The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 minute ago, ArabFC said:

Stopped really paying attention after the some utter bellend thought it would be a cunning idea to replace Fuchs with Connolly.

That is all.

I've supported Mellon and liked the guy but for f**k sake, that was an absolute fucking howling decision.

Someone give him another shake please.

17 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I have the fear again

For us to finish 11th, two of the three bottom teams need to win four games before the end of the season to be clear of us. Wed also have to lose every single game. And Well and the Fermers would have to leapfrog us too in the process, which isn't the most unlikely thing in the grand scheme.

I think we're going to be OK.

582179108_tenor(8).gif.d3df5f5217c5c8c0ab0ef2b8ee23b092.gif

57 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I've supported Mellon and liked the guy but for f**k sake, that was an absolute fucking howling decision.

Someone give him another shake please.

Powers was throwing himself to the ground every time Fuchs got within spitting distance of him and that fanny referee was buying it every time. Only a matter of time before he got sent off. The fact that Mellon chose to change formation to compensate for it says a lot about his faith in the other midfield options in the squad.

Just now, mishtergrolsch said:

For us to finish 11th, two of the three bottom teams need to win four games before the end of the season to be clear of us. Wed also have to lose every single game. And Well and the Fermers would have to leapfrog us too in the process, which isn't the most unlikely thing in the grand scheme.

I think we're going to be OK.

582179108_tenor(8).gif.d3df5f5217c5c8c0ab0ef2b8ee23b092.gif

I support Dundee United and Scotland.

I reserve the right to aim low, thus never being disappointed, and often pleasantly surprised.

43 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Powers was throwing himself to the ground every time Fuchs got within spitting distance of him and that fanny referee was buying it every time. Only a matter of time before he got sent off. The fact that Mellon chose to change formation to compensate for it says a lot about his faith in the other midfield options in the squad.

I get why he took Fuchs off, not debating that for a second. 

But changing the whole shape for Connolly wasn't, imo, a very good idea.

It just further highlights how poor recruitment has been if the best option is changing the shape to chuck a donkey like Connoly on.

Im a fan of Mellon and hes done a good job so far. I'm probably being harsh on him but I'd rather he did almost anything than bring Connolly on because the boy gies me the fucking fear.

15 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Wasnt/isnt Lewis Neilson a centre midfielder turned defender? A big lad who we couldve maybe stuck in the middle of the park to throw his weight about

We should have signed big Kovacevic for the game to boot Lafferty up the arse again.

Could have been a victory for Scottish football.

33 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Wasnt/isnt Lewis Neilson a centre midfielder turned defender? A big lad who we couldve maybe stuck in the middle of the park to throw his weight about

He was a disaster the last couple of games he played.  Not fair on the lad to put him in that position; he needs to learn more first.

Connolly must go in the summer and he’s not the only one.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

He was a disaster the last couple of games he played.  Not fair on the lad to put him in that position; he needs to learn more first.

2 year extension wasn't it?

Sigh.

3 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I get why he took Fuchs off, not debating that for a second. 

But changing the whole shape for Connolly wasn't, imo, a very good idea.

It just further highlights how poor recruitment has been if the best option is changing the shape to chuck a donkey like Connoly on.

Im a fan of Mellon and hes done a good job so far. I'm probably being harsh on him but I'd rather he did almost anything than bring Connolly on because the boy gies me the fucking fear.

Mellon obviously forgot how bad Connolly was in the last game we played there.

32 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

🤮🤯😭😖😤

32552C3E-01C6-42DF-8F06-C577A68C0B7E.jpeg

I thought Mellon was a decent appointment for you guys and hes done well with an average squad, but i thought he'd take the opportunity in the summer to empty the duds. Any time we play you I always hope Connelly is playing as he's guaranteed to gift at least two chances a match. 

We'd be in the championship if it wasnt for him.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I thought Mellon was a decent appointment for you guys and hes done well with an average squad, but i thought he'd take the opportunity in the summer to empty the duds. Any time we play you I always hope Connelly is playing as he's guaranteed to gift at least two chances a match. 

We'd be in the championship if it wasnt for him.

Cut to the chase, the guy is a fecking dumpling. Great news for all. 

🤣🤣🇾🇪

12 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Stopped really paying attention after some utter bellend thought it would be a cunning idea to replace Fuchs with Connolly.

That is all.

As it was happening, I could see so clearly that it would be the turning point of the match - but even I didn't realise just what a swing that would be.  We were lucky to escape with a point.  Very disappointing to think that Mellon would not try out something a bit more inventive - i.e. bring Luke Bolton on, or Florent Hoti, or basically anyone except Connolly.  Christ, I would have been happier to see Shankland drop into centre-mid and bring Nicky Clark on up top.  Literally anything.

12 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I still think the guy has, overall, done a great job in difficult times.  But yesterday was a really disappointing, self-inflicted loss of two points at a point in the season where we really should be putting everything into getting into the top 6.  I know that he is cautious, and that has generally worked well, but we are well on course to stay up and were a goal up against a team that has not won a game since 9 January and has not scored since 30 January - going to 5 at the back was embarrassing.

10 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

If Connolly is a better option in centre-mid than Hoti then Hoti must be absolutely atrocious...

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

There's no chance we will find anyone willing to take him off our hands - he is too old, too well paid, too bad at football.  We are stuck with him until 2023.

7 hours ago, Aladdin said:

Thought Edwards had another decent game. After a shaky start he's now looking our best centre half.

Edwards was excellent yesterday.  He has been outstanding since his return from injury.  He is our best centre-half by some distance - it is just a pity that the other two duds are signed up for so long (I cannot believe we gave Connolly an extension and that we gave Reynolds such a long contract at his age - having anyone signed up until they're 35 is a massive gamble) so he has virtually no chance of a decent pairing next season.  I also thought that Liam Smith and Benji were good, so there is the backbone of a quality defence...

With regards to the top 6 run-in, yesterday ended any feint hope - St Mirren now 4 points and 10 goals better than us, with Celtic and Aberdeen next up - so we need two wins and St Mirren to pick up a maximum of 1 point.  It isn't happening.  Makes the Connolly substitution even more frustrating.