, to a yes.

Where SPFL have screwed up is in having the ability to vote no,.which was unnecessary, but probably done to make sure every club returned as vote.

13 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Is what anyone thinking of handing over a quid of their own money should be asking.

I'm more than happy to buy match tickets and the rest but as long as this is an investment project for one individual they can put their hand in their own pocket for stuff like this.

I have no issue with it at all. The bid went in prior to the action of "those two". None have gone in since.

This bill is 3 clubs, not just United. We have 5500 approx season ticket holder. A tenner from each and that's £55000. That's a huge help, never mind what Raith & Cove fans do.

This is completely unbudgeted for. Doing the above helps out, keeps my club in a better position, helps out 2 others all the while not stuffing our budget to stay in the Premiership and run our academy.

10 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

I have no issue with it at all. The bid went in prior to the action of "those two". None have gone in since.

This bill is 3 clubs, not just United. We have 5500 approx season ticket holder. A tenner from each and that's £55000. That's a huge help, never mind what Raith & Cove fans do.

This is completely unbudgeted for. Doing the above helps out, keeps my club in a better position, helps out 2 others all the while not stuffing our budget to stay in the Premiership and run our academy.

You pay 20 then because I'm not paying.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

Two things - have we actually tabled a bid for Nisbet during this case? Also, are legal costs for a court case we didn't want, didn't plan for and don't need taken into account with regards to the budgets for the playing squad and staffing? 

Honestly, I'm a bit uneasy with the idea of asking fans of other teams to contribute to this fund but I'm of the opinion that the SPFL and possibly other member clubs should be subsidising these costs. After all, although we are the teams who ended up top of our respective leagues, many, many others voted 'against' Hearts/Partick so why shouldn't they contribute?

The costs are also for Cove and Raith too, not just our own, which some seem to be ignoring.

Aren't they already paying to defend your promotion via the SPFL's lawyers? Because at this stage they are basically going to make an identical argument to yours anyway.

1 hour ago, Tannadeechee said:

They had this served on them too. They were specifically named as respondents in the action Hearts lodged with the court.

As far as I can see, they were only specifically named in the sense that what Hearts and Thistle wanted from the court would lead to United, Raith and Cove being denied promotion. They weren't explicitly claiming compensation from those three clubs, or suggesting wrongdoing directly on their behalf. Therefore while the three promoted clubs were within their rights to seek legal representation, I'm not sure that they absolutely had to.

Sorry@craigkillie it won’t let me quote you for some reason on my phone.

I suppose that all SPFL teams will by default be contributing through their membership but it, I assume, will be miles off what these three clubs are putting forward. It’s not an easy one to try and balance, the whole thing has been an absolute mess since day one.

5 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Two things - have we actually tabled a bid for Nisbet during this case? Also, are legal costs for a court case we didn't want, didn't plan for and don't need taken into account with regards to the budgets for the playing squad and staffing? 

Honestly, I'm a bit uneasy with the idea of asking fans of other teams to contribute to this fund but I'm of the opinion that the SPFL and possibly other member clubs should be subsidising these costs. After all, although we are the teams who ended up top of our respective leagues, many, many others voted 'against' Hearts/Partick so why shouldn't they contribute?

The costs are also for Cove and Raith too, not just our own, which some seem to be ignoring.

I highly doubt Cove have agreed to stump up a third of the legal costs, and if arbitration is expected to cost double what the courts did they (and Raith too) will want nothing to do with it other than maybe have their name attached.

Edited by ArabFC

Despite reports suggesting that Forrest and McCulloch were staying I have seen one or two on social media claiming that they have actually gone. Surprised we haven't had any press interviews or photo ops with Mellon yet.

Maybe they could have him holding up a big board with the CrowdFunding details on it? Either that or have Safranko hold the donation sign whilst Mellon held up the United scarf...

57 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Despite reports suggesting that Forrest and McCulloch were staying I have seen one or two on social media claiming that they have actually gone. Surprised we haven't had any press interviews or photo ops with Mellon yet.

Maybe they could have him holding up a big board with the CrowdFunding details on it? Either that or have Safranko hold the donation sign whilst Mellon held up the United scarf...

Think Mellon is being introduced to the press tomorrow United said.

Think Mellon is being introduced to the press tomorrow United said.

Yeah just noticed that after re-reading the website and realising I don’t know the day of the week at the moment, lost track!

I would be hoping for a wee ArabZone thing today but maybe everything will come tomorrow.