The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Looking through the squad I'm deeply concerned that football might start up again soon.

GK - fine 

Defence - probably ok to do a competent job with an organised system

Attack - Shankland, Appere and Clark- absolutely fine.

Midfield- Jesus Christ we are going down again vibes.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

It's surely CB that is the scariest for you? 

I dunno. I see us defending a lot more this season and strangely that worried me less. It's getting Reynolds and Connolly to play football that's a worry. All the same they aren't ideal.

I think the MF is truly garbage. Butcher is a headcase, Harkes is the opposite, I don't know what Powers is and Pawlett must surely be being eyed up by the likes of Kelty. 

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I dunno. I see us defending a lot more this season and strangely that worried me less. It's getting Reynolds and Connolly to play football that's a worry. All the same they aren't ideal.

I think the MF is truly garbage. Butcher is a headcase, Harkes is the opposite, I don't know what Powers is and Pawlett must surely be being eyed up by the likes of Kelty. 

PossibleSevereFoal-small.gif.f1549c34aedabff65daa3f2aba73c3af.gif

8 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I reckon Harkes will be your best midfielder next season. Butcher by name is a liability but could probably do a job at CH ahead of your CH's.

Kelty are currently closing their curtains and unplugging the phone from the wall. 

I think theres a player in Harkes but I worry he's a bit lightweight.

Butcher, if he can rein in the madness a bit, should be ok.

Pawlett regressed with every game he played and McMullan isnt consistent enough. Powers hasn't shown enough to merit being more than emergency backup to Butcher and I'm not entirely sure what an Adam King is.

Our best no 10 is a striker in Clark. So we need at least another winger and attacking midfielder and that's even counting Appere as playing a wide role.

I like Harkes, but he needs the right guy beside him, and I'm not convinced that's Butcher. Equally, I like Butcher, but he needs the right guy beside him, and I'm not sure that's Harkes.

We also definitely need at least one half decent centre half.

It is astonishing that individual member clubs are having to pay the legal costs regarding a decision made by the SPFL.

They aren't having to do anything. The SPFL are already defending the action, which is indirectly a defence of the three promoted clubs. United, Raith and Cove have made their own decision to participate in this case, unsuccessfully so far.

On Harkes, he does have something but I'm not entirely sure what that is. Hes not really got a particular, stand out attribute to allow anyone to say hes a box to box midfielder or a creative player or whatever. He struggled in the hustle and bustle of the Championship and alot of games passed him by but in fairness to him it wasnt as if Neilson played him in a system where he could get on the ball either. 

Butcher is our best centre half. I'd prefer him and Reynolds as Connoly is a bull in a China shop. But ideally a good CH will be a priority to solve that issue.

We lack creativity and pace down the wings too.

Much work for Mellon (or whoever its gonna be).

They aren't having to do anything. The SPFL are already defending the action, which is indirectly a defence of the three promoted clubs. United, Raith and Cove have made their own decision to participate in this case, unsuccessfully so far.

We are backed into a corner now though, we need to defend ourselves again, based on the advice the clubs have received. Withdrawing would be a disaster. My issue comes from the start of all of this and the three clubs being named. Why wasn’t this just a direct case between Hearts and the SPFL (this may well have been answered elsewhere).

We are backed into a corner now though, we need to defend ourselves again, based on the advice the clubs have received. Withdrawing would be a disaster. My issue comes from the start of all of this and the three clubs being named. Why wasn’t this just a direct case between Hearts and the SPFL (this may well have been answered elsewhere).
It's because the outcome of the case would particularly affect the 3 promoted clubs hence they were named as respondents.

United didnt have to get involved but if you don't you're then reliant on the SPFL representing your interests.