The Dundee United Thread 22/23

14 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Yep.

image.png.ace21bf9fcec33920f056be22b927df1.png

Holy f**k. That's a shocking level of incompetence particularly after they've just signed Fuchs and McNulty who won't be taking home minimum wage.

23 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

United lost 3m in the previous year? emoji33.png

Yes. It was gone over in great detail at the time. Lots of reasons for it, it was until June 2019, entire first team, near enough, brought in in the January, near identical numbers of players.leftnin July 2019 not.imcluded.in the accounts. Lots of money invested in stadium repairs, project brave etc that were one offs that would have seen  a big change  and was budgeted for. Until the "plague" hit and fucked the budgeting.

Back to the current news, IF and it's a big if the story is correct on the wages being payed, what the actual f**k are we doing paying 5K a week to McNulty? Heads should role for that, never mind during the middle of a fan less pandemic.  We are all (United fans at least!!) in agreement we want to improve the team and solidify our place in the Premiership come the end of the season, but it HAS to be done sustainably. It is more important to have a club, than have it endangered via recklessness. Who ever sanctioned paying £5000 a week with no match day revenue at a club the size of United needs their intelligence questioned. Just reeks of McInnes again. 

Then knowing that it was heading this way and then signing 2 players on what is believed 5k and 3K a week, and Edwards when the 3 of them don't have to drop, isn't going to do any good to team morale or togetherness. 

31 minutes ago, G51 said:

Jesus. That's unbelievable.

Especially considering anyone with a brain has been fully aware it'll likely only be season ticket holders getting to games this season, since about April time.

How much income was he expecting to get from pie sales every second week?

If the squad and Mellon need to take a wage cut then ill be fucking livid if Asghar doesn't. He's the one who's sanctioned of all these high paying contracts and under him we've had an overpaid squad that's massively underperformed over the piece. I've never been convinced he's up to the job and I expect the Ogrens will be grilling him severely for this, if true.

And if we're paying McNulty 5 grand a week and Edwards a fair bit more than Connolly and Reynolds we deserve a Rangers style humiliating liquidation.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Especially considering anyone with a brain has been fully aware it'll likely only be season ticket holders getting to games this season, since about April time.

How much income was he expecting to get from pie sales every second week?

He alone would have us competing with Celtic if he actually paid for pies.

52 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

United lost 3m in the previous year? emoji33.png

Wait until next season, much like Motherwell they've promised every season ticket holder a free season ticket for next season if they don't get to any games this season.

How do you budget for a season of only PATG customers at the level they're spending at?

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I am shocked at this!!!!

Weren't Utd spunking money left n right while in the championship?

Aye. Their wage bill last season was 133% of their turnover.

You start creeping into financial insecurity the moment you go over 60% (Rangers are seen as living hand to mouth at 76%).

Its fine though. An American with no emotional ties to the club is just going to endlessly fund them.

I think the context of this is important. All clubs are struggling. Many clubs have been involved in a process like this. To be signing the likes of Mark McNulty & Fuchs on a reported 5k per week as little as 1-3 weeks ago and an absolute haddy like Ryan Edwards on a supposed 3k per week is absolutely fucking horrendous mismanagement that's up there with Rangers, Livi & Dundee levels of ridiculousness.

Edited by Ludo*1

Motherwell have been making some redundancies and cost cutting despite taking in an extra £600k for finishing 3rd in league, £750k for run in Europe. Those are before bonuses and expenses. But also circa £4m+ on transfers in 2020.

My point is we could see this clusterfuck coming. I expect that those Well fans that have bought season tickets (as per Random Guy) will be offer3d the option to have a discounted season ticket or not. We have sold 4000 season tickets. I would expect that 50% would waive any rebate / refund. I will buy again next season and not expect a rebate / discount. I accept I can afford to whilst others cannot. Be interesting to see what United were planning with season ticket holders for next season ? 

Back to the Arabs. If those wages being quoted are in any way accurate then seriously WTF. How does someone sanction that when a matter of weeks later they need to make drastic cuts to the wage bill. That is business suicide and fairly incompetent to boot. Almost as if that person making those decisions did not know the financial status of the club. Just bizarre.....

Edited by welldaft

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Loop Trump GIF

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I think the context of this is important. All clubs are struggling. Many clubs have been involved in a process like this. To be signing the likes of Mark McNulty & Fuchs on a reported 5k per week as little as 1-3 weeks ago and an absolute haddy like Ryan Edwards on a supposed 3k per week is absolutely fucking horrendous mismanagement that's up there with Rangers, Livi & Dundee levels of ridiculousness.

Players will quite rightly feel disgruntled at being asked to take a wage cut if those ridiculous wage figures for new signings are true.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I would expect Dundee fans to come along and have a good troll, but I can't disagree with a word of this.

Weren't we negotiating a fee that would have been at least a couple hundred thousand for Safranko a few weeks ago?

They even splashed out on giving Connolly a 3 year contract extension not so long ago.

Madness!

4 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Loop Trump GIF

Sorry you're right, the 133% wages to turnover was before you made Shankland one of the highest paid players outside the OF, while in the second tier.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You start creeping into financial insecurity the moment you go over 60% (Rangers are seen as living hand to mouth at 76%).

Its fine though. An American with no emotional ties to the club is just going to endlessly fund them.

It wasn't 133% of turnover last season. Again this has been explained countless times.

The last set of accounts showed that. That was for season 2018/2019. 11 first team players were signed in the January of that season along with additional youth coaches and Project Brave staff. Those accounts were up to June 2019

July 2019 11 first team squad players left the club, 3 first team players (I think it was just 3) signed. Even including Shankland there was a biggish drop in wages. Not huge I grant you, but big. Powers joined in January 2020. Wage bill for last season should be lower (unless someone somewhere has seriously fucked up).

IF COVID had not happened, there would be no issue as the losses shown in last year's accounts for the previous to that season, were on a par with what we had been told and would have shown an improvement over last and this season. That has been fucked now.

My concern is the intelligence of signing a player on 5k a week, nevermind the current, no match day income, for a club of United's size.

With regards to season tickets, I bought mine with no refund required or expected. I bought mine as away to support the club and help its continued existence. I suspect. I won't be alone in that. Next season will be no different.

We seem to be doing 2 and a bit months into the season, exactly what Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts and Dundee amongst others did during the summer after what looks like expecting to ride it out until fans were allowed back in