The Dundee United Thread 22/23

35 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's Sam Stanton like? He's on trial with us.

I don't know what he is.

One of these Stuart Duff characters who aren't bad or anything but I couldn't tell you a strength particularly. From memeory got more goals than our current midfielders although that's not saying much.

Do you need someone who can functionally fill a jersey without looking like he has won a prize. He's your man 

15 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Do you need someone who can functionally fill a jersey without looking like he has won a prize. 

I mean, considering our team, yeah...

Think he's just training at the club anyhow, news over there reporting him as returning next season.

I'd say Stanton's a good Championship level player. Makes good driving runs from midfield and scores his share of goals. Good technique, good brain, not as soft as he looks (although still quite soft). Very rarely fully fit though and you can expect him to keep the physio occupied most weeks.  

49 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Disappointed for him his American adventure wouldn't appear to have worked out

I mean they didn't seem bad at all tbf. Won their conference and qualified for the Championship Final before it was cancelled due to COVID. Sounds like he made a good impression over there too

Sure though, it would've been more enjoyable though if there wasn't a worldwide pandemic and having to deal with the city more or less being mired in chaos for a week while Trumpers tried to 'stop the steal', I grant you.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

18 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I mean they didn't seem bad at all tbf. Won their conference and qualified for the Championship Final before it was cancelled due to COVID. Sounds like he made a good impression over there too.

A very brief, chucked together, look at him v the CMs in his league last season, since I've got this all open and fancy fucking about.

Stanton.thumb.png.a91a42122012a72fcab469dc3010b75b.png

Percentile ranked. So only 5% of the CMs in the league scored more goals per90, for example.

Involved 106 CMs.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A very brief, chucked together, look at him v the CMs in his league last season, since I've got this all open and fancy fucking about.

Stanton.thumb.png.a91a42122012a72fcab469dc3010b75b.png

Percentile ranked. So only 5% of the CMs in the league scored more goals per90, for example.

Involved 106 CMs.

He also scored one more goal than the statisically counted 3, but it was taken away as the game was abandoned due to the opponents walking off after a Rising player alleged used a racial slur. Apologies for cluttering the thread lads, I'll stop there.

18 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I mean, considering our team, yeah...

Think he's just training at the club anyhow, news over there reporting him as returning next season.

Stanton is a good Championship level player. Hell make direct runs at defenders and draw fouls in good areas. Will score the odd goal too. Handy player. Hes not a sitting midfielder like Neilson thought he was so we didn't get the best out of him.

I read you have Mcmullan on your radar. Hes amazing. You should sign him now, not on a pre contract. Pace, power, directness and crossing like you've never seen before.

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Stanton had the odd moment when he looked like a very good player - they were very odd moments though.

Are Dundee in need of a centre-back?

It would be quicker to list what we don't need. It would be a very short list. 

From the BBC match stats for each league game so far:

Shots

Shots on target

St Johnstone (H)

Motherwell (A)

Hibernian (H)

Ross County (A)

Celtic(H)

Kilmarnock (A)

Rangers (A)

St. Mirren (H)

Hamilton Ac. (A)