The Dundee United Thread 22/23

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Other than a bit of speculation prompted by others, there's nothing really wrong with that article.

The prospect of their former manager coming back for striker Lawrence Shankland is infinitely more disturbing.

No, it's not Allan. They don't have £2 or 3 million to spend on anything.

But then it’s not as if he has been working with Neilson for years; their relationship only began 11 months and a lot of goals ago, when Shankland signed from Ayr United. It remains to be seen whether Hearts can access the funds required to lure the striker away from United; one would suggest not in light of what else is going on.

Theres nothing remaining to be seen. Its known they have no money and I'm guessing the transfer fee for Neilson is made up of IOUs and Hula Hoops.

6 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Both Thompson, I believe.

It was always based on rumours, but I'm sure Houston was called it first. 

Unless I missed it, the stuff about Thompson shagging around didn't appear until after the baldy snake nickname had spread from United Mad and stuck with the wider support.

Edited by captainkev

Just now, captainkev said:

It was always based on rumours, but I'm sure Houston was called it first. 

Unless I missed it, the stuff about Thompson shagging around didn't appear after the baldy snake nickname had spread from United Mad  and stuck around the wider support.

This was always my belief too. Glad it's not just me.

Pressley is thicker than a whale omelette but that doesn't take away from the fact that the ownership model is suboptimal.

I don't think it's panic stations yet as Ogren isn't going to cut and run until he has a go at making his money from his investment (hopefully) 

The other side of the coin is that he has no incentive to do anything other than cut and run if it does go too far south.

Harkes - meh. Could do better. We will see how he gets on though, hopefully playing a bit further forward in our new set up with an attacking Jens Lehman / Stephen Glass dream team in the dugout.

2 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Jamie Robson, is he any good guys? Apparently we are being linked with him. 

I can't say I've heard much about him apart from his family are all Killie fans and he's related to Matty Kennedy,  but he's been mentioned on our kickback pages tonight.

Robson has had an up and down time with us. Been here for ages and has gone through very good patches and a very bad patches. Decent enough full back, maybe not quite good enough for a team pushing for Europe but a decent enough player. A middle of the league full back of which the is nothing wrong with.

Cant cross for shit though.

5 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Jamie Robson, is he any good guys? Apparently we are being linked with him. 

I can't say I've heard much about him apart from his family are all Killie fans and he's related to Matty Kennedy,  but he's been mentioned on our kickback pages tonight.

He is a decent prospect IMO.

He has had a few off field antics to answer for, and is decent enough as a  modern day attacking full back, albeit has rarely been tested against top flight opposition.

I think he has dramatically improved defensively and also from an attitude and maturity perspective, over the last year or so, and has increased his work rate and effort, to the extent that i’d be happy if he stayed at Tannadice for the coming season as an option for Left Back, but ideally as competition, as opposed to the main option.

Hope this answers your question.

£3m and he’s your’s though.😃

41 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Pressley is thicker than a whale omelette but that doesn't take away from the fact that the ownership model is suboptimal.

I don't think it's panic stations yet as Ogren isn't going to cut and run until he has a go at making his money from his investment (hopefully) 

The other side of the coin is that he has no incentive to do anything other than cut and run if it does go too far south.

The ownership model we have will always be risky. Rich sugar daddy can lose interest at any time.

I think if we hit the ground running and are kicking about the middle of the league with no real relegation fears (ideally) then I think he'll gladly chuck more money in the push for top 6. If not and we are rectally twitching in 10th/11th or 12th it may be a different story.

22 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

And the year before. And before that. 

Listen though, there's "underlying reasons". The main one being, they're spending way more than they're making (much like a lot of Scottish clubs).. but they have 'underlying reasons' for it. 

That might well be the main underlying reason...

12 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

There is absolutely no doubt that Pressley is of the "thicker than f**k" ilk and shouldnt be allowed near any device that records or broadcasts his opinion. There are far too many people that listen to him, and other refused and refunded brain donors, and assume that as they are on radio or TV they are in the know. It's obvious why he cant find a club that fits his "needs".

What was almost worse than Pressley was that Levein, who youd expect would be slightly more mentally astute than Elvis the pillock, seemed to agree with everything Pressley said about our club and we have people who still want him as manager. I loved what he did for the club first time round and I'll alway have a soft spot for him first time round but hes not the manager he once was and even if he was, I'm not so sure hes the manager we need now.

I'd prefer the Baldy Shagger as manager over him.

Sorry, I'm not available...

19 hours ago, MacArab said:

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that we are completely at the mercy of Mark Ogren and his commitment to the club, and were he to pull his support, it would be beyond disastrous.

I know it has been discussed on here many times over the past 18 months, but does anyone know yet how rich the Ogren family really are?   

13 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Steven Pressley's analysis seemed to be that Hearts are in a good position financially because they have wealthy benefactors but he fears for Dundee United because they made a loss last year which was because of a rich benefactor putting money in.

Pressley's assertion was that Hearts are flying high financially because their players all took pay cuts a month or two before the rest of the league.  Like those saved wages have somehow more than covered any drop in revenues caused by relegation... and yet the BBC were keen to air it, and deemed it good enough for addition to the podcast.

13 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Not only that, he said the losses probably meant that United would mothball their academy...

Is there any evidence whatsoever that we are contemplating anything of the sort?  Or was this just him thinking aloud of how we could cut our losses?  Either way, another very odd thing for him to come out with.

12 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Is Pressley thick or just a narcissistic w**k?

Definitely both.

12 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

He suggests fans are worried Hearts will buy Shankland.

I think 99% of Arabs are resigned to the fact that Shankland will leave the club in the not-too-distant future, but to Hearts?  In the second tier?  Surely only if every English Championship (and League One, Scottish Premiership etc.) club goes to the wall...

7 hours ago, MacArab said:

I think he has dramatically improved defensively and also from an attitude and maturity perspective, over the last year or so, and has increased his work rate and effort, to the extent that i’d be happy if he stayed at Tannadice for the coming season as an option for Left Back, but ideally as competition, as opposed to the main option.

Shankland excepted, Robson was as good as anyone in the squad for the first 3 or 4 months of the season.  There were rumours that English clubs were looking at him in January, with good reason - he stepped up hugely.  During our terrible run post-Christmas he was far less effective, but I would still say he has as much potential as anyone in the squad (perhaps with the exception of Benji, who I rate far higher than I likely should).

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

I know it has been discussed on here many times over the past 18 months, but does anyone know yet how rich the Ogren family really are?   

Pressley's assertion was that Hearts are flying high financially because their players all took pay cuts a month or two before the rest of the league.  Like those saved wages have somehow more than covered any drop in revenues caused by relegation... and yet the BBC were keen to air it, and deemed it good enough for addition to the podcast.

Is there any evidence whatsoever that we are contemplating anything of the sort?  Or was this just him thinking aloud of how we could cut our losses?  Either way, another very odd thing for him to come out with.

Definitely both.

I think 99% of Arabs are resigned to the fact that Shankland will leave the club in the not-too-distant future, but to Hearts?  In the second tier?  Surely only if every English Championship (and League One, Scottish Premiership etc.) club goes to the wall...

Shankland excepted, Robson was as good as anyone in the squad for the first 3 or 4 months of the season.  There were rumours that English clubs were looking at him in January, with good reason - he stepped up hugely.  During our terrible run post-Christmas he was far less effective, but I would still say he has as much potential as anyone in the squad (perhaps with the exception of Benji, who I rate far higher than I likely should).

100%. In fact its essential that we do sell him when the time is right. Just...Hearts? In any tier? Lol. Where are they ever getting that sort of money? And why would he go to a team like that who, while a bigger club, could only ever offer similar to us in terms of finishing third and getting one European tie every blue moon and the odd cup run? 

He'll either be off to the gruesome twosome (more likely the zombies but they are financially bonkers too) or more likely the English Championship. 

4 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

He'll either be off to the gruesome twosome (more likely the zombies but they are financially bonkers too) or more likely the English Championship. 

Here's hoping an English Championship side - I would hate to see him on the bench of either of the OldFirm...

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

The Ogrens are fairly wealthy, not off the charts rich but comfortable enough. 

Thanks for clarifying - with insight like that you'll be called up to BBC Sportsound in no time!

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

Here's hoping an English Championship side - I would hate to see him on the bench of either of the OldFirm...

Thanks for clarifying - with insight like that you'll be called up to BBC Sportsound in no time!

I cba going into all the details I know but aye what they've dropped so far into the club is pocket change for them in terms of overall investment. 

He put his money from his petrol stations into decent stocks and other oil and gas portfolios 😂

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

I cba going into all the details I know but aye what they've dropped so far into the club is pocket change for them in terms of overall investment. 

He put his money from his petrol stations into decent stocks and other oil and gas portfolios 😂

Ball park figure? 

£100,000,000? 

£200,000,000?

£500,000,000?

Or enough to impress Steven Pressley?

6 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Ball park figure? 

£100,000,000? 

£200,000,000?

£500,000,000?

Or enough to impress Steven Pressley?

The sale of the oil company and its retail stores was $200 million plus. Ogren had several lucrative contracts and a whole load of smaller ones for supply deals etc. 

There was over 10 retail shops sold to a different company from the one that bought the oil supply but dunno if that's including in the figure. 

Obviously he's got other investments too, I'm sure he still owns a big mall in Florida?