The Dundee United Thread 22/23

7 hours ago, captainkev said:

I thought he was interviewed when Houston left and McNamara got the job?

Correct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21211871

And after McNaFortune was hoofed. Well, allegedly. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steven-pressley-tells-dundee-united-6535586.amp

I think that one was more about whoring himself about to fool some lower league English club. Think he ended up at the giants that are Carlisle or something after that.

21 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Correct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21211871

And after McNaFortune was hoofed. Well, allegedly. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steven-pressley-tells-dundee-united-6535586.amp

I think that one was more about whoring himself about to fool some lower league English club. Think he ended up at the giants that are Carlisle or something after that.

I'd forgotten Dodds was the other main contender to McNamara and Pressley for replacing Houston. You have to wonder if Thompson's long game was actually to get us relegated...

4 hours ago, captainkev said:

I'd forgotten Dodds was the other main contender to McNamara and Pressley for replacing Houston. You have to wonder if Thompson's long game was actually to get us relegated...

If it was then he played a fucking blinder. 

On 02/05/2021 at 19:08, Mark Connolly said:

Pressley on OTB earlier claimed the playoff against Thistle was the last time Tannadice was sold out.

Now, I'm not one to call that arsehole a lying p***k without evidence, but I'm sure I've been at at least 3 or 4 home sellouts since 1996.

Thinking about that Thistle game: it wasn't a sell out.

A few weeks before it, Tannadice held a bigger attendance for a match against Dunfermline, and it wasn't a sell out either. There were plenty of spaces in the main stand which housed Thistle's support in the play off match.

11 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Jamie Newman got a contract extension today. Wonder if he's being seen as the Siegrist replacement.

* Jack. 

If he develops he might start pushing Deniz for a place on the bench but there's no way he'll be pushed straight in as No. 1. Has he ever played a competitive first team game?

If Benji goes he'll be replaced by another experienced keeper.

Seeing the OF are now making an attempt to gain access to the league system by trying to bribe their way into the Lowland League, it reminded me of a story about them tapping up some of our prospects recently. I note on one of the fan sites an ITK poster who used to  post first team selections in advance saying that the OF have been after Neilson, Mochrie and Fotheringham for their U20 projects, all of whom have, I think, at least one more year on their contracts. 

Worrying developments if true, and I think there is more than a fraction of fact in the tales. 

Just now, mishtergrolsch said:

Of he goes i hope Asghar goes with him.

I’m struggling to understand why he didn’t change things more radically today when it was obvious the strategy wasn’t working.

Pig headed twat.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m struggling to understand why he didn’t change things more radically today when it was obvious the strategy wasn’t working.

Pig headed twat.

Probably because the bench is rubbish or full of bairns.

1 minute ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Probably because the bench is rubbish or full of bairns.

You reckon a 4-4-2 with Chalmers and Sporle wasn’t a better option to what was on offer?

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

You reckon a 4-4-2 with Chalmers and Sporle wasn’t a better option to what was on offer?

I don't think any line up we could put together would have made any difference at all.

We can't change Robson or Smith. Two of the biggest problems.

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Pig headed twat.

Pretty harsh - Mellon has (as you know...) guided a pretty average team to Premiership safety and a cup semi-final.  He has ticked all of the boxes that he was required to, and in Edwards and Fuchs has brought in two signings that have materially improved the team.  We lost a game to a superior team that are in better form - hardly the end of the world. 

8 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

We can't change Robson or Smith. Two of the biggest problems.

Are you serious? 

Jamie Robson was our best player both yesterday and against Aberdeen in the last round - kept Matty Kennedy and Martin Boyle completely anonymous.  There aren't many full backs in this league that can do that.  Granted he has been inconsistent at times, but he is the best left-back we have had in years and is still only 23.  A quick search on Arab Archive tells me that he is now on a par with Barry Robson and Craig Conway in terms of games played (68th of all time...) - he is still a way off their quality but he still has a ton of potential.

In my eyes Liam Smith has been our 3rd best performer over the course of the season, behind Siegrist and Fuchs.  Good, solid right-back (as discussed on here at length, this is not a position we have been able to adequately fill since Keith Watson left in January 2015) and is definitely improving going forward.  Just a pity that Robson, Smith and Edwards don't have a 4th defender alongside them...   

49 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

Are you serious? 

Jamie Robson was our best player both yesterday and against Aberdeen in the last round - kept Matty Kennedy and Martin Boyle completely anonymous.  There aren't many full backs in this league that can do that.  Granted he has been inconsistent at times, but he is the best left-back we have had in years and is still only 23.  A quick search on Arab Archive tells me that he is now on a par with Barry Robson and Craig Conway in terms of games played (68th of all time...) - he is still a way off their quality but he still has a ton of potential.

In my eyes Liam Smith has been our 3rd best performer over the course of the season, behind Siegrist and Fuchs.  Good, solid right-back (as discussed on here at length, this is not a position we have been able to adequately fill since Keith Watson left in January 2015) and is definitely improving going forward.  Just a pity that Robson, Smith and Edwards don't have a 4th defender alongside them...   

I'm serious.

Robson can't cross a road and Smith is just about as bad. Considering they are our only wide players its criminal.

Neither are solid enough. Yesterday wasn't just down to them but the fact we have nobody to replace them with is an issue. 

Yesterday highlights the lack of quality in the team to compete against teams like Hibs and actually make them sweat.

If that was Martin Boyle anonymous yesterday then he must look like Ronaldo at an under 12s most weeks because at times he ripped us a new one. The mazy run past about 3 or 4 players before Edwards takes him down in particular. 

Edited by mishtergrolsch