The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Is this one of the reasons why things, from the outside, not to be running smoothly?
Very happy to be proved wrong, but while I have seen very good things done, there has been quite a few things that seem to have slipped.
Oh for the days when you knew nothing of what went on, and watched a game of football!

I think it was raised at the last DUSG meeting. I know they had a discussion about the perceived lack of communication from the club.

9 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I think it was raised at the last DUSG meeting. I know they had a discussion about the perceived lack of communication from the club.

Cheers, hopefully see some improvements there soon, acknowledging an issue is halfway to fixing it.

3 hours ago, Yenitit said:

Total head in sand stuff by all dabs bar pretty muchTannadeeche. 

Everyone’s favourite dab Mr Mark Connolly has possibly posted a comment worth bookmarking about 4 posts back that might be worth bookmarking....

You mean my comment on Fifespud's approach to complaining to his club?

If you want a serious answer, it's worrying that we are still haemoragging money, and even more so if we hadn't planned any contingency for fans not being back in. It's also not surprising that you lot want to have some point and laugh fun after the stick we've given you over the years.

Happy?

2 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

Oh for the days when you knew nothing of what went on, and watched a game of football!

Agree, but at the same time it's wise to keep a keen watch on what happens behind the scenes. FWIW, I don't see the issues some supporters seem to have with Tony Asghar. He's brought a structured, sporting business approach to the club, which was generally working to plan until coronavirus became the major influence on our lives.

His radio interview today rejected some of the tales made up by social and mainstream media regarding the workings of the club. I fully understand opposing supporters trying to cause disharmony, but United fans don't have to pay attention to them.

33 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Agree, but at the same time it's wise to keep a keen watch on what happens behind the scenes. FWIW, I don't see the issues some supporters seem to have with Tony Asghar. He's brought a structured, sporting business approach to the club, which was generally working to plan until coronavirus became the major influence on our lives.

His radio interview today rejected some of the tales made up by social and mainstream media regarding the workings of the club. I fully understand opposing supporters trying to cause disharmony, but United fans don't have to pay attention to them.

I agree there is a lot of guff said about Asghar and I don't subscribe to it. My fear was based on, what it appears from the outside, as some of the good work on the business side.being slightly undone as there was no specific leader for that. Add in, again from looking in from outside, that Tony Asghar seemed to be taking a more non Sporting Director role. 

It looks like, from @stumigoo that this hasn't been the case, but a collective effort. My views have been shaped from the public showing of Tony being the go to guy for interviews and comment, even about non on field issues. This may be because he is comfortable in front of the camera or just in general happy to be the face of things?

Was this interview on Sportsound? Might have to go to podcast and take a listen.

We're not the first to take this action, and I doubt we'll be the last either.

1 minute ago, Tannadeechee said:

Was this interview on Sportsound? Might have to go to podcast and take a listen.

It was on today's Sportsound, around 2:30pm

2 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

It looks like, from @stumigoo that this hasn't been the case, but a collective effort. My views have been shaped from the public showing of Tony being the go to guy for interviews and comment, even about non on field issues. This may be because he is comfortable in front of the camera or just in general happy to be the face of things?.

This article back in June briefly outlined the admin. restructure: 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/1353284/dundee-united-tony-asghar-mark-scott-ogren/

It looks like our budgeting has been way off. The smart thing would have been to plan for no gate money until the spring, if at all.

Other clubs have had to ask players to take pay cuts - no issue with that given the circumstances but there is no way we should have been signing anyone if this was on the cards. We may have been pretty brutal at times this season but everyone's in the same boat and there's worse teams in the division than us and I believe we would have had enough to survive.

I don't know him at all, but the whole Ashgar thing to me is bizarre.

He's an ex-cop, who is now sporting director of our club, basically by virtue of convincing a wealthy yank to invest in us.

Someone said earlier he's done well in the gig, but what is that based on? Our signings? The contracts we've handed out? The staff he's hired? Which includes, conveniently his son.

Maybe he's born to do the role - I dunno - but this recent shitshow perhaps suggests otherwise.

23 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Other clubs have had to ask players to take pay cuts

Honest question - which clubs?

I know Hearts and Dundee did, and certainly other clubs seem to have been letting non-playing staff go or putting them on furlough. Think there might have been some pay deferrals (Aberdeen?). Are they the only ones so far? 

31 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Don't want to read as a cheerleader for Asghar, or Tony himself, but he didn't jump from being an ex-cop to becoming involved in United. But even if that was the direct move he'd made, perhaps fans have forgotten who the wealthy yank replaced.

Possibly due to the frustration the support suffered under young Thompson, there is suspicion of anyone behind the scenes at the club. Asghar was on real Rangers' books as a young lad, and maybe is unfairly tagged as a hun because of that.

Couldn't give a f**k who he supported as a lad.

I do care HOW he got the job  but even if I didn't his record is dismal 

2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Honest question - which clubs?

I know Hearts and Dundee did, and certainly other clubs seem to have been letting non-playing staff go or putting them on furlough. Think there might have been some pay deferrals (Aberdeen?). Are they the only ones so far? 

Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee I know of.

14 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I don't know him at all, but the whole Ashgar thing to me is bizarre.

He's an ex-cop, who is now sporting director of our club, basically by virtue of convincing a wealthy yank to invest in us.

Someone said earlier he's done well in the gig, but what is that based on? Our signings? The contracts we've handed out? The staff he's hired? Which includes, conveniently his son.

Maybe he's born to do the role - I dunno - but this recent shitshow perhaps suggests otherwise.

I am in agreement.

Don't forget he was a wholesome and trustworthy football agent too. But in fairness, he's also done a Masters on Football Manager or something so he's clearly qualified to hold such a critical role in the club, even with no experience. 

Outside of Shankland he's not brought in one single player that id say has improved the team which is ultimately his most important role.

Some amount of pish getting posted just now. I don't know what would be considered as the optimal route to becoming a sports director but experience as an agent and a Masters degree in the subject seems as legitimate as any other. More so than the usual former player/coach route. 

I don’t know much about it (and I admittedly never listen to Sportsound), but apparently we do have a certain type of insurance claim on the go related to the current situation? Obviously Dundee have one, and it is looking like a positive outcome based on reports, but this is the first I’ve ever heard that we might have something along the same lines?

A few mentioned it on Twitter as being something talked about on Sportsound and I’ve also just seen a quote taken from a newspaper article about Asghar and the cost-cutting.

“We have to look at football in general, we need some sort of injection and support. 

“Whether that’s Government or through an insurance claim we are fighting hard on."

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Some amount of pish getting posted just now. I don't know what would be considered as the optimal route to becoming a sports director but experience as an agent and a Masters degree in the subject seems as legitimate as any other. More so than the usual former player/coach route. 

Looking at the imbalance between outgoings and the quality of player we have, id suggest strongly that this so called Masters is either being delivered by the Clown College and its not worth the paper its written on or Tonys been bunking his lectures. 

The ex manager / coach route is not perfect but someone who has in depth knowledge and experience of how a football club works behind the scenes would be more suited. Not trusting some bloke who's used to bleeding players and clubs dry with no real managerial understanding to run the sporting side of a club. Just a wheeler dealer salesman with a silver tongue.

Would someone with a Masters in any other walk of life stroll into a Directors role at a multi million pound business with no real prior experience in the industry?

5 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Outside of Shankland he's not brought in one single player that id say has improved the team which is ultimately his most important role.

Think yourself lucky, when we had Terry Butcher, he has some wee fat guy (Steve Marsella) that was supposed to be a wizard at scouting english lower league pish that would walk it up here..............and we know how that ended for us !!

Och, we need to moan at someone, and given we are 5th in the league, it can't really be at the players or the manager, so let's moan at *spins tombola* the sporting director!