The Dundee United Thread 22/23

3 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Can we dare to dream?!!

Reveal hidden contents

Bookmark this for our inevitable 9th place finish.

Never actually listened to this all the way through and holy shit this is way better than the UCL theme.

13 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Never actually listened to this all the way through and holy shit this is way better than the UCL theme.

I actually prefer the Nations League one, it's an absolute banger.

7 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

More likely to be the new Europa Conference competition if anything, but Scotland gets 5 European spots from next season and the forecasters fancy us thus far 😁

Yeah, probably, only the Cup Winners qualify for the Europa League.

You guys are all thinking small. We're going to win the league then win the Champions league. Following this, we will be invited to the English Premiership at which time the entire population of Gorgie will spontaneously combust. 

Eta I actually think he'd manage to mastermind a win away to Alloa hes that good.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

13 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Still to be convinced by Sporle. Sad to talk in monetary terms but I can see Nielsen netting us a tidy sum in a few years.

I thought Sporle was excellent yesterday - seems to have the confidence to run at anyone and, unlike other full/wing backs, is happy to cut inside as well as go on the outside.  Considering he barely kicked a ball all of last season, he has got up to speed this term very quickly.

Lining up without Robson and Smith at full back should have made us very vulnerable - but we handled County extremely well, and Sporle was a big part of that.

12 hours ago, ArabFC said:

So, is Pawlett the current leader in the PotY standings? 😏

Yes.  Well, joint-top with Luke Bolton at least.

In my eyes he was one of our best players against St Johnstone, dominated up against Turnbull and Campbell against Motherwell, and yesterday was as good as anyone (perhaps with the exception of Luke Bolton).  He seems a lot more aggressive/energetic than last season and is the only midfielder that consistently goes beyond the strikers (whilst Harkes has also started brightly, he shoots from 30+ yards or passes the ball off - and very rarely has got himself beyond Appere) and is unlucky to only have one goal so far.  In my likely unpopular opinion, at this present moment he is highlighting a lot of Butcher's weaknesses, i.e. an inability to get on the ball and play positive passes when games are relatively calm (Butcher played well when forced to scrap it out with Gogic against Hibs, but the other games have largely bypassed him) - Mellon was quite right to bring him off yesterday.

As I said on this thread before, last season Pawlett showed some glimpses of absolute quality (in 6-2 and 6-0 home wins, admittedly) but was far too inconsistent and looked really lethargic/tired at times.  This season is only 4 games old, granted, but thus far looks a completely different player - fully fit and probably benefiting more than anyone else from an absence of groans from the George Fox... 

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I thought Sporle was excellent yesterday - seems to have the confidence to run at anyone and, unlike other full/wing backs, is happy to cut inside as well as go on the outside.  Considering he barely kicked a ball all of last season, he has got up to speed this term very quickly.

Lining up without Robson and Smith at full back should have made us very vulnerable - but we handled County extremely well, and Sporle was a big part of that.

Yes.  Well, joint-top with Luke Bolton at least.

In my eyes he was one of our best players against St Johnstone, dominated up against Turnbull and Campbell against Motherwell, and yesterday was as good as anyone (perhaps with the exception of Luke Bolton).  He seems a lot more aggressive/energetic than last season and is the only midfielder that consistently goes beyond the strikers (whilst Harkes has also started brightly, he shoots from 30+ yards or passes the ball off - and very rarely has got himself beyond Appere) and is unlucky to only have one goal so far.  In my likely unpopular opinion, at this present moment he is highlighting a lot of Butcher's weaknesses, i.e. an inability to get on the ball and play positive passes when games are relatively calm (Butcher played well when forced to scrap it out with Gogic against Hibs, but the other games have largely bypassed him) - Mellon was quite right to bring him off yesterday.

As I said on this thread before, last season Pawlett showed some glimpses of absolute quality (in 6-2 and 6-0 home wins, admittedly) but was far too inconsistent and looked really lethargic/tired at times.  This season is only 4 games old, granted, but thus far looks a completely different player - fully fit and probably benefiting more than anyone else from an absence of groans from the George Fox... 

Isn't it amazing what happens when players are actually allowed to get over injuries rather than having to take injections before every game, being rushed back early from injury etc.

Still early days but it really does feel like Ann Budge has done us a massive favour. MM just seems to be getting more from a lot of these guys than Neilson ever could. I mean Logan Chalmers couldn't get a game on loan at Arbroath last year and there he is playing 90 minutes yesterday and going past a couple of players in the lead up to the winning goal. His passion is infectious as well. Happy as f**k with how this last couple of weeks has gone.

Still early days but it really does feel like Ann Budge has done us a massive favour. MM just seems to be getting more from a lot of these guys than Neilson ever could. I mean Logan Chalmers couldn't get a game on loan at Arbroath last year and there he is playing 90 minutes yesterday and going past a couple of players in the lead up to the winning goal. His passion is infectious as well. Happy as f**k with how this last couple of weeks has gone.
Screenshot_20200730-091003_Reddit.jpg

7 minutes ago, coppola said:

Neilson was/is fucking useless.  He should have been binned even if Budge hadn’t offered him the Hearts gig, though he wouldn’t have been.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Neilson was/is fucking useless.  He should have been binned even if Budge hadn’t offered him the Hearts gig, though he wouldn’t have been.

I never liked Neilson even when we were winning. That said you can't sack a manager who just won you the league.

I wonder how we'd have been getting on right now if Dutch Steve had taken the gig.

2 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

Isn't it amazing what happens when players are actually allowed to get over injuries rather than having to take injections before every game, being rushed back early from injury etc.

Our previous manager would have probably rushed Shankland back for the Hibs game. 

13 hours ago, ArabFC said:

More likely to be the new Europa Conference competition if anything, but Scotland gets 5 European spots from next season and the forecasters fancy us thus far 😁

ddda.png

If! Motherwell keep Turnbull there’s no way they will finish 3rd bottom. 
They were the better side at Easter road yesterday. 

26 minutes ago, big al said:

They were the better side at Easter road yesterday. 

I would agree. I do still think the top 6 will be Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs, Motherwell and A N Other.

1 hour ago, big al said:

Its more important they keep Gallagher fit IMO.

A dreadful defence can easily relegate you.