The Dundee United Thread 22/23

6 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Connolly has the odd brain fart and seems to be flirting with a red card every game but we dont concede as many goals as we did before he and Reynolds joined.

He made the mistake in the opening game but we've only concede one (offside) goal since then.

Hes no Maldini but hes no Donaldson or Durnan either.

If that's how high the bar is set then fucking hell.

The defence was even better than that with a guy thats signed for Dunfermline in the league below.

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Och, for as long as I remember United fans have had to have someone as a target. Right now it's Mark Connolly. Except when it's Ian Harkes.

Players that are often targeted by fans are the likes of Conway, Fraser, McMullan. Guys we all knew had talent but were irritatingly inconsistent or just didn't try hard enough.

Fans don't tend to target players who would run through brick walls to get their head on the ball like Connolly - he's just not good enough - it blows my mind that some folk think he is, and the fact that Micky might rate him, well... 😭

Edited by ArabFC

Going back to the season we went down and the start of the banter years, a load of my mates all used to moan about how our centre halves were too soft and they wanted a couple of big hard guys who just headed the hall away and defended. Once we signed a couple of guys like that in Connolly and Reynolds most of them did an about turn and started moaning about how bad they were on the ball, and how we needed guys who could play out from the back. I don’t know where they thought we were going to magic up a couple of big, tough centre halves who were comfortable on the ball and could play out from the back whilst we were playing in the Championship. 

7 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Going back to the season we went down and the start of the banter years, a load of my mates all used to moan about how our centre halves were too soft and they wanted a couple of big hard guys who just headed the hall away and defended. Once we signed a couple of guys like that in Connolly and Reynolds most of them did an about turn and started moaning about how bad they were on the ball, and how we needed guys who could play out from the back. I don’t know where they thought we were going to magic up a couple of big, tough centre halves who were comfortable on the ball and could play out from the back whilst we were playing in the Championship. 

I think it highlights how poor the expectations were that we all pined for a couple of brick walls after suffering Durnan and Donaldson. But thats an incredibly low bar. Then its William Edgenguele who now, after leaving us plays for Wealdstone in the English National Leagues and has played 7 games since 2019 for them. The bar dropped even further with him. Three of the worst centre halfs since the days of McCracken and co.

So no fucking wonder people hailed Mark Connolly. But in reality he's not good enough. I say again, when he was out injured we were so much calmer, organised and solid when Paul Watson and Reynolds played last season. His commitment and attitude are great and can't be questioned but thats what I think masks his glaring weaknesses to alot of fans.

15 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

If that's how high the bar is set then fucking hell.

The defence was even better than that with a guy thats signed for Dunfermline in the league below.

If it weren't Covid, Im pretty sure Watson would have been made an offer. His contract ending at the height of the pandemic was unfortunate

35 minutes ago, Steven W said:

If it weren't Covid, Im pretty sure Watson would have been made an offer. His contract ending at the height of the pandemic was unfortunate

Don't think so. I'm fairly sure there were reports long before lockdown started that he wouldn't be getting a new contract.

6 hours ago, Tap in 94 said:

The way some folk go on about Watson you'd think he was as good as Sash or Heggy 

Lol. 

The way some people go on about Connolly youd think he was Heggy and Narey's lovechild birthed by Lee Wilkie, delivered by Andy Webster and nursed by Darren Dods while Fojut waited outside the delivery room.

Am I doing this right?

Edited by mishtergrolsch

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Lol. 

The way some people go on about Connolly youd think he was Heggy and Narey's lovechild birthed by Lee Wilkie, delivered by Andy Webster and nursed by Darren Dods while Fojut waited outside the delivery room.

Am I doing this right?

The way some people go on about Heggy and Narey, you'd think we'd barely had a half decent defender since...