The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 minute ago, Steven W said:

Can't say I'm too bothered to see him go. But a little concerned that there's something going on in the background at United (no idea what). We seem to have let him go very easily

Suppose it depends entirely on compensation.

Dundee United Football Club tonight announce that Head Coach Robbie Neilson will leave the club to join Heart of Midlothian FC.

Earlier today, the Club rejected an approach by Hearts to speak to Robbie; however, at his insistence, the approach was subsequently accepted with compensation agreed between the Club and Hearts. Robbie has agreed terms with Hearts and will leave the club with immediate effect.

Dundee United Sporting Director Tony Asghar said: “I can confirm that I was called today by Ann Budge seeking permission to speak with Robbie Neilson to become Hearts' new Head Coach. 

“This was turned down, however, after lengthy discussions with Robbie he made it clear he wished to speak with them. As a result of this, the contractual termination clause has been met and Robbie will leave the Club. 

“As Head Coach, he led the team to a play-off final before achieving promotion with a Championship title this season and I would like to thank him for his contribution. 

“Gordon Forest and Lee McCulloch will continue leading our pre-season preparations ahead of the Scottish Premiership restart and we will look to appoint a new Head Coach as soon as possible.”

Dundee United Chairman Mark J. Ogren said: “Although we are understandably disappointed, we at Dundee United Football Club are bigger than one person and we will continue to work towards our long-term plan with our staff and players and, of course, our loyal supporters. 

“Robbie played a huge role in our journey so far, however, we now look towards the future, with a new leader and renewed hope for our fans.”

17 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Its not ironic, its factual.

For Dundee Utd it was a short term necessity to get out the Championship, and they will sell Shankland at some point for a lot of cash.

For hearts it is endemic, spending cash you dont actually generate is your USP, its why you went into admin.

Uhuh, and what you fail to mention is that the FoH/benefactor money have gone almost entirely (if not entirely) towards a £20m turnover-increasing infrastructure project and a £3m fee require to facilitate a fan takeover of the club - not player wages.

Secondly, the FOH money is money that the club generates. You'd just rather we didn't have it.

I think that fairly succinctly sums up why you're wrong and we're well off topic here, so this is my last post on the subject.

Scott Burns eh?

Just now, Sir Peh McBridie said:

Well...um..shit?

Tommy Wright please.

He won't be going anywhere until the NI job is filled.

Telling quote from Neilson: 

"I hope the United fans feel that together we managed to restore the club back to where it belongs."

probably not what his new employers want to hear.

9 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Dundee United Chairman Mark J. Ogren said: “Although we are understandably disappointed, we at Dundee United Football Club are bigger than one person and we will continue to work towards our long-term plan with our staff and players and, of course, our loyal supporters. 

Don't like this. Has the owner always been referred to as Mark J. Ogren?

Bit too Trumpish for my liking.

Oh, bye Robbie.

Edited by captainkev

Just now, Sir Peh McBridie said:

Did he not tell us to f*** off before come to think of it?

He strung you along to get a better deal with Saints.

I'd say the chances of him joining United just now are slim. He left us due to stress and wanting to spend time with his family, and its likely he'd only walk away from that for the NI job, which has been his career goal.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Supposedly Montrose have been asked for permission to talk to Stewart Petrie. 

Does everybody work on a Sunday?! 

This will sound sarcastic but I'm not intending it, but is this from your ITK network?

I thought he seemed a decent shout for us, but the step up from where hes at, to a full time top flight side, seems pretty huge.

Edited by RandomGuy.