The Dundee United Thread 22/23

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Aye, Brian McLean, Paul Ritchie and Mark Connolly are in with a shout too if I'm smoking what you are.

The Kenneth that played next to Wilkie/Dods/Webster etc was brilliant. Thats the version I choose to remember. I also think people forget how good he was, and towards the end he lost it a bit ill grant you but that statement is still a bit mental when you look back and see names like Chiarini, Lauchlan, McCracken and Chris Innes. Its a fucking miracle we werent relegated more between the late 90s and 2006. Those boys make dumplings like Morris and Durnan look like Nesta and Cannavarro.

Fojut was good. Probably one of our better ones too.

Kenneth had a good season in 09/10. But, as is the en  vogue thing to say, this was purely down to Andy Webster.

he played at Hampden for his boyhood club & lifted the Big Cup, something we’d all kill for. No one can take that from him.

he was approaching average at best, and got away with murder because he was ‘one of us’ (much like our Dee friends who idolise that cart horse Kerr)

big GK won the cup at 22, and ran a bus to our next final at 26. 

Edited by PartyFears2

1 hour ago, PartyFears2 said:

Kenneth had a good season in 09/10. But, as is the en  vogue thing to say, this was purely down to Andy Webster.

he played at Hampden for his boyhood club & lifted the Big Cup, something we’d all kill for. No one can take that from him.

he was approaching average at best, and got away with murder because he was ‘one of us’ (much like our Dee friends who idolise that cart horse Kerr)

As I said before, the Kenneth that played along side the three seasoned pros was great. It won him 2 Scotland caps and a Scottish cup medal. That alone puts him in a higher category than the sweeping majority of centre halfs we've had for a long long time.

Again, he wasn't great before he left, was a bit of a baw bag then had a poor spell down south with a bad injury record down there too but to say he was approaching average is silly. Remember, Wilkie retired, Webster left and Dods had been lowered into the vat of molten metal by then. He had Scott Severin and Gaving Gunning to play next to...

Think of all the shite like Lauchlan, Donaldson and Marc Cocozza. Even guys like Tony Smith and Andy Todd are what we're talking about here. Fucking Scott Patterson and the likes. Kenneth was head and shoulders above that lot. And most of them were in the same decade!

He wasnt the best defender we've ever had but when he was on form he was comfortably one of the (definitely not the) best weve had since the millennium id say.

2 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

and was playing amateur fitba aginst the likes of me at 29.

That said, while never technically the best, he played pretty much whenever he was fit for us and tended to deserve to.

ps - I don't think anyone has mentioned Archibald

Edited by ArabFC

7 hours ago, ArabFC said:

ps - I don't think anyone has mentioned Archibald

Archie was good. Had a great first season then was steady in the middle for a while before he, as every defender at that time, lost it before he left. And if that shot in the Cup Final had gone in instead of hitting the bar...

7 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Archie was good. Had a great first season then was steady in the middle for a while before he, as every defender at that time, lost it before he left. And if that shot in the Cup Final had gone in instead of hitting the bar...

Celtic would have went up the other end and scored the winner in the 5th minute of injury time.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

9 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Think of all the shite like Lauchlan, Donaldson and Marc Cocozza. Even guys like Tony Smith and Andy Todd are what we're talking about here. Fucking Scott Patterson and the likes. Kenneth was head and shoulders above that lot. And most of them were in the same decade!

Tony Smith wasn't a central defender, but I'll agree he struggled at Tannadice. He was about 5'7" and played left midfield. Not very often.

53 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Tony Smith wasn't a central defender, but I'll agree he struggled at Tannadice. He was about 5'7" and played left midfield. Not very often.

I must be getting him confused with someone else then! Will have to have a look back at those teams and jog my memories as a form of self punishment. 

On 13/08/2020 at 17:27, ArabFC said:

Connolly given an extended contract.

sack the board, sack the manager, sack fcuking everyone!

I’m sure there’ll be plenty happy with this, but clearly you’re all fcuking morons. 

Jesus wept!

I’m away for a lie down.

Seriously, I'm not tuning into another game until we sign a fucking bang average centre-back!

This really isn't good enough tbh.

It is worse than that.

Truly horrific performance last night. Our reserve goalkeeper was our best player.

I like some of the players in this squad, and it’s maybe just because they were the ones who finally got us out of the championship. The reality though? Our regular first eleven contains about 6 players who are not good enough to be Premiership starters.

I also like Mellon, and I feel for him that he has inherited a squad like this, however his tactics and changes over the last fortnight really need to be questioned.

An interesting weekend ahead with regards to the transfer window.

20 minutes ago, big al said:

Where you getting that from?

Everyone that is in the know is saying it.

Expecting Neil Doncaster to get the ball rolling in the next few weeks.

It's unfortunate for the Championship clubs that are desperate for promotion but these are unprecedented times.

Everyone that is in the know is saying it.
Expecting Neil Doncaster to get the ball rolling in the next few weeks.
It's unfortunate for the Championship clubs that are desperate for promotion but these are unprecedented times.
What would the point to no relegation be?