The Dundee United Thread 22/23

6 minutes ago, Tap in 94 said:

Striker, left winger and creative midfielder 

It's an instant ban for anyone that doesn't have centre-back at the top of the list, right?

Please God, give me a bang average centre-back to improve the team!

29 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

It's an instant ban for anyone that doesn't have centre-back at the top of the list, right?

Please God, give me a bang average centre-back to improve the team!

Centre back the top priority for me.  It’s our weakest position by far.

I rate Nicky Clark but I’m not sure I’m in the majority.  Shankland, Appere and Clark gives us attacking options.

We’ve brought in Hoti who should give us midfield options and Sporle has shown he can play wide.

I wouldnt be opposed to bringing in a better sitting midfielder and moving Butcher to centre half.

He was decent last season but im not too sure he's good enough in midfield at this level for the long run. Not the best on the ball and, imo, hes more suited at the back. 

But if we end up finding a bog standard, steady Eddie CH then sign him up!

Its got to be sorting CH out first, then a creative midfielder at the least. If we find that magic money tree then a winger capable of crossing the ball would be nice.

I doubt we're looking for a centre half. Mellon's all about getting the right type of character and working hard. In the first team squad we've already got (i) the captain, (ii) a guy who's just been given a new three year deal, (iii) a guy who Mellon's been after for years and has just signed and (iv) a highly rated young guy. Looks like Mellon likes all of them. Unfortunately 2 (arguably 3) appear prone to brain farts and 1 is just a bairn but I don't see any of them being ditched any time soon. Mellon will be looking to try to improve them rather than replace them.

Fojut won't be coming back to Dundee because he thought it was a shite hole. As much as I love the fine city of discovery, if you look at where he's playing now you'll see why he won't be back here.

Good player but I feel he's not as good as some folk seem to remember him being. He'd walk into this current defence to be fair, but hed get nowhere near the 2010 defence, put it that way.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

On 24/09/2020 at 19:31, Loemba90 said:

Declan Glass going to Partick Thistle on loan and Freeman joining Peterhead on loan.

Both desperately need games - Declan Glass has been completely/oddly overlooked by both Neilson and Mellon since returning from Cove (why didn't they want him back?); and Keiran Freeman is coming up for 21 and, as far as I can see, has played a grand total of 3 professional games.  Hopefully next summer they come back ready to compete for starting berths. 

On 24/09/2020 at 20:46, ArabianKnight said:

Moral of the story is... We're just a classy club and better in every way. 

True.

On 25/09/2020 at 14:13, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Hope Thistle are down at that level for a good few seasons. 

Here's hoping Cove smash that league, leaving Ian McCall and Falkirk in League One another year...

On 25/09/2020 at 15:20, Pull My Strings said:

I don't blame Partick for the ludicrous legal challenge. They were clearly just desperate and were hanging onto Hearts' coattails. Left to their own devices I'm sure they would have just taken their medicine and fucked off to the seasides.

Their Chairman was on the BBC numerous times, and spoke very well on the subject so I suspect you're right - even though they were no doubt far more unfairly treated than Hearts.  That being said, I'm not going to wish well any club that has Ian McCall at the helm.  

On 25/09/2020 at 19:59, Szamo's_Ammo said:

What do we need before the transfer window closes on 5 October?

Garry Kenneth and Andy Webster, circa 2009.

On 25/09/2020 at 20:44, Granny Danger said:

I rate Nicky Clark but I’m not sure I’m in the majority.  Shankland, Appere and Clark gives us attacking options.

Clark found some great positions yesterday - with a bit of composure could have had a hat-trick... 

A bit puzzling why Appere getting such little game-time.

On 25/09/2020 at 22:32, mishtergrolsch said:

I wouldnt be opposed to bringing in a better sitting midfielder and moving Butcher to centre half.

Butcher is, in my eyes, the biggest disappointment of the season so far - he has been way off the pace.  Should have been sent off in the first half vs. St Mirren for a ludicrous tackle (which was no prettier than the one Tait was sent off for half an hour later) and had to be taken off yesterday because he was one foul away from a red. 

Centre-half or the subs bench, for me.

2 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

Butcher is, in my eyes, the biggest disappointment of the season so far - he has been way off the pace.  Should have been sent off in the first half vs. St Mirren for a ludicrous tackle (which was no prettier than the one Tait was sent off for half an hour later) and had to be taken off yesterday because he was one foul away from a red. 

Centre-half or the subs bench, for me.

I've always had a suspicion Butcher wouldn't be good enough to play in midfield in this league. He's a decent centre half playing out of position and got away with it last year but sadly I don't think he will this year. Centre half for me.

Oh, and Lee Wilkie > Garry Kenneth but id gladly have either of them playing!