The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Posting that there's been no improvement in the team and players and blaming Asghar is bizarre. I doubt he's signing players without the agreement of Mellon, and previously Neilson.

Off the top of my head, and leaving aside Shankland and the two most recent signings McNulty and Fuchs.

Butcher is better than Barton
Reynolds is better than Edjenguélé
Pawlett is better than Loemba
Liam Smith is better than Murdoch
Sporle is better than Booth
Bolton is better than Billy King

all of which are changes under the new regime. Plus United are sitting a league higher than when the Ogrens and Asghar came in. In December 2018 we were 3rd in the lower table, behind Ross County and Ayr United.

2101084915_Ogrentakeovertable.jpg.341418f7abc8c650cea2c5e6f8258782.jpg

I have my suspicions and worries about the owners, and TA, but recognise that changes for the better have been made. I also acknowledge that, like other clubs, our preparations for the season, and ongoing running of the club, have been badly affected by Covid. In addition, the Hearts court case and change of management team have been extra impediments, although I was happy to see the back of Neilson.

The problem here is that you've got folk with no real knowledge or experience of a job critiquing someone else's performance without knowing what they do on a day to day basis. There are objective measures available (improvement in the squad, promotion, elite academy status) but really they don't know whether the guy in charge of the sporting department really contributed to those achievements and so they go with their instinct and suggest he's a fat *** chancer instead.

He might be but that seems a little unfair to me without something concrete to base it upon. 

"He's not qualified and so he must be shite"; "yeah, well even if he is qualified, he's shite and so the qualification must be bogus ".

"He's not brought in better players"; "well, yeah they're obviously  better but they should be even better still".

I make no claim either way about Asghar's ability or character but some of these criticisms are weak as f**k.

I have a question.

If Ogren says he was budgeting on a reduced number of fans being allowed in by now, what sort of crazy abacus or calculator does he have?!

A reduced number would mean season ticket holders only, so there would be absolutely zero additional income in that scenario. In fact there would be a small loss due to an increase in the number of stewards required.

So what does he mean when he says he budgeted on a reduced number of fans being allowed in by now? Where does he think this generates a single penny extra than the current situation of no fans in grounds?

P.S. You lads took an absolute battering on Sportsound earlier. Tom English seems to have dislike you quite a lot for some reason. He has zero credibility mind, so I'm doubt anyone cares about his pish these days.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I have a question.

If Ogren says he was budgeting on a reduced number of fans being allowed in by now, what sort of crazy abacus or calculator does he have?!

A reduced number would mean season ticket holders only, so there would be absolutely zero additional income in that scenario. In fact there would be a small loss due to an increase in the number of stewards required.

So what does he mean when he says he budgeted on a reduced number of fans being allowed in by now? Where does he think this generates a single penny extra than the current situation of no fans in grounds?

P.S. You lads took an absolute battering on Sportsound earlier. Tom English seems to have dislike you quite a lot for some reason. He has zero credibility mind, so I'm doubt anyone cares about his pish these days.

Tom English ffs, an Irish rugby pundit who has now become the voice of Scottish football for some reason.  Made a complete tit of himself all summer over the Hearts relegation and still spouting nonsense now it would seem. 

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Hospitality/food and drink. 

Even saying 3000 of the season ticket holders spend a tenner in the ground at a match, and that's being conservative, there's 30k a match in revenue. That adds up over a season. 

But with reduced capacity there would be little to no catering facilities.

And £30k per match sounds rather fanciful. What are the normal figures for that sort of thing like?

Tom English ffs, an Irish rugby pundit who has now become the voice of Scottish football for some reason.  Made a complete tit of himself all summer over the Hearts relegation and still spouting nonsense now it would seem. 
Tom English crywanks himself to sleep every night about how UNFAIR it all is that Dundee United are in the Premiership rather than his beloved Jambos.

Never mind that we have won as many games by Halloween this season that the JTs won in the entirety of last season...

43 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

But with reduced capacity there would be little to no catering facilities.

And £30k per match sounds rather fanciful. What are the normal figures for that sort of thing like?

Clubs, not just United, were lobbying for hospitality sections to be opened on the same basis that restaurants and bars had been reopened after the Spring lockdown. Tie that in with a stated* 40% of United's income being generated by hospitality in normal times.

I think it was a reasonable request to ask for limited hospitality, but it was refused. 

*stated by Asghar on Sportsound at the weekend.

6 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Surprised to see the financial experts have all disappeared since Saturday afternoon.

Did something happen?

Yes, we’ve had confirmation of a successful insurance claim. Are you still only paying your good players?

3 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Hospitality/food and drink. 

Even saying 3000 of the season ticket holders spend a tenner in the ground at a match, and that's being conservative, there's 30k a match in revenue. That adds up over a season. 

I don't think I have ever spent a tenner inside the ground 

Couple of pies and bovrils/hot drink is about 8 quid. 

Families getting hotdogs/burgers and a drink. All adds up. 

Fair enough it's maybe not as much as I posted but that along with hospitality would definitely be a decent enough revenue stream for any club. 

Otherwise they simply wouldn't provide these faculties within the stadiums would they. 

If you go down at the start of half time and there are 10-15 people in front of you you are lucky to get served before the game restarts. I would be amazed if 200 people get served in the ETL each game.

Nobody is suggesting it isn't an income stream. Just not a 600k per year one.

I would suggest if the club made 1k a game profit it would still be worth doing.

Has there been any word guys about how long Declan Glass is going to be out for?

i realise unfortunately he won’t now be coming to us, as was really looking forward to him playing, but clearly it’s very gutting for the player and of course Dundee United.  Can only hope he makes a full recovery soon and achieves his potential as there’s definitely a very talented player there

I mean, St Johnstone are still selling pies etc., so its a bit bizarre United fans seem to be claiming they've been magically done out of £30k and there's nothing Ashgar can do about it.