The Dundee United Thread 22/23

8 hours ago, locheedee said:

He seems to think it is anyway from his interviews. 

It might even be plausible if you have a conveyor belt of talent to sell - but relying on young players to not just move for free all while burning through large wedges of cash on over priced 'stars' sounds very like Peter and Jimmy's strategy (& they at least had the excuse of not expecting the Bosman ruling...)

So the Marrs, upon buying Dundee in 1997, and starting to sign guys like Caniggia circa 2000, have the excuse of not expecting the Bosnian ruling? The Bosnian ruling that came into effect in 1995? 

Now me making that point may seem like petty point scoring and deflection. And it is. But it also clearly exposes the fact that anything you say needs to be taken with a significant portion of salt. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

3 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

So the Marrs, upon buying Dundee in 1997, and starting to sign guys like Caniggia circa 2000, have the excuse of not expecting the Bosnian ruling? The Bosnian ruling that came into effect in 1995? 

Now me making that point may seem like petty point scoring and deflection. And it is. But it also clearly exposes the fact that anything you say needs to be taken with a significant portion of salt. 

I will concede that point, I was young at the time so have obvs got my facts wrong with the 'Bosnian' ruling. I'll even let your double typo slide coz I'm feeling generous and your obvs hurting enough.

The rest of what I've said has currently been covered widely in a number of media sources though, including interviews with your own owner and chairman so doubt it if you like but it's readily available to you if you care to look.

I will concede that point, I was young at the time so have obvs got my facts wrong with the 'Bosnian' ruling. I'll even let your double typo slide coz I'm feeling generous and your obvs hurting enough.
The rest of what I've said has currently been covered widely in a number of media sources though, including interviews with your own owner and chairman so doubt it if you like but it's readily available to you if you care to look.
It wasn't anything to do with Bosman. The Marrs somewhat hilariously believed they could bring in a load of journeymen then punt them for a profit to the English Lower League teams who were swimming in cash from the ITV Digital deal. This collapsed and fucked the "strategy" which was utter nonsense in the first place, especially when Jocky had us relatively stable as a mid-lower SPL side, playing effective if less than attractive football.

36 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
3 hours ago, locheedee said:

It wasn't anything to do with Bosman. The Marrs somewhat hilariously believed they could bring in a load of journeymen then punt them for a profit to the English Lower League teams who were swimming in cash from the ITV Digital deal. This collapsed and fucked the "strategy" which was utter nonsense in the first place, especially when Jocky had us relatively stable as a mid-lower SPL side, playing effective if less than attractive football.

Knew the strategy was based on punting on random players for profit but don't realise it was the itv deal collapse that caught them out and got it in my head it was the law change around contracts. 

Some of the players were amazing to have at Dens but given the shit we've been through since, I wonder how things would have gone if we'd stuck with Jocky...

The strategy sounds remarkably similar to Ogrens. Would be a real shame if they went the same way only because of overpaying dross like McNulty rather than Cannigia.

17 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

A very reasonable explanation..... BUT it was blatantly obvious to most that very few fans, if any, would be attending matches prior to Christmas (at the very earliest).  Realistically there will be no large scale attendance by fans this season.  If any fans are allowed back they would mainly, if not all, be season ticket holders, therefore increased costs but not that much extra income (other than hospitality).  

Also, given some of the other teams in the top flight, United are realistically safe from relegation or a play off spot.  Should you have cashed in the £3M plus United fans were talking about for Shankland?

Genuinely not trying to wind you up.  You seem an intelligent individual and I’m simply interested in your take on the above two points.

I agree wholeheartedly that the club should not have been budgeting for fans back in October, or if they were, they had a completely thought out budgeted plan for "Plan B".

Difficult to say, cashing in on Shankland might have been seen as giving up and accepting potential relegation or at least the board not wanting to be seen as repeating the mistakes of previous regime (Armstrong & GMS).

The other side of things is IF he had had a decent start to the season, (or as he did.when he came back from injury), or the requirement to build confidence that was shattered by two 4-0 defeats and defend for 90 minutes had not been needed and we'd given him the odd pass 20 yards from goal, more chances brings premiership goals then potential bigger price  in January or so, may have been the thinking.

I think personally a big issue for the club was Mal Brannigan's leaving. Although he potentially screwed the relationship with the Ogren's and the DUSF, he had been responsible for good work previous to that. He also had a decent track record at other clubs and far better at the day to day running of a club (budgets etc) than Tony Asghar who has fallen into that role as well.

Edited by Tannadeechee

39 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Not been in here for a while. Is it worth going back a few pages for decent entertainment value?

Total head in sand stuff by all dabs bar pretty muchTannadeeche. 

Everyone’s favourite dab Mr Mark Connolly has possibly posted a comment worth bookmarking about 4 posts back that might be worth bookmarking....

14 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Is it not Derek Bond who has the role of directing budgets at Tannadice? Derek, not James.

Got a point there. But Asghar seems to have taken on Mal Brannigan's role as well. I may be wrong in that, but it is what it appears at the moment. I'm not sure that's for the best. Asghar seems fine when sticking to his sporting director role, but there has been a few things not operating at their "optimum" that would have been under Brannigan's remit.

Got a point there. But Asghar seems to have taken on Mal Brannigan's role as well. I may be wrong in that, but it is what it appears at the moment. I'm not sure that's for the best. Asghar seems fine when sticking to his sporting director role, but there has been a few things not operating at their "optimum" that would have been under Brannigan's remit.

Laura McCallum, who was brought in as the club’s sports lawyer, is also now part of this team of senior staff who all seem to be doing a bit of everything in the absence of a dedicated Managing Director.

43 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Laura McCallum, who was brought in as the club’s sports lawyer, is also now part of this team of senior staff who all seem to be doing a bit of everything in the absence of a dedicated Managing Director.

Is this one of the reasons why things, from the outside, not to be running smoothly?

Very happy to be proved wrong, but while I have seen very good things done, there has been quite a few things that seem to have slipped.

Oh for the days when you knew nothing of what went on, and watched a game of football!