The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, captainkev said:

Just missed it. What was the score?

I would like to ask the same question. Would the Dundee fans who give us the goings on at Tannadice so regularly kindly let us in on what happened during their match this evening?

Thank You.

25 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I would like to ask the same question. Would the Dundee fans who give us the goings on at Tannadice so regularly kindly let us in on what happened during their match this evening?

Thank You.

To try and bring it to a United fans level of understanding - Imagine having Paul Jarvie in the goal with Mark Connolly doing what Mark Connolly does best, but every 5 minutes opposed to once or twice a game. Then imagine having Paul Hegarty as your manager (Minus the legendary playing career for you).

That about sums it up.

Johnnies (A)
Cunty (H)
Maureens (A)
Hackies (H)
Livi (A)

We have a great opportunity to pick up a decent amount of points before Sevco visit Tannadice.

Hoping to see Mcnulty and Shankland strike up a good partnership in the coming weeks.

It’s all about results.

In retrospect, pish performance today, but decent backs’ to the wall point against a clearly better team.

We were far better 4-4-2 IMO, and if Smith gets back to full fitness soon, we can get back to using Bolton where he looks far more effective.

Midfield is powderpuff, and am looking forward to seeing the Fuchs’ Effect*

At the start of the season, if someone offered me anywhere in the top 6 after the first round of games, I’d have bitten their arm off for it.

P2BAA

* If he is fucking garbage, thIs phrase has nothing to do with MacArab

Edited by MacArab

This top 6 pish is very misleading. 5 points off bottom with 2 wins in the last 9 league games. This next 4 fixtures could be crucial and we go into them playing like fuckin Lochee United, not Dundre United. Something needs to change and quickly. Im not one for wishing injuries on players but a few went off with them today. Is that what its going to do for MM to change the team for the obvious better? Rather than make changes everyone is begging for, hes forced into them by injuries?

10 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

A vital point today. You can pretty much define our season with the next four fixtures. St Johnstone, Ross County, St Maureen and Hamilton. Win three out of four and we’re coasting for the rest of the season.

One game at a time please 

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Not really keeping up with our fixtures this year but given the write up I presume we were playing Juventus or Bayern Munich and not a team who got bodied at home from Motherwell.

Screenshot_20201017-175647_Chrome.jpg

Yeah but we got played out of the park by Peterhead.

10 hours ago, Twinkle said:

This top 6 pish is very misleading. 5 points off bottom with 2 wins in the last 9 league games. This next 4 fixtures could be crucial and we go into them playing like fuckin Lochee United, not Dundre United. Something needs to change and quickly. Im not one for wishing injuries on players but a few went off with them today. Is that what its going to do for MM to change the team for the obvious better? Rather than make changes everyone is begging for, hes forced into them by injuries?

This 'change the team' patter is intriguing. How?

I think most folk, by now, realise that our real problem positions are CB and CM. How do we change that though?

Unless Fuchs turns out to be a cracking player (pray for Fuchs) then what alternatives do we have to Butcher and Harkes?

Folk say Butcher is slow, but Powers makes him look like speedy gonzalez. Or pick Adam King (lol). Then, other than Pawlett (lol) there is no other option than Harkes because we sent all our promising young midfielders out on loan.

And at the back, I see some folk saying drop Butcher in there, as if he'll be a huge upgrade - I don't see it, and then you've removed an option from our already limited choices in midfield.

In fact look at the squad...

Forwards: Shankland, McNulty, Clark, Smith.C - Can any other team outside the OF really claim to have much better options here?

Wide Players: Bolton, Chalmers, McMullan, Sporle, Appere - We could have done with another option on the left (Conway anyone?), but it's not bad!

Full backs: Robson and Smith.L - Solid dependable top six standard fullbacks for me.

Goalkeepers: Siegrist and Deniz - As good as yer gonna get outside the OF.

Midfield: Butcher, Harkes, Powers, King - Jesus Christ!

Defenders: Reynolds, Connolly, Edwards - Kill me now!

Edited by ArabFC

In fact look at the squad...
Forwards: Shankland, McNulty, Clark - Can any other team outside the OF really claim to have much better options here?
Wide Players: Bolton, Chalmers, McMullan, Sporle, Appere - We could have done with another option on the left (Conway anyone?), but it's not bad!
Full backs: Robson and Smith - Solid dependable top six standard fullbacks for me.
Goalkeepers: Siegrist and Deniz - As good as yer gonna get outside the OF.
Midfield: Butcher, Harkes, Powers, King - Jesus Christ!
Defenders: Reynolds, Connolly, Edwards - Kill me now!

From the outside, I think you’re over rating your wide players and full backs somewhat.

As for the striking options, Shankland should be scoring goals, but he’s not and I don’t think you’d find many Hibs fans upset about McNulty not returning. Add in the fact that Clark has never played top flight football and I’m not sure your strikers are as enviable as you’d like to think. Of course if Shankland starts scoring then sure many teams would want him, but as yet it’s not happened.

25 minutes ago, Widge said:

From the outside, I think you’re over rating your wide players and full backs somewhat.

As for the striking options, Shankland should be scoring goals, but he’s not and I don’t think you’d find many Hibs fans upset about McNulty not returning. Add in the fact that Clark has never played top flight football and I’m not sure your strikers are as enviable as you’d like to think. Of course if Shankland starts scoring then sure many teams would want him, but as yet it’s not happened.

I hardly think it's overrating our full backs to say they are solid dependable top six players when we are, right now, top six, and Jamie Robson is arguably our player of the year thus far, and Smith showed what a difference it makes to have him back yesterday.

Our wide players aren't great, that's why I merely described them as "not bad" - not the real problem.

As for Shankland, yer having a laugh!