The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Just now, The Real Saints said:

Pretty impressive, as far as I'm concerned. You can't just judge stats like these in isolation. He finished mid-table at Watford on two consecutive occasions with one of the lowest budgets in the league at the time (possibly the lowest), prompting Cardiff to pay a fee for his services in 2011.  At Cardiff, he reached the League Cup final and won promotion to the Premier League, turning down interest from Norwich City. He took charge of Cardiff in the Premier League but eventually lost his job due to rows over the transfer budget amongst other things. Crystal Palace were interested in his services, but then his racism was exposed and his managerial career was pretty much brought to a premature halt (aside from a controversial spell at Wigan which went badly for him).

Not sure how anybody can claim that he hadn't done pretty well as a manager up until that point.

That is true, but his ONLY decent stat has him backed by Billionaire Tan. 

I agree that stats do not show the state of the.club, budget etc, but to me it looks like he is a success with money, but this "forlock tugging, English league, English League please help us poor Scottish yokels" deifying of some folk because they worked in England gets on my tits. I' m not saying you are taking it that far, but of all the names allegedly interviewed/interested McClaren blows Malky out the water, bit he's a "clown". For me his record IS poor other than Cardiff.

5 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

That is true, but his ONLY decent stat has him backed by Billionaire Tan. 

I agree that stats do not show the state of the.club, budget etc, but to me it looks like he is a success with money, but this "forlock tugging, English league, English League please help us poor Scottish yokels" deifying of some folk because they worked in England gets on my tits. I' m not saying you are taking it that far, but of all the names allegedly interviewed/interested McClaren blows Malky out the water, bit he's a "clown". For me his record IS poor other than Cardiff.

I'd say the mid-table finishes with Watford are just as impressive. Nothing outstanding, but impressive enough. After looking into it further, it seems that he had the lowest budget in the Championship at that stage. Of course, Steve McClaren would be a better candidate in footballing terms. I'm merely writing in response to United supporters on social media who are saying that Mackay has a terrible managerial record. That simply isn't true. But there's no 'deifying' here. If that was the case, I'd be suggesting that Dundee United should forgo their integrity and aim for Mackay. In reality, you shouldn't touch him with a bargepole.

Edited by The Real Saints

15 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

What's happened to Graeme Spiers?  Bad take after bad take these days.

These days?!

EbmVa6AWAAANj-V.thumb.jpeg.0a1257a71e5ef9646fcb09aa25d38b35.jpeg

2 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I'd say the mid-table finishes with Watford are just as impressive. After looking into it further, it seems that he had the lowest budget in the Championship at that stage. Of course, Steve McClaren would be a better candidate in footballing terms. There's no 'deifying' here. If that was the case, I'd be suggesting that Dundee United should forgo their integrity and aim for Mackay. In reality, you shouldn't touch him with a bargepole.

Again it's opinions, we all have them and they aren't always right. 👍

As I said above the "deifying" wasn't directly at you but in general some of the nonsense & talking up of managers.with poor records  that are some how great because of "England". Your opinions just caught a nerve after reading so many about possible names in the frame.

Emailed United's SLO. if others feel the same way I do they should do the same. I'm cynical to how effective it actually will be, but at least I'm doing everything I can.

edit - would've emailed someone involved in the hiring process but obviously their emails aren't public

Edited by Accent-Unknown

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The folk* on BBC Radio Scotland share that opinion.

*Chick Young, Billy Dodds and Liam Macleod.

They all happen to be complet fucking brain donors though. Chick Young in particular. 

Football, especially the media side, is littered with people who will say what their friends want to hear or what they think a clever person may say.

The sweeping majority of ex player managers in Scotland and the wider UK are shite. They've been scooped up at 15 or 16, been sheltered while playing club football and it's all they are ever involved in. They interact with other managers who have been like that before them and they learn the lingo. Get a daft wee A licence from Largs that anyone could probably have a go at and get and the world is their oyster.

There are one or two who are clever enough to go on and do well (Steve Clarke, Alex Neil etc)

There are a few more who have one lucky break and they get job after job because of it till they get found out. These ones tend to luck out with a decent squad and either cant replace the good players as they leave or organise them in a way that works. Or both (Malky, Pressley, Coyle, Lambert). 

Then there are the usual zoomers who take almost any job at and hope for the best (John Hughes, Dodds etc)

These radio pundits have this "if he played fitba then he kens fitba" mentality. Which is shite for the most part - that's why fans,who watch a game and as long as they are sensible, will see the guy has no idea what hes doing. See McNamara for that one in particular.

It's a total lottery who you go for. I'd just prefer the future sacked manager we go for dosent have racist, bigoted, sexist tendencies.

Leave them to Rangers and Celtic.