The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Agree with most of what has been said about today. A decent battling defensive performance that offers nothing for Shankland to feed on. I honestly can't remember the last chance he had.

Unfortunately Harkes isn't going to cut it. Hopefully Mochrie will be one to step into the attacking midfield role but I'd be a bit wary about pinning our hopes on a boy that only turned 17 earlier this year.

I feel a bit sorry for Harkes, this is a step too far for him. He’s obviously a decent guy who, in brief spells early after joining United, showed some reasonable potential but he has reached his limit.

He was a big part of the 6-2 win, and it’s always nice to see someone settle into Dundee as a city, but as a footballer this is a level beyond his abilities. He’s a ghost on the pitch. Doesn’t enjoy physical battles, can’t maintain possession and he seems unable to shoot or create chances in the final third.

Early in the season he seemed to be playing quite high up the park and it always felt like he was more comfortable trying to be a final third linking player but as time has gone on his passing and shooting have regressed badly. In a team that is clearly focusing on defensive solidity he just can’t cope trying to play a bit deeper and having the responsibility of dictating possession. He would probably benefit from the kind of move that Stanton had. Playing in America at a tier below the MLS is probably about his level.

We absolutely need a player to be able to control possession. The kind of player Fyvie was before injuries ruined him would make a big difference to us (and a playmaker would be ideal)

Today was okay. First 45 we fought quite well and at times we looked neat and tidy trying to hold the ball up. After the break it was just a training game for Rangers, given how deep we sat and how tired we looked.

Edit - although I said it was a training game, it has to be said that we kept our shape and defended very well for the most part.

4 hours ago, third lanark said:

Is there any further word about Declan Glass recovery? Would love to have seen him play for Partick Thistle which clearly won’t be happening now, but for the sake of the lad himself who seems to be a real talent and full of potential, I hope he recovers fully and makes it at United 👍

Sure I read he was doing light exercise and has been at the training along with team mates prior to the Covid isolation period.

I'm surprised people are surprised Harkes can't cut it at this level. Made very little impact for the majority of last season at the level below.

Just not cut out for this level.

Happy we never got gubbed but had The Rangers turned up needing 5 goals they would have easily got them. They never needed to get out of 2nd gear.

We shouldn't be too worried about this result though, we need to beat the poorer teams in this league.

We won’t pursue the Morelos thing, we are soft as shite. 
It's not for us to pursue. The compliance officer will probably look at it, and Morelos may or may not get a three game ban. I don't really care as banning him for three games isn't going to help Dundee United in any shape or form.

3 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Is the rule still that the incident is deemed to have been dealt with if the referee takes action?

Anyway, whatever. 

Don't think so, as a Hibs player was banned by the compliance officer a few years ago after having been booked, when it was argued he should have seen red.

I agree we should have nothing to do with trying to get Morelos banned, but his action in arriving very late with his arm on Connolly, and the incident in the first 30 seconds when he arrived late with a niggle on the touchline, has been defended by some due to his picking up a career threatening injury* in the Ibrox match in a episode with Ryan Edwards.

On that occasion, was he not yet again arriving late for the ball, as is his habit?

*played and scored two in a match five days later.

Don't think so, as a Hibs player was banned by the compliance officer a few years ago after having been booked, when it was argued he should have seen red.
I agree we should have nothing to do with trying to get Morelos banned, but his action in arriving very late with his arm on Connolly, and the incident in the first 30 seconds when he arrived late with a niggle on the touchline, has been defended by some due to his picking up a career threatening injury* in the Ibrox match in a episode with Ryan Edwards.
On that occasion, was he not yet again arriving late for the ball, as is his habit?

*played and scored two in a match five days later.
I forgot about that challenge on Morelos in the game at Ibrox. It makes me think the daft twat did what he did yesterday intending some kind of retribution but went for the wrong player.

10 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
21 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:
We won’t pursue the Morelos thing, we are soft as shite. 

I don't really care as banning him for three games isn't going to help Dundee United in any shape or form.

It would be funny though, and that's the most important thing.

Just now, eez-eh said:

What’s the script with Shankland lads? Is he hampered by Mellons tactics or is he just not adapting to the step up? Is he still carrying the injury from earlier in the season?

It's a combination of Mellon's tactics, an injury which kept him out for weeks and a few knocks on international duty.

Still has some class touches when he gets the ball but it invariably breaks down due to lack of support from his team-mates.

55 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

It's a combination of Mellon's tactics, an injury which kept him out for weeks and a few knocks on international duty.

Still has some class touches when he gets the ball but it invariably breaks down due to lack of support from his team-mates.

What he said.

Fix the tactics and he'll come good.

Shankland is lucky if he gets one chance a game - not a good chance or half-decent chance, one say like McNulty putting him at an angle he's never gonna score from.

Tbh, if I was him I'd be angling for a move in January - if he stays here, he won't be going to the Euros.

Edited by ArabFC