The Dundee United Thread 22/23

What are people’s thoughts on the loan players we have, keep for rest of season or bin now if possible?

Bolton showed early promise but has been a disappointment though in his defence switching between right mid and wingback has done him no favours. With no McMullan he is one of the few options we have to play wide when we switch to 4-4-2. 
McNulty has shown flashes of being a quality player and has more pace than any of the other forwards we have but he is not the type of striker we need with our current style of play and if we could replace him with a decent target man I think it should be considered. Also last 2 games have saw him booked for deliberately kicking the ball away after play has been stopped, given his history these are very stupid bookings to pick up and hopefully the reason for them is nothing more than frustration/stupidity. 

33 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

What are people’s thoughts on the loan players we have, keep for rest of season or bin now if possible?

Bolton showed early promise but has been a disappointment though in his defence switching between right mid and wingback has done him no favours. With no McMullan he is one of the few options we have to play wide when we switch to 4-4-2. 
McNulty has shown flashes of being a quality player and has more pace than any of the other forwards we have but he is not the type of striker we need with our current style of play and if we could replace him with a decent target man I think it should be considered. Also last 2 games have saw him booked for deliberately kicking the ball away after play has been stopped, given his history these are very stupid bookings to pick up and hopefully the reason for them is nothing more than frustration/stupidity. 

I think McNulty is decent and we should keep him to the end of the season. 

Bolton is average, if we can get a winger thats capable of a cross then I'd not worry about him going. He is versatile but we need better to progress.

41 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

McNulty's excellent and Bolton was probably our best player at the start of the season although the current system doesn't suit him. I don't think it would make any sense to ditch either of them.

18 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

McNulty's excellent and Bolton was probably our best player at the start of the season although the current system doesn't suit him. I don't think it would make any sense to ditch either of them.

Bolton was at no point our best player. At the start of the season Jamie Robson, for example,  was playing better on the opposite flank.

If Bolton was available for free and for a reasonable wage, I might be inclined to sign him, but I have no earthly idea how he is still on the books of Man City at the age of 21.

McNulty defo worth hanging onto.

I like Mcnulty, very clever player and one i would keep until his loan is up. Bolton started off well but has failed to live up to expectation and should be punted back down the road with our young loanees all back at the club now. Id rather take a punt on one of them than have him sitting on the bench not contributing

45 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Bolton was at no point our best player. At the start of the season Jamie Robson, for example,  was playing better on the opposite flank.

If Bolton was available for free and for a reasonable wage, I might be inclined to sign him, but I have no earthly idea how he is still on the books of Man City at the age of 21.

McNulty defo worth hanging onto.

Clubs like that throw contracts about like sweeties incase the young player ends up being worth millions.

Willo was a Man City player at that age too remember. Ronnie O'brien (remember him?) played for Juventus ffs.

Means nothing. Just filler players for the academy.

Bolton is a bottom 6 Scottish Premiership player, reasonably solid and certainly nothing spectacular. At 21 he can certainly improve but we should be looking for better imo.

22 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Clubs like that throw contracts about like sweeties incase the young player ends up being worth millions.

Willo was a Man City player at that age too remember. Ronnie O'brien (remember him?) played for Juventus ffs.

Means nothing. Just filler players for the academy.

Bolton is a bottom 6 Scottish Premiership player, reasonably solid and certainly nothing spectacular. At 21 he can certainly improve but we should be looking for better imo.

a) Man City were a very different club back then

b) Willo was a good player

That aside, Bolton apparently made the Man City Champions League squad, which is just WTF?!

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/luke-bolton-manchester-city-wiki-15169371

56 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

That aside, Bolton apparently made the Man City Champions League squad, which is just WTF?!

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/luke-bolton-manchester-city-wiki-15169371

Presumably he was in as one of the "club-trained" players to meet that rule.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Based on his performances I’d like to see Sporle getting more game time.

I've got to say, I'm not really in the Sporle fan club. He's ok, but that's about it.

I'd play him more on the basis that I'd play 442 more and he's probably the best fit there, but with 3 at the back Robson is well ahead and 433 I'd prob play McNulty and Appere wide left before him.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

I've got to say, I'm not really in the Sporle fan club. He's ok, but that's about it.

I'd play him more on the basis that I'd play 442 more and he's probably the best fit there, but with 3 at the back Robson is well ahead and 433 I'd prob play McNulty and Appere wide left before him.

It’s certainly in a 4-4-2 that I see his role.

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Forgot that was before they were artificially bloated beyond comprehension. Fair enough.

Still, you get the point. These mega clubs sign up all these 15/16 year old kids that have any sort of talent, give the 5 year deals on wages our club couldnt dream of matching and about 0.5% will go on to make it. Or pinch them off clubs for pennies when they are breaking through. Scott Banks and Kieran Freeman for example.