The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Thought it was a better watch than our last 3 0-0’s but we’re still not creating much. Sporle will hopefully keep his place, he at least tries to beat his man now and again.  Not sure about Fuchs, think he’ll need a few games to get going.  Defence mostly decent.  

Penalties decent apart from Connolly who we all knew would balloon it over the bar.

Anyway, assume 8 points won’t be enough so we’re probably out?

Watched the match tonight. I thought that Fuchs looks like a player who has been brought to the club on a doctored You Tube video. McMullen was excellent at getting the ball and running with it, but unfortunately he has absolutely nothing after that. I enjoyed the match though, mainly because of the multitude of errors throughout the game.

Edited by kingjoey

After last night’s performance both McMullan and Sporle should be starting our next game.  Ideally in a 4-4-2 but even if we keep the same formation.

Pawlett shouldn’t be anywhere near the team based on recent performances.

13 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Watched the match tonight. I thought that Fuchs looks like a player who has been brought to the club on a doctored You Tube video. McMullen was excellent at getting the ball and running with it, but unfortunately he has absolutely nothing after that. I enjoyed the match though, mainly because of the multitude of errors throughout the game.

Fuchs defo needs a few games to get upto match speed, but I'm cautiously optimistic on first showing that he will develop into a good player for us.

People criticising Mark Connolly for taking a penalty can piss off. Maybe only five players volunteered, of which he was one. You have no idea. At least he had the balls to take one, as abysmal a penalty as it was.

Anyway. It was a bit of an improvement last night, despite the scoreline. McMullan and Sporle made a difference. There was intent, but a woeful lack of quality. I liked the look of Fuchs, but he was nowhere near fit. The damage was not done last night.

Speaks volumes that penalties three and four were taken by centre halfs. Seems the recent goal drought is affecting the confidence of those expected to chip in with at least some goals over the course of the season

It worked out in the end, and it all honesty it doesn't exactly matter that much, but I thought it bizarre to leave our main penalty taker as number five. Usually he goes first, in an effort to get 'one-on-the-board"

6 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Your backup keeper (based only on last night to be fair) looks as good as, or better than, most starting keepers in this league. 

If you can get decent money for Siegrist I'd take it now tbh.

I think that scenario is highly likely. Just a question of January or the summer.

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

People criticising Mark Connolly for taking a penalty can piss off. Maybe only five players volunteered, of which he was one. You have no idea. At least he had the balls to take one, as abysmal a penalty as it was.

I'm not criticising Connolly. I'm criticising the walloper who thought it was a good idea to let him.

Mattered fcuk all last night, but would you be quite so calm about it if it was a meaningful game?

If Smith, Bolton, Appere or even Butcher didn't fancy their chances ahead of Connolly, that's a worry.

41 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Your backup keeper (based only on last night to be fair) looks as good as, or better than, most starting keepers in this league. 

If you can get decent money for Siegrist I'd take it now tbh.

He's decent, but not at the same level.

If it was a cup final, I would be quite tempted to sub him on at the 119' minute mark though.

Nah Connolly taking a pen was crass stupidity. What made it even more worse is that he had before that had a very decent game, one of his best in his time at the club (and that's saying something). 

He's really shot himself in the foot by blootering it the way he did. Glad I switched off before the pens were taken. 

He's a professional football player. If they don't have the ability or belief to hit the target in an empty stadium during a glorified friendly then they really shouldn't be getting paid to be a professional player. 

I'd be questioning the players not taking them way before the ones who did. 

Why has Mehmet never had a chance with you lot? I get that Siegrist is superior - but did he not have a terrible start after you signed him and Rajkovic (?) I know that he also had an injury at one point, but 6 appearances in 3 year and you released him for a bit for him to play for QotS?

Wish we had your luck with quality keepers as of late!

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why has Mehmet never had a chance with you lot? I get that Siegrist is superior - but did he not have a terrible start after you signed him and Rajkovic (?) I know that he also had an injury at one point, but 6 appearances in 3 year and you released him for a bit for him to play for QotS?

Think Mehmet was injured when we had Rakovan.  Siegrist took a bit of time to settle in and gain confidence - we tried both  at the start of the season they were signed.  Rakovan was utter shite.

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Anyway. It was a bit of an improvement last night, despite the scoreline. McMullan and Sporle made a difference. There was intent, but a woeful lack of quality. I liked the look of Fuchs, but he was nowhere near fit. The damage was not done last night.

If you ever need brain surgery I’ll volunteer to do it.

20 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

9 month out injured after performing a forward roll 

#lad

21 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Think Mehmet was injured when we had Rakovan.  Siegrist took a bit of time to settle in and gain confidence - we tried both  at the start of the season they were signed.  Rakovan was utter shite.

He was initially the first choice out of the two, was he not?