The Dundee United Thread 22/23

15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

BvhJ9jKCUAE8gHG.png.6f7893a4cda173ebdee9f202e0d59ba2.png

Offensive messages, no doubt about it.  But my point was that surely a time comes when he has been proportionately and sufficiently punished?

15 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

This seems a pretty reasonable response, to me.  He knows he made a big mistake, and has shown "genuine contrition" to atone for that.  Time to move on (whether that be with DUFC or elsewhere).

15 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Genuinely.

Also getting a bit sick of this “Well, he’s not Hitler” shtick!

God forbid that we should hope that our manager, especially at a time like this is someone to look up to.

And for the muppets who say ‘everyone deserves a second chance’, we’ll he’s getting paid £250k a year by the SFA. Am I meant to feel sympathy for the fcuking cretin?

That's your right, and good on you for standing up for your beliefs.

My choice of phrase was perhaps poor. but my point was that his punishment (i.e. losing the Crystal Palace and being deprived of many jobs after that, as well as having an absolutely toxic reputation follow him for 6 years and counting) was disproportionate to the "crime" committed.

14 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Emailed United's SLO. if others feel the same way I do they should do the same. I'm cynical to how effective it actually will be, but at least I'm doing everything I can.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you say?

43 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

my point was that his punishment (i.e. losing the Crystal Palace and being deprived of many jobs after that, as well as having an absolutely toxic reputation follow him for 6 years and counting) was disproportionate to the "crime" committed.

Out of interest - what do you perceive as the 'proportionate time' a racist, mysoginistic, sexist, homophobic, anti semitic should have to 'suffer' missing out on jobs for due to his own actions? 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Out of interest - what do you perceive as the 'proportionate time' a racist, mysoginistic, sexist, homophobic, anti semitic should have to 'suffer' missing out on jobs for due to his own actions? 

I'm not convinced that two text messages (the list above includes a number of texts that were received by - and not sent by - Mackey), however vulgar or offensive they are, mean that someone is "a racist, misogynistic, sexist, homophobic, anti-Semitic".  If his texts really showed that then The FA or the Courts would have dealt with him accordingly.

Either way, 6 years is a long time to be deprived of the job that he wishes to do.  Even severe crimes are punished with shorter custodial sentences than that...

I'd personally prefer a more left-filed appointment, along the lines of Jens Lehmann or Steve McLaren, but there you go.

Just now, arab_joe said:

Either way, 6 years is a long time to be deprived of the job that he wishes to do.  Even severe crimes are punished with shorter custodial sentences than that...

And they get to walk back in to jobs they want, do they? 

hrhm. I mean there shouldn't really be anything legally restricting him from taking on employment in football, and tbh there's not really anything that he's done that would show up on a Disclosure, but for a whole host of reasons fans could reasonably consider going "yeah nah f**k off, if you employ this man we're not giving you another penny until he goes".

If nothing else there's a huge and real risk of massive reputational damage; all it takes is a wee bottle of wine and someone filming Malky from a smartphone...

He wasn't 15 or 16 when those messages were made, and it displays incredibly poor judgement along with grossly outdated attitudes.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Imagine spending your night white knighting for a racist, homophobic, bigot, and you dont even have the excuse that hes your new manager.

Edited by RandomGuy.

40 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

And they get to walk back in to jobs they want, do they? 

It doesn't seem hugely relevant to the topic at hand, but convicted paedophiles are likely precluded from applying to work in schools; and convicted fraudsters from working in banks etc. but beyond that, punishment is generally restricted to the deprivation of liberty - and following that period of punishment people are actively encouraged to reintegrate with society. 

18 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

hrhm. I mean there shouldn't really be anything legally restricting him from taking on employment in football, and tbh there's not really anything that he's done that would show up on a Disclosure, but for a whole host of reasons fans could reasonably consider going "yeah nah f**k off, if you employ this man we're not giving you another penny until he goes".

You're absolutely right on both counts: and it seems that a fair few fans of DUFC feel so strongly about his conduct that they would boycott Tannadice if we were to employ Mackay.  Which they are perfectly entitled to do (and will likely make his appointment a commercial non-starter).  I'm just uneasy about football fans taking the role of judge, jury and executioner when we have perfectly good systems in place to do that.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Imagine spending your night white knighting for a racist, homophobic, bigot, and you dont even have the excuse that hes your new manager.

Far from it - I'm just uneasy about football fans taking the role of judge, jury and executioner when we have perfectly good systems in place to do that.  If he doesn't get the job because there is someone better qualified to fulfil the role then fine, but if "we" are collectively usurping the Courts and The FA's disciplinary process then I find that a bit of a stretch.

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

I'm not convinced that two text messages (the list above includes a number of texts that were received by - and not sent by - Mackey), however vulgar or offensive they are, mean that someone is "a racist, misogynistic, sexist, homophobic, anti-Semitic".  If his texts really showed that then The FA or the Courts would have dealt with him accordingly.

I'd personally prefer a more left-filed appointment, along the lines of Jens Lehmann or Steve McLaren, but there you go.

He's been on £250,000 a year for the past 3 years in his SFA role tbf...hardly a deprivation imo.

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Offensive messages, no doubt about it.  But my point was that surely a time comes when he has been proportionately and sufficiently punished?

This seems a pretty reasonable response, to me.  He knows he made a big mistake, and has shown "genuine contrition" to atone for that.  Time to move on (whether that be with DUFC or elsewhere).

That's your right, and good on you for standing up for your beliefs.

My choice of phrase was perhaps poor. but my point was that his punishment (i.e. losing the Crystal Palace and being deprived of many jobs after that, as well as having an absolutely toxic reputation follow him for 6 years and counting) was disproportionate to the "crime" committed.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you say?

Has he?

51 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

It doesn't seem hugely relevant to the topic at hand, but convicted paedophiles are likely precluded from applying to work in schools; and convicted fraudsters from working in banks etc. but beyond that, punishment is generally restricted to the deprivation of liberty - and following that period of punishment people are actively encouraged to reintegrate with society. 

You're absolutely right on both counts: and it seems that a fair few fans of DUFC feel so strongly about his conduct that they would boycott Tannadice if we were to employ Mackay.  Which they are perfectly entitled to do (and will likely make his appointment a commercial non-starter).  I'm just uneasy about football fans taking the role of judge, jury and executioner when we have perfectly good systems in place to do that.

Far from it - I'm just uneasy about football fans taking the role of judge, jury and executioner when we have perfectly good systems in place to do that.  If he doesn't get the job because there is someone better qualified to fulfil the role then fine, but if "we" are collectively usurping the Courts and The FA's disciplinary process then I find that a bit of a stretch.

I think you've made some fair points, although you've taken plenty of stick.

I'm not really a fan of the lifetime sentence some people want to give out, particularly for private text messages. 

Ultimately every club (board, fanbase, players) have the right to choose if they're comfortable working with him or not. Personally, I wouldn't want him at Aberdeen because a) I'm pretty sure he's not very good and b) there's a level of noise that now comes with him that is just a distraction. 

That doesn't mean I think he should never manage again.

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Is McLaren  now so rich after various Championship payoffs or so fucked for money that he will manage us?

I can't see us getting near what he would normally be offered for a job.

Mark J might have to offload another petrol station

20 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Is McLaren  now so rich after various Championship payoffs or so fucked for money that he will manage us?

I can't see us getting near what he would normally be offered for a job.

I'd have thought it'd be a case of ever decreasing circles. His last gig was a season with QPR and a 19th place finish (he was replaced by Mark Warburton).

Barring a the occasional peak eg: Derby and Twente his career has gone from managing England to a series of short lived gigs where he's been binned out of clubs in a season.

1113086139_ScreenShot2020-06-29at09_22_36.thumb.png.ba519b924784725c463037d4bcb0d1ce.png

It's fair to say that United aren't Celtic but when you look at the rehab job Scottish Fitba' did on Brendan Rodgers there's a chance McClaren is going to look at it as being worth his while to overlook the cash side of things and rebuild his reputation a bit. I suppose that's an easier sell if - as Scott Burns' article suggests - he knows Asghar.