The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Mellon is fair making an arse of things the past few weeks.

A positive result tomorrow though and that perspective decidedly changes. He'll still have you comfortable IMO. I've watched highlights and a few of your games and there's no way you lot are considerably worse than St Mirren or St Johnstone this season IMO. And he's not at the stage where he's challenging fans to a fight ala Brian Rice.

That's a Ludo guarantee in the style of Darren Jackson.

Edited by Ludo*1

16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Mellon is fair making an arse of things the past few weeks.

A positive result tomorrow though and that perspective decidedly changes. He'll still have you comfortable IMO. I've watched highlights and a few of your games and there's no way you lot are considerably worse than St Mirren or St Johnstone this season IMO. And he's not at the stage where he's challenging fans to a fight ala Brian Rice.

That's a Ludo guarantee in the style of Darren Jackson.

I have to agree with this. I don't think we'll be scrapping in a relegation fight this season. But I don't think we'll be in the top 6 either. A lot of fans have mega expectations of the club in the current climate that aren't realistic. 

I'm more than happy to criticise Mellon though and some of the decisions he's making is baffling. For instance letting Freeman go on loan when he's our only realistic option for cover at RB (I know Bolton can play there but it's waste of his talents) and his persistence with 3 at the back and playing Butcher and Harkes together when both are struggling. 

That said I wouldn't be surprised to see changes at the weekend. 

1 minute ago, ArabianKnight said:

I have to agree with this. I don't think we'll be scrapping in a relegation fight this season. But I don't think we'll be in the top 6 either. A lot of fans have mega expectations of the club in the current climate that aren't realistic. 

I'm more than happy to criticise Mellon though and some of the decisions he's making is baffling. For instance letting Freeman go on loan when he's our only realistic option for cover at RB (I know Bolton can play there but it's waste of his talents) and his persistence with 3 at the back and playing Butcher and Harkes together when both are struggling. 

That said I wouldn't be surprised to see changes at the weekend. 

Far be it for me to defend an Arab manager, but he'll still be finding his way in Scottish football. This is his first taste of managing in the Scottish leagues and it's not as if he played in the Scottish leagues either in a career that goes back to 1989 according to Wiki.

I'm naturally, willing him to fail, but some baffling decisions are to be expected or he wouldn't be managing Dundee United after 12 year in management!

32 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I'm more than happy to criticise Mellon though and some of the decisions he's making is baffling. For instance letting Freeman go on loan when he's our only realistic option for cover at RB.

He has chosen to play both Bolton and Neilson ahead of Freeman, so basically he's 4th choice RB. Sending him on loan in this context is hardly baffling. As with Mochrie and Glass - if they're not getting games, then they're best away for some match experience.

Whether they should have been getting gametime is another matter.

Just now, ArabFC said:

He has chosen to play both Bolton and Neilson ahead of Freeman, so basically he's 4th choice RB. Sending him on loan in this context is hardly baffling. As with Mochrie and Glass - if they're not getting games, then they're best away for some match experience.

Whether they should have been getting gametime is another matter.

That's my point though, Freeman is more of a natural full back than those two and they are better played elsewhere. 

The problem I have with Mellon is that in his first few weeks I got a sense of what he was about and how he wanted the team to play. A few months on and I no longer have any idea what's going on!

We're just playing shite in random formations while he constantly screams "keep going" at a bunch of players not doing much.

50 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

The problem I have with Mellon is that in his first few weeks I got a sense of what he was about and how he wanted the team to play. A few months on and I no longer have any idea what's going on!

We're just playing shite in random formations while he constantly screams "keep going" at a bunch of players not doing much.

#WeGoAgain

Ive seen rumours appearing again that MM is becoming a little hacked off with the transfer policy.

Guess it could be people reading onto Hoti getting shipped out already along with the other rumours of us not having the budget for players he wanted while bringing in Hoti and Fuchs.

Maybe its Asghar over ruling him, maybe its because he was after guys like Edwards (who may yet improve but looks poor so far) and Tony has pulled the plug. Who knows. But his early energy has definitely lessened and I'm wondering if he's beginning to realise this is a harder job than he first thought. Or was lead to believe....

Edited by mishtergrolsch

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

You bunch of DAB's be tuning in tonight?

Thank you.

Always rely on Dundee to cheer us all up.

As bad as our defence is I’ll always be thankful that at least it doesn’t include Jordan Forster.